Why go crazy about iPhone 3G ?

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I don't get why people are going crazy about The 3G iPhone, At&t offers 3G but not everywhere, plus it is only going to increase your internet speed by a few kilobites... hello, wifi is way faster than 3g even though not available everywhere (i have it at home), so i just don't understand...

for those of you goo-gagging over 3g...please explaine....:)

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Have you seen the video that's going around? 3G speeds are about double edge speeds. Also, people just always want to have the latest piece of technology (Me). lol

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Have you seen the video that's going around? 3G speeds are about double edge speeds. Also, people just always want to have the latest piece of technology (Me). lol
Ok, but now your going to have half the battery life....you know 3G.

..and double edge speed....still not enough.......well, for me .

May 7, 2008
Ok, but now your going to have half the battery life....you know 3G.

..and double edge speed....still not enough.......well, for me .
More speed is always enough. If speed didn't matter then why do you use WiFi at home? Ahh...because it's faster. ;) I have the 3G card in my laptop and it is much nicer to use. Browsing is almost "normal" for most sites so I'm all for the 3G bandwagon. For those who don't have 3G coverage it's no biggie but they would still be fools for not adding it. I think it should have been in v1.0 myself.

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
More speed is always enough. If speed didn't matter then why do you use WiFi at home? Ahh...because it's faster. ;) I have the 3G card in my laptop and it is much nicer to use. Browsing is almost "normal" for most sites so I'm all for the 3G bandwagon. For those who don't have 3G coverage it's no biggie but they would still be fools for not adding it. I think it should have been in v1.0 myself.

good point Johnny....the only benefit i see on the 3G iPhone would be the gps Navigation on google maps ..but i already have one...

or maybe they have other features that they are not saying....which i hope they include in the first gen iPhone...

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I don't get why people are going crazy about The 3G iPhone, At&t offers 3G but not everywhere, plus it is only going to increase your internet speed by a few kilobites... hello, wifi is way faster than 3g even though not available everywhere (i have it at home), so i just don't understand...

for those of you goo-gagging over 3g...please explaine....:)
Its a little bit more then just a few kilobites

Edge averages between 70-135 kbps with a burst of 200 kbps but its pretty rare to get those burst speeds

3G runs an average 600 kbps up to 1.4 mbps thats a big difference on downloads, and uploads of 500-800 kbps.

What you also forget is the pipe is much bigger, european 3g is much faster then it is here once it gets rolled out more it will get even better.

I don't really care about downloading webpages faster, I care more about the other things it will bring, like being able to surf and send emails while I am on the phone (something you cant do on edge not enough bandwidth). It also opens the door for video conferencing and a host of other applications that are internet based that edge is just to slow for.

Yes wifi is better, but how often are you connected to wifi when you are in your car?

MiataLord

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Orange County, CA
im in no hurry for the new iPhone, i don't need 3g, edge in SoCal is pretty fast plus i have wifi here at home, gps is not a big deal considering there will be a charge for it, not worth it in my book :)

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007

Edge averages between 70-135 kbps with a burst of 200 kbps but its pretty rare to get those burst speeds

3G runs an average 600 kbps up to 1.4 mbps thats a big difference on downloads, and uploads of 500-800 kbps.

What you also forget is the pipe is much bigger, european 3g is much faster then it is here once it gets rolled out more it will get even better.

I don't really care about downloading webpages faster, I care more about the other things it will bring, like being able to surf and send emails while I am on the phone (something you cant do on edge not enough bandwidth). It also opens the door for video conferencing and a host of other applications that are internet based that edge is just to slow for.

Yes wifi is better, but how often are you connected to wifi when you are in your car?

very true...i see....i'll wait and see how the new 3G iPhone performs before i ever decide to buy one (probably wont)...in the mean time ...my first gen iPhone does the job for me...:)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

Well put, and I'd agree with most of this. I do care about faster browsing speeds as well though ...

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle

for those of you goo-gagging over 3g...please explaine....
Well.. 3g alone not gonna seal the deal for no one at the end of the day..
And it is the most avaiting and expected features that people are waiting for in this so called 3g iphone-v2 like:
-Let me first start with universal problem with EDGE other than its freaking slow speed.. say you are browsing or on youtube (should be accessing data through EDDE not wifi) and if someone calls you at that moment, you do not even get any missed call notification later on forget about the call itself.(quite frustrating as you do not know who called you and may bring some misunderstandings between you and your GF:eek: if she called you up when you were accessing data via EDGE hoping that you would have got the miss call anyway .. so no notification unless the calling party leave you a voicemail):( and this problem is not there with 3G network.. its all together different technology.
-High MP camera

-New sleek design(though i don't have any problem with the current version size and design.. but still :p its been a year and variety is the spice of life. how long you take to change your GFs:p.. nothing personal just asking you guys in general)
-GPS
-MMS(i don't give a crap about this feature though.. Bored with it.. used to use this 6 years ago in india:cool: but quite a nice feature if you guys haven't used it before or just started using it)
-bunch of new other features that stevo would reveal by himself with that freaking water bottle in his hands and a clicker..
~ for other features check my signature:p

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
-Let me first start with universal problem with EDGE other than its freaking slow speed.. say you are browsing or on youtube (should be accessing data through EDDE not wifi) and if someone calls you at that moment, you do not even get any missed call notification later on forget about the call itself.(quite frustrating as you do not know who called you and may bring some misunderstandings between you and your GF:eek: if she called you up when you were accessing data via EDGE hoping that you would have got the miss call anyway .. so no notification unless the calling party leave you a voicemail):( and this problem is not there with 3G network.. its all together different technology.
So true so true! I hate that!

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
3G + Slingplayer sounds delicious.

iPhone-v2

Bronze
May 7, 2008
seattle
You think they will charge for gps and 3G?
well for 3g ... its already $30 pm(correct me if I am wrong) which is 10 bucks more than what we are paying for freaking EDGE....

and as far as GPS goes... its again depend on att whether to charge or not.. and i have a bad feeling that they will:(..

yakob89

Bronze
Apr 16, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
well for 3g ... its already $30 pm(correct me if I am wrong) which is 10 bucks more than what we are paying for freaking EDGE....

and as far as GPS goes... its again depend on att whether to charge or not.. and i have a bad feeling that they will:(..

huh? thanks for clearin that up for me...well idk if its gonna just be 3G like ya said its not worth it at all hopefully ol Stevo will pull something amazing out of his bag of tricks. :p

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
Ladies and gentlemen have we not learned anything from the first experience; Patience is a virtue. Don't get happy and run to the stores on iDay.2 remember what happened the first time.

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Ladies and gentlemen have we not learned anything from the first experience; Patience is a virtue. Don't get happy and run to the stores on iDay.2 remember what happened the first time.

no..no..no... see, you guy's are getting it all wrong...:p

it's not going to be an iPhone v2,.... it's only going to be a first gen iPhone with 3g capabilities...that is all...it is too soon for a 2nd gen iPhone, maybe next year..:)

so why go crazy about it....:p