Why does voice recognition change "gonna" to "going to" and what is the fix?

Duck1098

Bronze
Feb 16, 2012
It's among the annoying things iphone does. How can I get the damn thing to say type gonna and not change it to "going to"?

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Gonna is considered as slang.. I do not believe it's proper English when written but is used when spoken..

I could be wrong though..

Oh, I don't know how to change it because it's doing the correct / proper thing..

Edit to add:

Found this:

The pronunciation represented by gonna is common in informal speech. The written form should be avoided except when trying to represent or record such speech.
Link --> http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/gonna

Last edited:

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
It's among the annoying things iphone does. How can I get the damn thing to say type gonna and not change it to "going to"?
It's a slang word. If there was a dictionary then you could add the word. Try the App Store and maybe there is away to extend voice recognition.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just tested it. It works fine for me every time I emphasize the word gonna and pronounce it a little different. If I say gunna, it does type it as gonna. If I say gonna without any emphasis, it types it as going to. Try saying gunna somewhat slowly and with more emphasis than your other words.

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Just tested it. It works fine for me every time I emphasize the word gonna and pronounce it a little different. If I say gunna, it does type it as gonna. If I say gonna without any emphasis, it types it as going to. Try saying gunna somewhat slowly and with more emphasis than your other words.
I'm just gunna Lol at that one. Haha