Why iPhone version 1 still rocks.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, I in no way wish to diminish the excitement about the new iPhone 3G. I think it's awesome, and cant' wait to see the flood of new folks to the iPhone world and this forum in particular. I personally am not getting one for various reasons I've mentioned elsewhere which are not the point of this thread. And, while this may seem like blatant decision-justification on my part, I wanted to start a thread for others like me that will likely get swept aside in all the discussion over the next couple of months.

So let's start a list of reasons why you're still cool to keep your V1 phone. :cool: Please, let's not make this a V1 vs. V2 thread.... not at all my intention. Let's keep it light-hearted!

------------

Aluminum back is still very sexy

Having V1 means people know you paid more for it. That makes you cooler. ;)

You can still run all the latest software, minus GPS stuff.

2.8x faster internet is really not that much faster. (Don't flame me! Let's wait and see...)

It'll be nice to have another $120/yr in your pocket due to data plan savings

You won't need to buy a new case

You don't need to buy a new dock

What would you do with those headphone adapters anyway?

Your phone may still hold value due to it's unlocking abilities, but...

The V1 is a piece of history folks. 6 million is a lot of units, but I still think it will be valuable someday... I'm keeping my in pristine shape forever!

.... feel free to add.

By the way, yesterday was really fun... I missed iDay around here the first time, so it was great to share in the festivities the second time around. EIC rocks...

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Aluminum back is still very sexy-- [my aluminum back is scratched and discolored in spots, mostly around the Apple and the camera]

Having V1 means people know you paid more for it. That makes you cooler.--[yes, cooler, maybe dumber?]

You can still run all the latest software, minus GPS stuff.--[minus the GPS stuff]

2.8x faster internet is really not that much faster.--[almost 3 times faster is a pretty big leap!]

It'll be nice to have another $120/yr in your pocket due to data plan savings--[true, but I'd spend it on something stupid anyway]

You won't need to buy a new case--[new iPhone is same length/width, so some cases will still work]

You don't need to buy a new dock--[doesn't the iPhone come with a dock? I think it does.]

What would you do with those headphone adapters anyway?--[add them to the list of accessories that go with the old iPhone when you sell it]

Your phone may still hold value due to it's unlocking abilities, but...--[which means you may be able to sell it for enough to cover the entire cost of the new one!]

The V1 is a piece of history folks. 6 million is a lot of units, but I still think it will be valuable someday... I'm keeping my in pristine shape forever!--[history is just repeating itself like it always does...]

All good points, tho, psylichon, and my reply is with all due respect.:laugh2:

Jun 26, 2007
Because it sits flush on my desk, due to its flat back.
Because the buttons are plastic not metal.
Because the aluminum back doesn't leave finger prints and hasn't scratched yet for me.
Because its sexy.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
All good points, tho, psylichon, and my reply is with all due respect.:laugh2:
And with that same respect in return, I kindly ask you to note the intention of my thread. All your points are very valid, but are completely against the point of all this. ;)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
You don't need to buy a new dock--[doesn't the iPhone come with a dock? I think it does.]
The new phone does not come with a dock.
So my add to the thread is by keeping my phone I don't have to buy a new dock because the V1 dock will not work with V2 phone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't think I'll ever get rid of my v1 (well, unless it dies). I really loved the phone from the first time I saw it at the Keynote last January. My v1 will act as my reserve for days when I don't want to bring the new 3G iPhone with me somewhere.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Version 1 rocks because it still is the pinnacle of smartphone technology and that won't change for at least a month.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Plastic back is cheap...ok so the guy next to me knows I was screwed on the price...I want him to know! I EARN MORE MONEY THAN YOU and I can spend it on anything I like! Anyway I wont be able to hear what he's saying because of the rocking noise his curved backed V2 iPhone is making as he sets it down next to mine.

Seriously, V1 feels like a solid piece of kit. Christ they never even put a plastic back on an iPod.:) Did I mention I don't like the plastic back:p

Panache010

Silver
Aug 19, 2007
The Majority of Mercedes owners purchased the platinum aluminum color. Im so sick of seeing Black & White color FORDS on the road. Need I say more?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
ok, well IMHO....

Aluminum back is still very sexy -not for me it isn't, id always thought it was ugly and would buy a new one just cause its black

Having V1 means people know you paid more for it. That makes you cooler. ;) -i really don't see how paying more for something makes you "cooler" LOL

You can still run all the latest software, minus GPS stuff. -true, and the v1 can still use the location software instead of GPS... good point

2.8x faster internet is really not that much faster. (Don't flame me! Let's wait and see...) - we shall see... :cool:

It'll be nice to have another $120/yr in your pocket due to data plan savings -what happened to "being cooler by paying more"? LOL :p

You won't need to buy a new case -meh, i don't use cases...

You don't need to buy a new dock - of course not cause ill still have my old one..... ;)

What would you do with those headphone adapters anyway? -never bought any headphone adapters, just specially made headphones

Your phone may still hold value due to it's unlocking abilities, but... -yes, and ill still have my V1 for "testing purposes"

The V1 is a piece of history folks. 6 million is a lot of units, but I still think it will be valuable someday... I'm keeping my in pristine shape forever! -and so shall I :cool:

just my $.02,
and my reply is also with all due respect.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
The new phone does not come with a dock.
So my add to the thread is by keeping my phone I don't have to buy a new dock because the V1 dock will not work with V2 phone.
why wouldn't it not come with a dock? All new iPhones come with a dock. Are you sure?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
[sigh] I appreciate all the input, but this thread is for folks who have decided to stay with V1, not trying to convince anyone of anything. No more V1 vs V2 please!

jimwarden

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I still love my v1 iPhone because:

It was my first (smartphone).

I dropped it a dozen times, and put it through hell without a single problem. (Out of respect,gratitude, and admiration I finally have it protected).

I have come to depend on it hourly in my job, to give directions, to receive pages from my employer, to evaluate properties with satellite view, to send e-mails, to shoot "before and after" photos to show customers where their problem was and now isn't.

iPhone has been a very dependable productivity tool that I will be loyal to for the immediate future.

Jim

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
Just to conclude, the new iPhone does not come with a dock, nor will it fit the old one due to its rounded back. On the topic at hand, I will also be keeping my V1.

Dave, you are fighting an uphill battle trying to manage this thread buddy. But, the main reason that the v1 still rocks is that for a large number of folks, it will remain ahead of the majority of devices out there for years. I'm going to push mine down to my brother-in-law who is not into technology but loves my phone. He will use it and be in love with it for longer than we have had ours!

THAT IS WHY V1 ROCKS!

Jun 26, 2007
Because it got me through a whole year of courses in a way that no other phone could...

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
why wouldn't it not come with a dock? All new iPhones come with a dock. Are you sure?
Honda,
If you check out Apple's website, the 3G iPhone does not come with a dock (Look under the heading, "What's in the box") :
http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

You can however, purchase the 3G iPhone dock as an optional accessory for $29.00. Note that the dock shape looks different than the 1st gen iPhone's dock. As others are saying, our old docks will not be compatible.