Why is Apple against AD2P for iPhone?

Daywalker7

May 12, 2007
Maybe some of you mac users can shed some light on this for me.
The iPhone would be the almost perfect phone was it not for this and a few other short comings.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Maybe some of you mac users can shed some light on this for me.
The iPhone would be the almost perfect phone was it not for this and a few other short comings.
Unfortunately, as revolutionary as the iPhone is, it's got more than a few shortcomings. AD2P is just one in a long laundry list of "standard apps" that the iPhone is missing.
Copy/paste
MMS
Flash
businesss card/file transfer
record video
customization of themes
games
voice recorder
Just to name a few....
Nearly all of these were resolved with jailbreaking and 3rd party apps, but that's not standard software.
Until the 2.0 firmware and the iPhone 2 are released, we can only speculate as to what Apple responded to as far as what we the owners have been screaming for. Things in the compeditors phones have that are taking up the potential buyers who will not compromise what they expect a phone to do.
At this point, I think it's fairly safe to say that Apple is going to start losing ground to other manufacturers who are rapidly learning from Apples mistakes.
Apple makes great products- no question. But Steve Jobs is very short-sighted if he thinks that people will simply accept the limitations that his company tries to impose on their users.
Look at the jailbreak community. They were so successful, Apple's only recourse was to legitimize and capitalize on 3rd party apps. If no one had even made the attempt to hack the iPhone, do you think that an Installer would be part of the upcoming firmware? maybe in another year or two...
The only thing I can tell you is that Apple does what will gain them the most money. Otherwise, active Sync would not be a part of the new 2.0 firmware.
At this point, it's a waiting game with everyone holding their breath and crossing their fingers that Steve will announce that their dreams have come true.
Personally, unless I can hack the 2.0 software, I am not going to be in a huge hurry to update. I mean I don't have an Exchange server to sync with, so unless Google is on board, it doesn't help me in the least.

Daywalker7

May 12, 2007
I have been looking really hard at the LG VU.
If iPhone 2 doesn't have at least AD2p im not buying this time around.
I'm not falling for the "wait and see if they will put it in an update" crap, not this time.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Have you checked out the: Sony Ericsson - XPERIA™ X1? That is one phone I've been wanting to get. But not sure when it will be out and what its' price tag will be.

The new generation of Windows based mobile phones use the new .NET framework and their GUI's (using WPF) have been improved greatly.

Here's a quick YouTube clip of it:

I have been looking really hard at the LG VU.
If iPhone 2 doesn't have at least AD2p im not buying this time around.
I'm not falling for the "wait and see if they will put it in an update" crap, not this time.

Daywalker7

May 12, 2007
Have you checked out the: Sony Ericsson - XPERIA™ X1? That is one phone I've been wanting to get. But not sure when it will be out and what its' price tag will be.

The new generation of Windows based mobile phones use the new .NET framework and their GUI's (using WPF) have been improved greatly.

Here's a quick YouTube clip of it:

I don't like those slider phones. The less moving parts the better for me.

Daywalker7

May 12, 2007
So the Keynote is over and we have found out that this new iPhone will not have AD2P.
There really is nothing new on the phone that you cant get on your existing iPhone beside 3G once the new update comes out.
Question #1 does this confirm once and for all that there will be no AD2P on the iPhone?
#2 will you buy one if you already have an iPhone?

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Check this out: iPhone to get A2DP Stereo Bluetooth?

According to this article, the Bluetooth hardware that the 3G has does indeed support A2DP and could be used with a future SOFTWARE update from Apple.

I can wait. There have been some really cheap stereo bluetooth dongles recently but I'll wait till Apple releases it for free.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Check this out: iPhone to get A2DP Stereo Bluetooth?

According to this article, the Bluetooth hardware that the 3G has does indeed support A2DP and could be used with a future SOFTWARE update from Apple.

