Why has Apple not adopted LED notifications on iPhone?

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
As we know, the likes of BlackBerry and Samsung have LED notifications.

I'm curious why Apple haven't never adopted this feature. I know you all here don't have an exact answer. But, any ideas why Apple have never adopted this, or will they in the future, do you think?

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Someone just pointed out that since the release of the Apple Watch, there isn't much point to an LED notification.

Point taken...

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
You're preaching to the choir here. I'm certainly not interested in it (unless I won it, or something).
But, in a conversation with a few people, I was told, "Forget the LED, there is an Apple Watch for that..."

I'm speechless...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think I would walk away from that conversation. I'm even less interested in talking to people with that attitude than I am in the watch.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
with the ubiquitous nature of notifications these days, I'm not really sure how useful it would be. I am always getting notifications of one sort or another, so every time I look at my phone it would have an active LED. Kind of defeats the purpose at that point.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
they used to have a sleep LED on their MacBooks, but have phased that out as well. who knows what their actual reasoning is, but my guess would be a combination of two things.

1) the fixture and light take up too much internal space, and apple likes to keep their products as slim as possible.

2) a flashing LED doesn't fit in with their minimalistic industrial design language.

Also, there *is* the option to turn on the flash LED for notifications in Accessibility settings. Granted it's on the rear of the phone, but it's something at least.
Yeah, it seems like a waste being on the back since most people set the phone down face up. I would think there would be room for an LED near the front camera.

Is the LED notification (flash on the back of the phone) working for you on 8.4? I tried it on both of my phones last night and couldn't get it to work. I tested it a couple years ago when they introduced it and it worked fine, but it doesn't work for me now.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
acosmichippo, you raised brilliant points in 'both' your posts. And, I will admit, I actually have notifications off, for all social media stuff. I only really keep email notifications on, and specific notifications from the missus.

To add to my desire of an LED, it was\is more about having a specific colour LED notification, for when I receive messages from her. To be honest, all other notifications can simply wait :)