Why doesn't WiFi automatically shut off when u are out of range?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Jan 11, 2012.

1. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

It would make much more sense than having to constantly turn it on and off manually, as it drains the battery significantly pinging for a wifi signal. Is there a way to do this?

2. psylichon

psylichon Genius

If it turned itself off automatically when out of range, you'd have to turn it back on before it discovered any more networks to connect to. Wifi doesn't really drain the battery that much. Just leave it on.

3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Use the toggles at this web site to turn it in and off.
    http://brdrck.me/settings/

Like it was mentioned, it wouldn't turn back on automatically when you got back in range.

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I get the same battery usage with wifi both on and off, unless ofcourse I'm using wifi, then I get an extra hour of usage but that's a whole different story.
    It's only annoying when you constantly get a wifi pop up everytime it discovers it near you.
    So I lunch the wifi toggle and turn it off.

Attached Files:

5. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Just go into your WiFi Settings and turn Off Ask to Join Networks. It will still recognize networks that you have used in the past.

6. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

How do you get an extra hour of usage when using wifi? Wouldn't you get an hour less?

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

why would it? On wifi the connection never needs to refresh, everything loads faster, why would it use one hour less? this is the first time I've heard that. Maybe on 4G is the same, not on 3G.

8. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

So if it has to refresh when it's on wouldn't that use more battery?

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I'm sorry I didn't get that ( feeling Siri like )

10. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

yes that is why I have turned off Ask to Join Networks.

But what is extremely annoying to me is when the iPhone auto-connects to a previously connected hotspot that uses a captive portal. So there I am happily using 3G and doing something that requires data when--wham--can't access whatever I was doing because the WiFi has no net access till I agree/login/whatever. In those situations the captive portal popup often does not happen on its on: I must open Safari and try to browse there to see it.

It does that to me when I am just walking by a Starbucks and really don't want to use its wifi for the 20 seconds I am in ranger. If I don't notice the WiFi indicator I am left thinking data is just not working.

I have always felt the iPhone should not blindly connect to WiFi unless there is a valid Internet connection. Heck this happens when traveling too. I land and need to let people know ASAP (not always by SMS--iMessage, Yahoo, Skype, whatever). I fire off a quick message only to find out it didn't send because the iPhone switch to the airport's wifi and I need to login or agree.

To me the iPhone should never switch me over from a working Internet connection to one that isn't. Conversely there needs to be a better method to authenticate public hotspots other than captive portals. The one in Oakland's airport is about the worst I have ever seen: forced to watch an ad before connecting, speed is often worse than 3G and almost never faster, and it adds its own page banner to all web pages with advertising.

I guess I should have made my own thread for this rant. Sorry. :)

Michael

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

No, I see what you're saying, I have the same problem when I leave my house sometimes if my phone disconnects from wifi and the radio stops working, now I have to close the app and open it again because otherwise it won't let me reconnect to the station I was listening to.
    So I have to turn off wifi before I leave the house and open the radio app. I agree that it needs to be a better way for the phone to recognize the strongest connection ( or the app )

12. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

How do you get an icon for wi-fi? I'd prefer not having to go into settings to turn on/off.

13. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Click on the link that roofmonkey posted.

14. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Holy crap, that's cool! Done in a few seconds. Never knew anything like that existed. No doubt, this is the coolest. forum. EVER. Many thanks- yet again!

15. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

How are you getting more battery use using wifi?

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It's really cool in that it doesn't require a jailbreak at all.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

17. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

didn't we just talk about this?

Ok, look at it this way, download an app on 3G that's about 20mb, then do it when connected to wifi. You see how much faster it is?

But it's probably just me, or a myth.
    Probably a myth.

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Go to the Apple website and check out the iPhone's specs. You can surf longer on WiFi than on 3G.

If you know you're going to be away from a reliable WiFi connection, you turn off WiFi manually because the iPhone will conserve battery if it doesn't have to "listen for"/"hunt for"/"look for" a WiFi signal. And you have no choice but to turn it back on manually as the other members stated. It has no way of knowing you're in a WiFi area if you've told it not to look for a WiFi signal.

Maybe a future Siri upgrade will allow you to tell her "Turn WiFi on when I get back home." :)

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

19. Michmeister

Michmeister Member
    Bronze

It does shutoff automatically!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

20. Michmeister

Michmeister Member
    Bronze

I get much more battery life using wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app