Why does my iPhone say I have 13MB of photos?

SuzanneT

Aug 7, 2007
Why does my iPhone say I have 13MB of photos when I only have less than 1mb photos?

When I know I don't have that many on there? I checked the folder that I synched, and it totalled just under 1mb! I even deleted all photos on the camera roll, synched again, and it still says 13mb. Am I missing something?

DiscoJoey

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
When I know I don't have that many on there? I checked the folder that I synched, and it totalled just under 1mb! I even deleted all photos on the camera roll, synched again, and it still says 13mb. Am I missing something?
I HAVE THE SAME QUESTION! i made a thread but no one knows. the pictures are suppose to be made smaller but the files are huge!

SuzanneT

Aug 7, 2007
I went back and counted again......

Thanks DiscoJoey, I went back and counted again. I have a total of 17 photos, most of them are around 20-50k. Nothing over 100k. One weird thing I am seeing three albums in the Photo Albums window:

*Camera Roll
*Photo Library (17)
*Uploaded Photos (17)

Do I dare delete the "Photo Library" album, since it appears that it's identical to my uploaded photos? Are they being duplicated? Would I save space?

Now I wish I had bought the 8G :(

MrSoprano

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007

i have the same problem. i have a bunch of photos on iPhone and on my pc they only total around 400-500mb but on iPhone almost 2gig, not cool at all. i am interested to know if there is a fix to this!

GP78

Jul 2, 2007
NJ, USA
I wonder if it counts album art as "photos"?

If you guys have a large iTunes library that you're syncing... maybe all the cover art is hogging up your "photo" usage?

SuzanneT

Aug 7, 2007
Hey Thanks GP78! I never thought of that..... that's probably part of it.

Okay, I just checked and the album cover art is less that 1 mb as well.

Where are the missing 11mb? :confused:

OPTICS

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Do I dare delete the "Photo Library" album, since it appears that it's identical to my uploaded photos? Are they being duplicated? Would I save space?
I don't think you can delete Photo Library since it is pretty much an all in one folder for the images that you synced, not pics that you've taken with the phone. For example you have 10 folders with 5 pics in each folder. The Photo Library will say you have 50 pictures. They pretty much act as short cuts I think.

OPTICS

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Maybe the preloaded wallpapers, contact pics (not the pics that are in your photo roll, but the pics you take for contacts, these pics are not viewable through PHOTOS)

SuzanneT

Aug 7, 2007
True, I didn't think of that..... and there doesn't seem to be any way to tell the size of these. I used to be able to look on my Treo and see the size of everything that was on it. But I can't imagine that the 3 or 4 pics that I uploaded to attach to contacts would amount to 11 mb. I'm really careful to resize the photos so that they're very small.

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
True, I didn't think of that..... and there doesn't seem to be any way to tell the size of these. I used to be able to look on my Treo and see the size of everything that was on it. But I can't imagine that the 3 or 4 pics that I uploaded to attach to contacts would amount to 11 mb. I'm really careful to resize the photos so that they're very small.
I would make sure you have copies of all the photos that are on the phone on your computer, then turn off photo syncing in iTunes and see what the result is. If it still shows a high number of photos on the iPhone, try to reboot the iPhone, reboot the PC and sync your photos back. Last resort is a restore of the iPhone.

I had a similar issue with a iTunes playlist, it was syncing things that didn't belong on the list, stopped syncing it, rebooted everything and another sync solved the problem.

SuzanneT

Aug 7, 2007
Okay, I turned off synching for the 'Photos' folder, and when I synched, it eliminated all the photos except for what was previously on the iPhone taken by the camera - just one photo in the Camera Roll folder. It only eliminated .01 GB.............. help me out, I'm not that great in math.......... how much would that be? :oops: