Why does WiFi take so long to re-connect?

L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Sometimes, after my iPhone has been "sleeping" for a while, when I turn it on I'm on Edge, wifi will not connect for few minutes (not seconds). Sometimes it won't even connect if I go into settings.

It shows my router, looks likes it connecting, but I'm still on Edge (not just the symbol, but the web is slow as molasses, no iTunes, etc.), and then, when its good and ready, wifi is connected. Other times, when I wake my iPhone, its immediately, or almost immediately, connected via wifi.

Any thought on why this happens, and how to fix this?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hmmm. If it's happening on different wifi networks, and after a network settings reset and/or a restore, it could be a hardware problem with your wifi antenna. Especially if it's always been like this.

How long has it been? And any other networks other than home and work?

L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Hmmm. If it's happening on different wifi networks, and after a network settings reset and/or a restore, it could be a hardware problem with your wifi antenna. Especially if it's always been like this.

it's always been like this, but I don't think it an antenna issue. When it takes too long to reconnect to wifi I go into settings and under wifi it shows my router and a good signal strength, yet it doesn't connect?

Does your phone instantly reconnect to wifi?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Mine never takes longer than about 5 seconds after unlocking the screen to reconnect. How is your connection once it does reconnect? Stable? Good?

kevroc

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
I usually only connect to my wifi at home, but the connection is extremely transparent and quick for me. I'm always amazed at how well it works. It may be due to security settings, I only do mac filtering on my network for allowed devices, so I don't have stuff like WEP or WPA enabled.

L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Mine never takes longer than about 5 seconds after unlocking the screen to reconnect. How is your connection once it does reconnect? Stable? Good?
once it connects it's fine,signal strength varies as it does with other wifi devices in my house, but it never drops out and it fast once it's on, it's just the reconnecting after being asleep...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hmmm, how far do you live from an Apple store?

L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Hmmm, how far do you live from an Apple store?
There's one 2 minutes away from my office, but I'm not interested in swapping out this phone, the phone portion of it just works too good to take that chance, this is just a minor annoyance, at least at this point. I was just looking to see if anyone else had a similar problem and maybe had figured out a fix.

Thanks Psylichon and to all that replied!

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
My iPhone takes less than 5 seconds to re-connect to my wifi network. In fact, it is transparent when I walk in the front door from outside. It just works.

L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008

I'm changing my story on this (chuckle), I've been checking all day at work and so far it reconnects here (at work) almost immediately (within a few seconds).

So maybe it is my home wifi connection. I did recently reset/reboot the router and my iPhone wifi connection, and that seemed to make no difference, anyone have any other ideas?

L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Okay so after doing so more research and trying various things suggested here and on related threads, I noticed that my home router seemed to take a long time to supply IP addresses to my iPhone, once those addresses appeared, the wifi was connected.

So here's what I'm trying, I switiched IP address on the iPhone from DHCP to Static, now I'm in way over my head, but it definitely switches to wifi from edge fast, as fast if not faster than at my office.

Is there any real downside to switching my home router to "Static" IP? I have several other devices going through this router (my Verizon Fios TV, PC, PS3 and Wii) but I tested them all and after resetting everything have them all working fine.

Do I need DHCP enabled on the iPhone?

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well your pain has been my gain. I've been trying to figure out how to lock my iPhone to a static address for the longest time! I've always done it on the router side, but silly me never even thought to check out the wifi settings on the iPhone! This is really useful for SSH'ing into the iPhone. So thank you.

To answer your question, as long as everything else is working properly, you're probably ok. If you want to make sure, there should be an IP Address reservation list somewhere in your router settings. Just set it to the same IP as the static address assigned in the iPhone. Works here. Thanks again!

L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Well your pain has been my gain. I've been trying to figure out how to lock my iPhone to a static address for the longest time! I've always done it on the router side, but silly me never even thought to check out the wifi settings on the iPhone! This is really useful for SSH'ing into the iPhone. So thank you.

To answer your question, as long as everything else is working properly, you're probably ok. If you want to make sure, there should be an IP Address reservation list somewhere in your router settings. Just set it to the same IP as the static address assigned in the iPhone. Works here. Thanks again!
I'm glad I helped, not sure that I did but I'm glad it was of some help to you. I just powered down my PC or I would try to look for IP reservation thing. I'll post an update to this thread. Thanks for your help and interest!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Aw yeah... this is great. After unlocking, my wifi reconnects in about 1.5 seconds now! Shaweeeet!

L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Aw yeah... this is great. After unlocking, my wifi reconnects in about 1.5 seconds now! Shaweeeet!
I know! Before there was no rhyme or reason as to when my wifi at home would "kick in". I'd often go into settings to try to push it along, now it switches from Edge to wifi in a flash! Schweet indeed!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
OK, I'm not one to dramatize small improvements, but I feel I'm pretty sensitive to speeds when it comes to computer tasks I do everyday. I surf basically the same sites every day, all the time, on the same wifi here at home. I know how long it takes to load these pages on my iPhone. I truly notice a rmarked improvement in the load times of these pages since I went to a static IP address.

For example, my main local news page, kyw1060.com... tons of bloated graphics and usually takes forever to load. Well, it's still no speed demon, but it loads smoothly and much faster now with a static IP.

And it seems to be rendering things more quickly too. For example, Reddit.com... I always turn the phone to landscape while that site loads because of how it's formatted, and before the rotation to landscape was always choppy. Now it's smooth and the site loads right up.

Take it for what it's worth, but my browsing now feels faster than I can ever recall it feeling.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I just changed mine to static but I haven't done enought to see a difference. What exactly is the difference between static and DHCP?

L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
I just changed mine to static but I haven't done enought to see a difference. What exactly is the difference between static and DHCP?
Best that I can figure is that it keeps the IP addresses the same (or static). I'm sure there are other issues with it, like if you have other wifi devices that aren't set for static IP they may glom or use the static IP you have set into the iPhone and then you won't be able to have them both online at the same time.

Psylichon mentioned a way to "reserve" IP addresses in his router, I'm going to check that feature out on mine as setting my home wifi connection as static in my iPhone seems to have resolved this extreme lag in connecting via wifi every time I wake up the phone.

Give it a try, you can always just go back to DHCP or however your iPhone is set up now (just write down your settings, just in case). Good luck!