Why does the Sync crash?

crs127

Dec 20, 2007
Why does the Sync crash, when i am trying to add music, pics or podcast?
Everything else syncs fine and then it gets to the music, pics, etc and the it crashes.
It will start to update a file, i.e. a song and then the sync in progress on the iPhone goes away to the home screen.
I am sorry if this topic has been talked about but i did a search and couldnt find anything.
Thanks in advance.
-C

Attachments

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Why does the Sync crash, when i am trying to add music, pics or podcast?
Everything else syncs fine and then it gets to the music, pics, etc and the it crashes.
It will start to update a file, i.e. a song and then the sync in progress on the iPhone goes away to the home screen.
I am sorry if this topic has been talked about but i did a search and couldnt find anything.
Thanks in advance.
-C
First I would restart computer, and also shut down the iPhone by hard reset, Hold down sleep/wake until the slide to shutoff, then shut it down, Then start iPhone again and recconnect, then try and sync aganin.

If that does not work, Have you updated the iTunes software? Download the latest. Install on computer. , then restart computer, then attach phone.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have had this problem with my dual dock for the BT headset. For whatever reason, it would crash when trying in add new music on the phone.
Try a different cable if you have one and connect directly -not using any dock.

crs127

Dec 20, 2007
weird!

i had my iPhone connected via USB hub to my imac with the lastest iTunes and it did sync up before trying to sync the music and pics.
I tried everything people posted(found another thread on this topic as well) and the only thing that worked was plugging directly into the computer.
Thanks for the quick replies.
-C

I have had this problem with my dual dock for the BT headset. For whatever reason, it would crash when trying in add new music on the phone.
Try a different cable if you have one and connect directly -not using any dock.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
i had my iPhone connected via USB hub to my imac with the lastest iTunes and it did sync up before trying to sync the music and pics.
I tried everything people posted(found another thread on this topic as well) and the only thing that worked was plugging directly into the computer.
Thanks for the quick replies.
-C
Sounds like something took a crap with the USB hub. You might want to uninstall it from the device manager and re-install it again and see if it's usable again.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Sounds like something took a crap with the USB hub. You might want to uninstall it from the device manager and re-install it again and see if it's usable again.

Yeah if we would have seen your comment about the HUB that is the main problem. Thanks Hawk. Have a good one 2nite.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm glad someone posted this because I was about to. I've been having a horrible time syncing lately. It resulted the other night in a faulty backup/restore of my phone that left me having to redo all my settings.

I get the same issue... though sometimes I even have trouble just connecting, let alone syncing. Often when I do sync, however, it hangs and goes to the homescreen on the phone when it tries to transfer any media.

The weird thing is, the times that it does work reliably are those inexplicable times that I connect the phone and it shows up as a USB 1.1 device (i.e. SLOW)... I get a warning to connect to a faster port from Windows XP, but this is the only way iTunes will properly talk to the phone now.

As said, I've done a complete restore. I'm connecting directly to computer... I've tried all 6 ports, no hub, different cables. I've canned-air-blasted my docks, gotten rid of all other USB devices, shut down any non-essential background processes... everything I can think of. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I'm glad someone posted this because I was about to. I've been having a horrible time syncing lately. It resulted the other night in a faulty backup/restore of my phone that left me having to redo all my settings.

I get the same issue... though sometimes I even have trouble just connecting, let alone syncing. Often when I do sync, however, it hangs and goes to the homescreen on the phone when it tries to transfer any media.

The weird thing is, the times that it does work reliably are those inexplicable times that I connect the phone and it shows up as a USB 1.1 device (i.e. SLOW)... I get a warning to connect to a faster port from Windows XP, but this is the only way iTunes will properly talk to the phone now.

As said, I've done a complete restore. I'm connecting directly to computer... I've tried all 6 ports, no hub, different cables. I've canned-air-blasted my docks, gotten rid of all other USB devices, shut down any non-essential background processes... everything I can think of. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

Stupid question...are you using USB 2.0 ? It sounds like a faulty USB or cable.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
It's 2.0 for everything else.

I re-read your post again, so the only other problem could be the cable, it has to be. I am sure you have done the hard reset of the phone, iTunes software reload and reboot?

Cable....................................Screendoor...........................>>

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
He said that he's tried different cables...I'd try a format and reinstall in all honesty, that has done wonders for my computer's in the past. Just back-up anything that you would like to hang onto, and it may be tedious but your whole system runs a crapload better. There is a way that you can go into the registry and reset all of that...but its more tedious than just reinstalling the OS. One last little hope is that you could uninstall the actual USB hub device itself and reinstall it. Sometimes that will reset all memory about the device connecting to the iPhone. Good luck

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I have several levels of system disk images that I can tap into, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
Try uninstalling everything related to your USB hub and controller first then do a reboot and let it reinstall, if that doesn't work you may be SOL :(

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Thanks I'll try that and will let you know how it goes.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, well pulling everything out, killing the USB root hubs, and reconnecting only my external hard drive (has my iTunes collection) and my iPhone... they redetect properly. Now the phone seems to be recognized by iTunes more consistently.

However, I still cannot sync media properly! It does a backup, syncs contacts, schedule, then starts to transfer audio (2 albums I'm trying to add for this example), the progress bar goes a tick or two, then it switches over and says it's optimizing photos for a second... then it goes back to the audio transfer and it's frozen. I can't stop the sync in iTunes, but I can on the iPhone ... but iTunes won't realize there's a problem until I physically disconnect.

It's extremely annoying... and completely out of my control, which sucks. On the off chance I connect and it shows up as a USB 1.1 device (like 1 in 20 tries), THEN it will sync properly, but SLOOOOWLY.

Nothing has changed on my computer... could the dock connector be screwed on my phone? If so, why do USB 1.1 transfers work?

I've tried to be as thorough as possible in my description of the problem in hopes that some of you have seen the same. I mean, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but I need to get to the bottom of it.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
It would seem to me like a cable problem because all it takes Is one are brig sligtly loose or it arcing connection to acres everything up. I'm sorry if I can't be of too much more assistance, I've never had a problem be this persistent, I hope someone else can chime in.

CoOoOoL

Bronze
Dec 2, 2007
sometimes if you changed some files path it crash ,you will find this ( ! ) in the leftside of the song ,if you donot need it delete it from itune then start again sync
good luck