I can wait. There have been some really cheap stereo bluetooth dongles recently but I'll wait till Apple releases it for free.
Not to beat a dead horse, but i thought that the Version 1 iPhone had the hardware to support A2DP as well. I remember people complaining about it back this time last year.

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
If it isn't included, it's because it didn't meet the quality standards that Apple has set for its brand. Most people with iPods tend to be picky about their audio, and A2DP is not exactly high quality audio, even if it is wireless. It would need to be bulletproof and equal in fidelity to wired audio for Apple to release it on the iPhone.

There are some third party dongles and adapters available if you REALLY want A2DP.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
If it isn't included, it's because it didn't meet the quality standards that Apple has set for its brand. Most people with iPods tend to be picky about their audio, and A2DP is not exactly high quality audio, even if it is wireless. It would need to be bulletproof and equal in fidelity to wired audio for Apple to release it on the iPhone.

There are some third party dongles and adapters available if you REALLY want A2DP.
So, the A2DP audio is WORSE than a normal plugged in headphone?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
So, the A2DP audio is WORSE than a normal plugged in headphone?
Well, obviously anything wireless is going to carry a slightly worse quality than wired. -Provided that the headphones themselves are of same quality...

evil_ryu

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
Well, obviously anything wireless is going to carry a slightly worse quality than wired. -Provided that the headphones themselves are of same quality...
not really i have the motorola HT820 and a BT adapter on my ipod mini and sounded way better than my technic rp-dj1200 minus that my technic headphones gave me the bass i wanted but the quality on my motorola was sharp. ive also rocked my motorola HT820 on my co-workers nokia n95 and he was in love with the sound threw BT than his wired headphones it came with.... :eek:

Geo

Bronze
Mar 9, 2008
There are a few things missing that my Treo and Motorola have that are lacking on the iPhone.
Hawk really had a list of things to say that the iPhone was missing.
I do hope that the lack of Bluetooth available extras are a short time away (either from the 3rd party apps or Apple firmware upgrade in the future).
The iPhone deserves MORE than it has.
I just wanna send photos to and from my computer or other phone. Why can't I do that with my iPhone?

geo

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Okay this is Steve's policy? "SOME people wont want it, so NO ONE gets it." No wonder there isn't any mms. Shoot! If that's Apple's philosophy I'm surprised we have a camera at all! It most certainly doesn't meet any kind of "quality standards."

Yeah, and they don't allow you to dock/charge your iPhone while you listen to your music wirelessly. We need native A2DP support.

Sep 30, 2009
how about now?

now that FW 3.0 and 3.1 have been released is AD2P available on iPhone 3GS?
I really want to buy the altec lansing 903 backbeat headphones but don't know if they would work, i really don't want to buy the 906 since they have the bluetooth adapter (that would really defeat the purpose since i want to use them at the gym and anothe little box would just be in the way), Please let me know if you have any info regarding this!
Thank you!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Stereo bluetooth is now available for the 3G and 3Gs. I cannot remember if the V1 can use it, but I think that it's unable to because Apple said it doesn't have the supported hardware...

gadgeTT

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Austin, TX
www.twikiland.org
The Backbeats work great with the 3GS with the exception of track forward/reverse controls which don't work on the iPhone with any BT headsets. The BB's even have a cool feature whereby pressing the pause button during playback will not only pause the music, but also turn on the microphone to pass audio through the headset. Ex: you're at the gym jamming out and someone want's to ask you to work in - press the button on the headset and you don't even have to take the phones off to hear.

One caveat, though - the BB's are NOT sweatproof. Mine died after a few weeks worth of gym visits. I replaced them with Moto S9-HD's. They sound good, they work with Voice Control on the 3GS, and they are a tad more sweatproof. The fit isn't for everyone, though.

BTW, even though the 3GS has built in BT with A2DP, you can still use an A2DP dongle in the dock port. Doing so will enable the full AVRCP profile but at the expense of having a dongle plugged in.

HTH!