Why doesn't everyone use a free texting app?

Dec 17, 2008
PA
I shut off texting until my kid wanted it.(I texted so infrequenty I paid per text) We use the Text+ app. Seems to work as well as native app..

So why do folks keep paying for text plans? Must be something I'm missing...is the ability to use your own #?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I still have it cause I am on a shared plan and the other person uses a very old non smart phone. And we text a lot.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Believe it or not some people I know and text don't use a phone that has a free texting app option.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I've used Textnow for over a year now. Most people I text to have unlimited, I don't, and I'm not willing to pay for it. I have 200, that's about it, $5 a month and I only use it if I'm having problems sending a pic with Textnow, plus I use beejive, for me these 2 are essential and they save me $15 a month. That's 180 per year.

katelynneemma

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 15, 2011
N.Y.
I have 4 lines in my plan. 2 of those are non smart phones and it's cheaper to do unlimited texting for everyone.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I use Textie with my husband and a close girlfriend, whom I text the most. I have tried TextNow and others but I'm frankly concerned that some of my friends and family would be confused if they got a text from me from a number different than the one than I've had for the last 10 years (not all of them have smartphones). So, I stick with regular texting.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Text apps requires Internet. I don't have all the Internet in the world, so to use every possible way to get more data out of my plan is get texting. Plus it's a lot more secured and there's never any downtime from the carrier, unless there's something MAJOR.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I use stock texting because of the convenience. I also get unlimited mobile to any carrier mobile since I have an unlimited texting plan. The texts come from my phone number and people can just text my phone number rather than an alternate number that I give them.

But most of the reasons I prefer it are the benefits I get with the iRealSMS or BiteSMS overlay on stock texting. Here are a few of the features included:
1. Send and reply to messages from within apps and from the lockscreen
2. Templates
3. Added privacy settings
4. Blacklists
5. Text to voice for incoming SMS
6. Send timed messaged
7. Inbox and Sent folders for quick searching

Aug 31, 2010
I use stock texting because of the convenience. I also get unlimited mobile to any carrier mobile since I have an unlimited texting plan. The texts come from my phone number and people can just text my phone number rather than an alternate number that I give them.

But most of the reasons I prefer it are the benefits I get with the iRealSMS or BiteSMS overlay on stock texting. Here are a few of the features included:
1. Send and reply to messages from within apps and from the lockscreen
2. Templates
3. Added privacy settings
4. Blacklists
5. Text to voice for incoming SMS
6. Send timed messaged
7. Inbox and Sent folders for quick searching

Ditto on the first part. The second part I don't understand, haha.

Aug 31, 2010
I have an American friend with an Android and obviously, I'm Canadian with an iPhone. Can someone recommend a good free texting app for this situation?

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Why don't you guys use an Instant messaging app, there's tons out there, this way you don't have to set up a new username or anything, you can use your google account or which ever you have. That's what me and my girlfriend use.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
Why don't you guys use an Instant messaging app, there's tons out there, this way you don't have to set up a new username or anything, you can use your google account or which ever you have. That's what me and my girlfriend use.
I agree. I think IM+ is on both platforms. I'm sure there are others.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Me and my friends that all used to use bbm went old school when we all switched to new phones and we use yahoo messenger. we all had yahoo log in's. I said old school lol

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
On Android isn't google IM standard? My girlfriend never downloaded anything.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I've used Textnow for over a year now. Most people I text to have unlimited, I don't, and I'm not willing to pay for it. I have 200, that's about it, $5 a month and I only use it if I'm having problems sending a pic with Textnow, plus I use beejive, for me these 2 are essential and they save me $15 a month. That's 180 per year.
I do the Exact same thing except the text program I use is Beejive. I got it cheap along time ago and it works flawlessly.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I do the Exact same thing except the text program I use is Beejive. I got it cheap along time ago and it works flawlessly.
I just don't see a reason why we should pay more money if you have unlimited data. I got my TiVo subscription and cut down my unlimited texting plan. Budgetting (y)