Why is Apple only releasing up to 16gb iPhone

netsec1

Aug 10, 2008
They just release their 160gb ipod, yet their iPhones still only go to 16gb. I understand they use flash and not hard drives, but common. Does anyone know if this is in the works?

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
Samsung makes the RAM chips used in the iPhones (and many other devices). Apple takes approximately 60-70% of Samsung total production of RAM chips.
Samsung was not able to ramp up production enough to supply Apple with the amount of RAM chips needed to produce the 32gb iPhone.
You can bet that a 32gb iPhone *will* be released before Christmas.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Samsung makes the RAM chips used in the iPhones (and many other devices). Apple takes approximately 60-70% of Samsung total production of RAM chips.
Samsung was not able to ramp up production enough to supply Apple with the amount of RAM chips needed to produce the 32gb iPhone.
I wonder why Samsung doesn't use those chips in their own cellphones? :laugh2:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Another reason is for profit for Apple. If they release an 8 and 16 and THEN a 16 GB, Apple is sure to get people to want to upgrade their tiny 8 or 16 for the "new and improved" 32 GB. I know I plan on it.

JSchu22

Jul 3, 2007
I don't think we will see an increase anytime soon. Certainly not before there is an increase in iPod touch capacity, because that could possibly cannibalize sales of what's, arguably, their best pure iPod.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Another reason is for profit for Apple. If they release an 8 and 16 and THEN a 16 GB, Apple is sure to get people to want to upgrade their tiny 8 or 16 for the "new and improved" 32 GB. I know I plan on it.
BINGO! Most technology is already somewhat old when it finally makes it to the retail market and is released to consumers. Trust me, it's not that they cannot do it at this point.

Aug 8, 2008
doesn't it just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when your coned into buying a 300$ product. hhaha, just kidding! I;m just sore because I want my darn iPhone to ship out already!

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Are you saying true on the RAM chips? I just want to clarify because RAM is completely different from the solid state memory that is the 8 and 16gb of the iPhone's memory. Now I could still see that of being true even with the FLASH memory that would be the solid state memory, but want to be sure.

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
Are you saying true on the RAM chips? I just want to clarify because RAM is completely different from the solid state memory that is the 8 and 16gb of the iPhone's memory. Now I could still see that of being true even with the FLASH memory that would be the solid state memory, but want to be sure.
yeah, I meant the flash memory used for storage in the iPhone (and iPod Touch / Nano).
A couple months ago, there was an article in the Wall Street Journal about Apple eating up the worldwide production of the flash memory.

metapin

Aug 11, 2008
and let me ask one question
isn't 16 gb enough?
More will cost more :)

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
isn't 16 gb enough?
This is just not true (at least for the equipment). The 16 GB V2 iPhone costs less than the original 8 GB V1 iPhone.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
This is just not true (at least for the equipment). The 16 GB V2 iPhone costs less than the original 8 GB V1 iPhone.
Not really, it costs less to the consumer due to subsidies from AT&T, but it does not cost less to produce.

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Not really, it costs less to the consumer due to subsidies from AT&T, but it does not cost less to produce.
Who cares about the cost to produce? (unless you have Apple/AT&T stock).

What matters is how much it costs to the consumer. The 16 GB V2 iPhone costs less to the consumer than the 8 GB V1 iPhone.

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
isn't 16 gb enough?
Honestly for me, 16gb kind of isn't enough. I mean now I only have the 4gb 1st gen, which works well enough for me. But I actually do have about 20-30 gb of music, and being able to have most or all of it with me would be pretty nice, albeit kind of a hassle finally organizing all that information. Not having the 32gb is one of the bigger reasons why I haven't bothered getting a 3g. If a 32gb comes out, and I think one will around the same amount of time afterwards that it took the 16gb to release, I may think about buying a 3g. Though, it'd probably be better just to wait for the next iteration of the iPhone.

JSchu22

Jul 3, 2007
Who cares about the cost to produce? (unless you have Apple/AT&T stock).

What matters is how much it costs to the consumer. The 16 GB V2 iPhone costs less to the consumer than the 8 GB V1 iPhone.
Well it's going to matter to anyone who has already purchased an iPhone with that subsidy, because it sure as hell wont be available to them if Apple releases an update anytime soon. Additionally, do the math- with the increased data costs the 3g iPhone isn't less expensive than the original, just less money up front.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
You have to keep the iPod Touch in mind. The iPod Touch is currently only 32GB and once it is upgraded to 64GB, stay tuned for the 32GB folks! I expect for a release this September/around Christmas time.

desibhar

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Well it's going to matter to anyone who has already purchased an iPhone with that subsidy, because it sure as hell wont be available to them if Apple releases an update anytime soon. Additionally, do the math- with the increased data costs the 3g iPhone isn't less expensive than the original, just less money up front.
I did the math, and taking into account net present value, you don't come out with that much of a difference.

However, my post was related to the equipment only. The monthly charges are a different story.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
You have to keep the iPod Touch in mind. The iPod Touch is currently only 32GB and once it is upgraded to 64GB, stay tuned for the 32GB folks! I expect for a release this September/around Christmas time.
No doubt there will be a 32 gig. Amazing for a phone when you think about it. But I really doubt that time frame. The 16 gig iPhone came out relatively late, and I feel the 32 gig will do the same.