Why I'm getting the iPhone 3G

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm very new to these forums and the only Apple product I've owned is my second-generation 4GB iPod Nano.

My current mobile phone is a Sony Ericsson Z520a and my AT&T contract was up a couple of months ago. So, I want to upgrade to the iPhone 3G.

Now, I realize that the 3G is not for everyone. But, here's a list of why it IS right for me:

1) 3G Internet Speeds: While many iPhone users I know feel that EDGE speeds are good enough for them, my main function for the iPhone will be web browsing. I'll use that even more than voice calling. And getting close to Wi-Fi speed is always nice. I also live on the island of Oahu and 3G coverage is nearly the entire island.

2) iTunes Music: My whole digital music library is already on iTunes since I have an iPod and I have heard that the iTunes file is not compatible with most other mobile music players. It is certainly convenient to have my iPod everywhere I go, especially since my car is equipped with an iPod connector.

3) Apple App Store: I certainly didn't want to jailbreak a brand-new iPhone but people loved the new applications they could load onto it. I believe the Apple App Store is the answer to jailbreaking. When the App Store goes live, it hopefully will be a great place to get great new applications that will give us customizable iPhones. So, I believe is a great time to get into the iPhone game.

4) Price: When the v1 iPhone came out almost a year ago, I thought it was overpriced. I think this type of phone in the $200-300 range is more acceptable. And from the recent articles, these prices are now much closer to the production cost of the iPhone. So, unless AT&T/Apple want to take losses on the hardware, we probably won't be seeing price reductions anytime soon. But, maybe in the next 6 months or so we could see a 32GB version. I'm not sure how much solid-state flash memory we can get in there without resorting to mini hard-drives which have moving parts like the larger iPods.

5) Don't Need A Great Camera; Picture or Text Messaging; Stereo Bluetooth: A lot of the features that people were hoping the iPhone 3G would have, I simply do not need. A 2.0MP camera on the phone is good enough. I don't do picture or text messaging. And, while having stereo bluetooth headphones is nice, it's not a dealbreaker for me. I don't need GPS either since I got one in my car, but I think photo geotagging will be fun.

So, for those planning on getting a new iPhone... why are YOU getting one?

Webby

Jun 5, 2008
I'm getting it because 3G, App Store, Ipod + Phone, Jailbreak (when it's available)

Deltido

Bronze
Jun 27, 2008
I'm getting one because I've always thought that the idea of Internet Anywhere would be the coolest thing ever(and i think the iPhone's way of doing it is the most fun) :-b i just love reading articles online and such, now i get a video player, music player, and youtube streamer too!*orgasm* . That alone I'd spend 200 bucks 70 bucks a month on, but there's even more. Also, at the moment, i'm phoneless..

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
1) 3G Internet Speeds: While many iPhone users I know feel that EDGE speeds are good enough for them, my main function for the iPhone will be web browsing. I'll use that even more than voice calling. And getting close to Wi-Fi speed is always nice. I also live on the island of Oahu and 3G coverage is nearly the entire island.
Don't let them fool you into thinking that 3G is close to wifi speeds. Not even close. You're in for a huge disappointment, I believe.

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
Only reason Im getting one some broke back bastard stole my V1 a few days ago.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Don't let them fool you into thinking that 3G is close to wifi speeds. Not even close. You're in for a huge disappointment, I believe.
Maybe I should have phrased it as "closer." I know it's not Wi-Fi speed. Just as long as its faster than EDGE. I've been able to browse on EDGE on my friend's iPhones. It's good but faster is always better.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
chris716isalegend said:
yes a lot of people complain about edge but it does work pretty good
Everyone I know who has an iPhone is satisfied with EDGE and will not be upgrading. More power to them. But, they're also glad I'm getting into the game too. :cool:

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
Im getting one because i need a phone and giving my old one to my stepson

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm very new to these forums and the only Apple product I've owned is my second-generation 4GB iPod Nano.

My current mobile phone is a Sony Ericsson Z520a and my AT&T contract was up a couple of months ago. So, I want to upgrade to the iPhone 3G.

Now, I realize that the 3G is not for everyone. But, here's a list of why it IS right for me:

2) iTunes Music: My whole digital music library is already on iTunes since I have an iPod and I have heard that the iTunes file is not compatible with most other mobile music players. It is certainly convenient to have my iPod everywhere I go, especially since my car is equipped with an iPod connector.

3) Apple App Store: I certainly didn't want to jailbreak a brand-new iPhone but people loved the new applications they could load onto it. I believe the Apple App Store is the answer to jailbreaking. When the App Store goes live, it hopefully will be a great place to get great new applications that will give us customizable iPhones. So, I believe is a great time to get into the iPhone game.

4) Price: When the v1 iPhone came out almost a year ago, I thought it was overpriced. I think this type of phone in the $200-300 range is more acceptable. And from the recent articles, these prices are now much closer to the production cost of the iPhone. So, unless AT&T/Apple want to take losses on the hardware, we probably won't be seeing price reductions anytime soon. But, maybe in the next 6 months or so we could see a 32GB version. I'm not sure how much solid-state flash memory we can get in there without resorting to mini hard-drives which have moving parts like the larger iPods.

5) Don't Need A Great Camera; Picture or Text Messaging; Stereo Bluetooth: A lot of the features that people were hoping the iPhone 3G would have, I simply do not need. A 2.0MP camera on the phone is good enough. I don't do picture or text messaging. And, while having stereo bluetooth headphones is nice, it's not a dealbreaker for me. I don't need GPS either since I got one in my car, but I think photo geotagging will be fun.

So, for those planning on getting a new iPhone... why are YOU getting one?

Nice post, Like you the only Apple product I ever owned is my iPod Nano 3rd Gen. I have a Sprint multi-media phone, almost 2 years now. Also, I plan to use the new iPhone 3G for more internet/data use. I'm not a heavy phone user. Although, I won't be buying the iPhone until this Fall. My Sprint contract ends in September. I can wait though. The time will help me read reviews of those who purchased the iPhone 3G, more apps by that time, and perhaps some indication of a possible 32 Gig model. I'm definitely sold on this iPhone though.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Nice post, Like you the only Apple product I ever owned is my iPod Nano 3rd Gen. I have a Sprint multi-media phone, almost 2 years now. Also, I plan to use the new iPhone 3G for more internet/data use. I'm not a heavy phone user. Although, I won't be buying the iPhone until this Fall. My Sprint contract ends in September. I can wait though. The time will help me read reviews of those who purchased the iPhone 3G, more apps by that time, and perhaps some indication of a possible 32 Gig model. I'm definitely sold on this iPhone though.
Yeah, if you CAN wait it's always better to wait. You know it won't go UP in price (I hope). I can't. I'm THAT sick of my current phone. :p

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
3G and GPS. Add the better audio and low price and it's a no brainer. :cool:

nic08

Jun 29, 2008
Nice post there jarofclay73, now you reminded me of sticking with my iPhone :)

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Nice post there jarofclay73, now you reminded me of sticking with my iPhone :)
Thanks! I think most v1 users do not need to upgrade. And you'll be getting all the advantages of the 2.0 software and new apps. If you do not NEED 3G or GPS, then v1s should stick with their cheaper plans.

I wonder if there will be Instinct hopovers though. I've "spying" on Instinct forums and a number of people are dissatisfied. The iPhone 3G release is within the 30 days of return for the Instinct, so maybe we'll see some of them jump ship.