Why Don't we Have Wi Fi Store Yet?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SaddleSC

Jul 5, 2007
I was just at the Apple Store and they had about six iPod Touch units on display and the Wi Fi Music Store was fully functional. Since the store is live and ready to rock, is there any good reason why we haven't gotten a software update to add the application to our iPhones? I am excited to have something new to play with on the home screen!

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I was just at the Apple Store and they had about six iPod Touch units on display and the Wi Fi Music Store was fully functional. Since the store is live and ready to rock, is there any good reason why we haven't gotten a software update to add the application to our iPhones? I am excited to have something new to play with on the home screen!
I'm in for an answer on this one. I would love to have that as well. I'm heading to Vegas next week and having that too play with while waiting in the airport would be nice.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It is believed to be tomorrow. However, I think the reason we do not have the store yet is because it will come in an update that will include a few other things that Apple is finishing up on.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
You know, Im sure someone's already posted on this but do you think Apple will eventually make it to where you can update your iPhone through the wifi iTunes "on" your phone?

That would be awesome, no?

:laugh2:

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
The Apple site state "Later this Month" so that does not sound like Monday. Also on Tuesday Apple has the big press event in Europe about the iPhone so I am sure they will tie everything to that as well.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
You know, Im sure someone's already posted on this but do you think Apple will eventually make it to where you can update your iPhone through the wifi iTunes "on" your phone?

That would be awesome, no?

:laugh2:
Absolutely not. If the update fails you would have an iPhone that needs to be recovered. Even when doing a BIOS update on a laptop you need to have the power plugged in so nothing gets botched up.

I am anxious to get the new updates. I could care less about the Wi-Fi music store.

We know double tap space bar creates a period is coming....what else? Anything else 99% confirmed?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Absolutely not. If the update fails you would have an iPhone that needs to be recovered. Even when doing a BIOS update on a laptop you need to have the power plugged in so nothing gets botched up.
Well that all depends on what is being updated. Most everything you work with on the iPhone is just another .app application. I update those--on the iphone--every day over WiFi without issue.

That said I seriously doubt Apple will ever offer (major) OTA updates (though the Send to .Mac feature for photos was seemingly activated in the field).

Personally, I wish they would update the apps individually. Take the Mail app. It's getting on my nerves big-time. It auto-connects when I am reading or deleting mail and it drives me nuts. I'd much rather a "Send and Receive" button. Till I press it, don't constantly hit my mail servers, slowing the Mail app to a damn crawl!

--
Mike
(Yes, I do feel better now after that whine.)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
tinman you know you can set email checking to manual right? Is that what you're looking for?
All that does is change whether the mail app auto-checks email every hour, 15 minutes, etc.

It has zero effect on stopping the incessant email checking while the mail app is open. This causes slowdowns and downright pauses while it is doing it. There should be a setting to "do nothing" when the email app is open (till I tell it to check email).

--
Mike

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Well that all depends on what is being updated. Most everything you work with on the iPhone is just another .app application. I update those--on the iphone--every day over WiFi without issue.

That said I seriously doubt Apple will ever offer (major) OTA updates (though the Send to .Mac feature for photos was seemingly activated in the field).

Personally, I wish they would update the apps individually. Take the Mail app. It's getting on my nerves big-time. It auto-connects when I am reading or deleting mail and it drives me nuts. I'd much rather a "Send and Receive" button. Till I press it, don't constantly hit my mail servers, slowing the Mail app to a damn crawl!

--
Mike
(Yes, I do feel better now after that whine.)
Why not use what is already on your phone to fix your problem? Go to settings, then mail, then auto check, then set it to manual. Like magic, no more auto retrieval of your mail. You are stressing yourself for no reason..M

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Why not use what is already on your phone to fix your problem? Go to settings, then mail, then auto check, then set it to manual. Like magic, no more auto retrieval of your mail. You are stressing yourself for no reason..M
I am not retarded! ;)

Seriously, I thought I was pretty clear with the "It auto-connects when I am reading or deleting mail" part but I guess that wasn't enough (since two people so far assumed it was an auto-check setting issue).

Perhaps if you are a light email user the stutters and pauses are not noticeable, or do not appear. I have 5 accounts on my iPhone, all with a lot of activity, and Mail stutters or comes to a complete halt many times while it is retrieving email (which I didn't ask it to do). This makes it difficult to delete a large number of email messages (deleting mail might be what triggers the auto-check). And it's not like deleting a lot of messages is easy as it is, with no way to delete more than one at a time.

We now return to our regularly scheduled topic, already in progress...

--
Mike

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
How would you get notified of a new email without having auto-check enabled? If you do have it enabled you can get an audible alert.

If you don't have it enabled... it won't check anyway.

?

I use vibrate for new text messages, better than a light since I can feel it when it happens. I don't have to look at the phone to see.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I am not retarded! ;)

Seriously, I thought I was pretty clear with the "It auto-connects when I am reading or deleting mail" part but I guess that wasn't enough (since two people so far assumed it was an auto-check setting issue).

--
Mike
That is very irritating. If I want to go into email to get info from a previously download email it connect anyway. There should be a way to turn that off and make all email server connections optionally manual.

P.S. Can you get phone calls while downloading email?