Why every app every time?

JLP75766

Jul 10, 2007
Why am I having to sync every app I check the box on every time on my 3G when most of the time none of them have changed and I am only adding apps (I am an app junkie). If I don't check an app to be synced, I loose it! It takes FOREVER to back up now. Why can't there be some way to just sync the apps that have changed and add the new ones I have purchased. Am I missing something here or are there other people experiencing the same thing?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You're certainly not alone. The length of backups annoy quite a few people. Some people have reported several hour backups while others have backup speeds of just a few minutes. It's one of the fixes people are hoping for from Apple and we have yet to see any significant improvement.

JLP75766

Jul 10, 2007
I am glad I am not alone. I am sure the the man hours lost by iPhone users waiting on backups is in the millions worldwide.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
My backups never take longer than 5 minutes, and never have. However, several members on here have talked about leaving the phone connected for several hours, sometimes overnight, just for a backup. A bit ridiculous to say the least.

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I feel bad for you guys. I have never had a backup take longer than 3 minutes..........I wonder what makes some backups take so long?

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
one of my friend told me to turn off the auto-sync, but sync manually.
he told me it seems gotten much shorter time to back-up.

I just realized it took quite a while for me to back-up, so I just changed to manually sync....
I'll see if this really would help shorten up the time of back-up.

pmistry

Aug 27, 2008
I've tried the Auto-Back-up as well as the Manual and have noticed very slight improvement in syncing but not enough to celebrate! lol...

It takes me almost 37 minutes to have my unit backed-up and I have roughly 28 additional apps loaded on my iPhone 3G 16GB model.

But one additional problem I've noticed is that when I sync my iPhone bewtween my home and Office PC's, I have to reload my apps since they get wiped off. The unfortunate part is that my work PC has security restrictions on it so I cannot sync the apps to my phone and one app in particular is no longer available on the app store. Does anyone know how to load this app; the *.ipa file onto my home PC to upload it?

Thanks and Cheers...

one of my friend told me to turn off the auto-sync, but sync manually.
he told me it seems gotten much shorter time to back-up.

I just realized it took quite a while for me to back-up, so I just changed to manually sync....
I'll see if this really would help shorten up the time of back-up.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
mine is on auto sync and never takes more than 3 minutes. I did hear that if you chose to send diagnostic data to Apple that makes your back-ups take forever. I checked no to that option the first time I hooked my phone to iTunes. oh and I have around 20 apps or so, try unchecking the send diagnostic info option...

pmistry

Aug 27, 2008
Thanks! Now that you mention it, I was asked on a recent sync if I wanted to send diagnostic data and I had clicked yes to it. I'll try deselecting that option and will see if I notice any change in the back-up time.

Thanks again and cheers.

Any idea about loosing the apps every time I sync on a different PC (ie. Home and Office)? Thanks...

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
i'm at work, so can't look into iTune.
Can you give me an idea where i can find the check box for send diagnostic data within iTune?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
i'm at work, so can't look into iTune.
Can you give me an idea where i can find the check box for send diagnostic data within iTune?
When you connect your phone to iTunes, wait until the name of your phone appears under devices on the left hand side.
Right click your phone and choose "Reset All Warnings".
Eject your iPhone.
Next time you connect again you'll be given the pop-up asking if you want to send diagnostics...
choose No and check the box that says something like "don't ask me again".

Hope that helps your backup times.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
When you connect your phone to iTunes, wait until the name of your phone appears under devices on the left hand side.
Right click your phone and choose "Reset All Warnings".
Eject your iPhone.
Next time you connect again you'll be given the pop-up asking if you want to send diagnostics...
choose No and check the box that says something like "don't ask me again".

Hope that helps your backup times.
Thanks!
I sure will do that when I get home today!