Why iPopuli

Discussion in 'iPopuli' started by chris, Mar 4, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

When the original domain was selected, it was done so within a very short timespan, under the pressure of having to change from everythingiPhone. That domain made plenty of sense, as it did when the site was started 7 months before Apple even announced the iPhone. The name has certainly served us well and some people really like it a lot.

I meet a lot of people. Whether it’s businesss or personal, if we talk iPhones, I’m telling them about eiC. It never goes smooth. I’l typically get a “What?” It’s not a name that people tend to remember.

It’s a long name. Tougher to type into a search or browser bar. If you triangulate the letters of iPopuli, they are all in one section of your keyboard. The eight letters can be typed using your thumb. Less letters, easier to type.

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Just my opinion, but I think you may be giving too much thought to the "tougher to type" aspect. The vast majority of folks will use a bookmark. For the rest, autocomplete should do the trick. (I know not everyone has autocomplete on ON...)

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Look at it in terms of advertising the site and gaining new members. A shorter more memorable name makes more sense.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

www comehereandlearntohatenapoleon.com

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Dead link ^^^^ ;)

Sent using iCafe app

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The story of my life.

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Being a person of the "Older" persuasion I generally don't accept change well. However, I feel the reasons stated above for making this change are well reasoned and may attract more users to the forum and that's always a good thing.

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It's not as if the admin has been working feverishly the past few months to fix this sort of stuff.:rolleyes:

9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I understand short and easy!

So what make you remember someone's site? If people ask "What?" you got their full attention after that and they remember or even go and check it out. They hear eiC twice and make a mental note.
    While if they just heard it 1 time they just nod, yeah, OK what ever it may be and 2 minutes later forgot you even mentioned a site.
    Anyway just my thought.

10. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

It has grown on me, but even though it is one one side of the keyboard, it is close too the delete key. When typing on my iPhone, my password is in that area too, I tend to hit the delete key, with my big fingers, often and end up retyping the word. Of course, if I use landscape mode (which I hate and is turned off), this would not be a problem. lol

I'll get used to is, as I still haven't changed those passwords of mine and just deal with it. lol

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Who are you kidding, you're going to love iPopuli!(y)

12. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I must admit, I can never remember the current URL. If it wasn't for bookmarks I'd never find it. at least with iPopuli I'll have a chance.

13. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

The big question: Will Siri recognize it?

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Siri isn't available in Latin, for obvious reasons, so I really don't know about that. Does Siri have a keyword to tell her you're about to spell something for her?

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

After you go to the site a couple of times, it should auto-expand to the full URL after simply typing the letter "e":

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1366231570.639266.jpg

AFTERTHOUGHT: This works on desktop browsers too, by the way... :)