Why Doesn't Google Documents work on the iPhone?

propynyl

Bronze
Aug 12, 2007
I'm not a computer programmar, so I don't quite understand why Google documents doesn't fully work on the iPhone? What would have to change in Safari for users to be able to not only view, but UPDATE documents on google docs?

Just curious...is it Java?

-propynyl

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I'm not a computer programmar, so I don't quite understand why Google documents doesn't fully work on the iPhone? What would have to change in Safari for users to be able to not only view, but UPDATE documents on google docs?

-propynyl

I have noticed this too...for me the ability to view documents is more important than editing but I do agree that it is not fully-functional. I have a feeling that the Google Doc code and iPhone multitouch screen do not communicate properly...for example, when I try to do a regular double tap zoom, googledocs thinks i am trying to click an area I want to edit which causes safari to start loading something....

Google Docs and iPhone could be one of the most successful web apps if they fix these problems.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Officially, even Safari for PCs doesn't support Google Docs. I'm not sure why, but it is disappointing. As was suggested, on the iPhone it probably doesn't know how to differentiate between behaviors - double click would normally allow you to edit a cell, but on the iPhone, it zooms.

But I agree that getting Google Docs to work on the iPhone would be a tremendous benefit.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Officially, even Safari for PCs doesn't support Google Docs. I'm not sure why, but it is disappointing. As was suggested, on the iPhone it probably doesn't know how to differentiate between behaviors - double click would normally allow you to edit a cell, but on the iPhone, it zooms.

But I agree that getting Google Docs to work on the iPhone would be a tremendous benefit.

When did Apple say Safari doesn't support Docs? It works fine on my computer....

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
When did Apple say Safari doesn't support Docs? It works fine on my computer....
Like I said in my post - "Safari for PCs." You know, PCs...as in PCs.

Any time I open a file through Google Docs on my PC using Safari, I get the following message:

"Oops, sorry Safari is not yet supported. Do you want to continue?"

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but working and officially supported by the software provider aren't always one and the same.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007

-propynyl
Docs work fine on my iPhone. At least, they will display. They can't be changed.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Like I said in my post - "Safari for PCs." You know, PCs...as in PCs.

Any time I open a file through Google Docs on my PC using Safari, I get the following message:

"Oops, sorry Safari is not yet supported. Do you want to continue?"

I'm not saying it doesn't work, but working and officially supported by the software provider aren't always one and the same.

Works fine on the PC i am on right now.....

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
more importantly....

why can't Google docs be installed on the iPhone as a native application?

that alone would skyrocket the iPhone into smartphone superstardom.

i can definitely see either Google docs, or some iPhone version of iWork in the future.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Therefore it doesn't work!

-propynyl
Yes, it works for reading. I can read my 95-page will on my iPhone (one of favorite activities at bedtime).

It doesn't work for writing and editing, like just about anything on Safari on the iPhone, or my Mac's Safari for that matter.

But be patient: IT'S COMING!

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
more importantly....

i can definitely see either Google docs, or some iPhone version of iWork in the future.

I know this is probably true for most iPhone owners, but I would take a Google Docs app over Youtube....

motuser

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Google may not want it to completely work just yet on iPhones since Google is working on its own phone right now. Google Documents would be a great selling point for a Google phone. Imagine if Google fixed/added many of the things we mention on all of these boards too...

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
I know this is probably true for most iPhone owners, but I would take a Google Docs app over Youtube....
ever since the 1st update, the youtube app has been performing great. i can find just about any clip i put my mind to. it's definitely becoming one of my more often used apps.

if the question was posed to replace youtube with docs, i wouldn't take it. however, in terms of the very next app to add to the iPhone (and i firmly believe that Apple will add apps/buttons) i would take a document/spreadsheet app.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
ever since the 1st update, the youtube app has been performing great. i can find just about any clip i put my mind to. it's definitely becoming one of my more often used apps.

if the question was posed to replace youtube with docs, i wouldn't take it. however, in terms of the very next app to add to the iPhone (and i firmly believe that Apple will add apps/buttons) i would take a document/spreadsheet app.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but for me, when I search for videos I want that I know are available from traditional Youtube, 1 out of 20 times I will find the video on the iPhone Youtube app. Not very impressive.....

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
more importantly....

I second this! hopefully we will be able to edit docs soon...

iCheez

Sep 4, 2007
I'm guessing we'll see iWork on the iPhone before anything else. And then you would that much closer to an actual "smartphone". How cool would it be to walk into a meeting, hook your iPhone to a projector and do a presentation.