why is edge so slow?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Zachfj

Oct 10, 2007
Edge cant possibly be as slow as it is. 3G or whatever they call it seems to be a lot faster, atleast thats what people say. So why so slow? Are the ATT atenna's outdated or are there to few? From what I know, or maybe not know, the signal waves that travel to the phone are moving at the speed of light? Does that have anything to do with the slowness?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It's just different technology. Actually, it's twice as fast as GPRS. Until they figure out a way to make 3g phones with more than 3 hours of talk time, I'll stick with EDGE.

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
The speed of light is not the controlling factor

The speed of propagation of the carrier does not equal the speed of data transfer - think about it sound travels around 300MPH but try saying hello - the time taken to say it has nothing to do with the speed of the carrier (sound). The speed of data transfer on EDGE (or for that fact WiFi etc) has more to do with the amount of data that the carrier can carry which is a function wavelength and how the data is packaged - you share the bandwidth with other users and telephone traffic.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
The speed of propagation of the carrier does not equal the speed of data transfer - think about it sound travels around 300MPH but try saying hello - the time taken to say it has nothing to do with the speed of the carrier (sound). The speed of data transfer on EDGE (or for that fact WiFi etc) has more to do with the amount of data that the carrier can carry which is a function wavelength and how the data is packaged - you share the bandwidth with other users and telephone traffic.
dude, what?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It isn't slow for everybody; it differs on your coverage, where you are, etc.

My EDGE speed is actually surprisingly zippy.

- John

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
I've found if you've got 1-2 bars of service you might as well not browse the net. 4-5 bars and you browse pretty quickly.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Edge is perfectly fine for most uses - not downloading files (boo - Apple I hate you sometimes), it's fine - i can tell when I'm only GPRS, and that's still fast enough.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
How would you know? You don't live where I live, and you don't own the iPhone I own.

I'm being serious. My EDGE isn't that slow.

- John
Come on man, seriously. How much variability could there be from region to region? 7, 10 percent?

Edge is slow.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Come on man, seriously. How much variability could there be from region to region? 7, 10 percent?

Edge is slow.
What the heck?

Why are you arguing when you really don't know?

I'm not kidding. Mine is not that slow. No joke.

- John

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Geez... some people's kids...

Yes, believe it or not, Edge has different speeds depending on where you are. For some, it's mind-numbingly slow (<40k/s)... for others (like me) it's respectably and quite useably fast (>160k/s... I've gotten up to 195k on indoor tests).

So complain all you want, just make sure you're complaining to the right people. It's AT&T that needs to beef up their network in ALL areas (not just major metros like where I live) for more consistency. But it's not the iPhone or Apple's fault. I think Apple was wise to go with the Edge network, as (for most) it is a good balance between speed and battery life and data plan prices. 3G is expensive, yo!

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
No dude but...

And to the one that stated why if the signal travels at the speed of light......
Let me try to make this simpler - whilst the electromagnetic waves (you know your cell signal) travel at the speed of light the data (telephone calls and internet traffic) packaged in it does not. The telephone traffic and internet traffic only travels as fast as the vendors electronics (read how fast the data can be converted to a wireless signal) and the amount of data it contains allows for (partially a function of wavelength). The performance of EDGE, GPRS and even G3 depends on the wavelength in use (controls how much total data the signal can carry, remember you share the space with all other users in your current cell), the amount of traffic (how many people are actively using the wavelength bandwidth) and the signals strength (mainly due to the need to 'cleanly' transmit the information, lowers signal mean poorer data transmission - its like the lower signal more dropped and distorted calls issue we all understand). Remember the only real difference between GPRS, EDGE and G3 is the way the data is packaged. This means all will vary dependent on the size of the local cell (cities generally have smaller and more cells), the current traffic load (just like the rest of the internet but gated but the wireless load on your current cell) and the strength of the signal in your current location (lower in cell 'blind' spots). This is why cities tend to have better performance as they have more cells etc.

Justin

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Mine is not all that slow either. I notice a difference based on my signal reception but when I have full strength (often, ie. almost always) its not too slow at all. Defiantly usable. It would be neat to have faster, but i'm not going to complain at all.

What the heck?

Why are you arguing when you really don't know?

I'm not kidding. Mine is not that slow. No joke.

- John

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Geez... some people's kids...

Yes, believe it or not, Edge has different speeds depending on where you are. For some, it's mind-numbingly slow (<40k/s)... for others (like me) it's respectably and quite useably fast (>160k/s... I've gotten up to 195k on indoor tests).
I was bored so I sat here reading this thread and did a speed test.
1st 180k/s... 2nd 309k/s... 3rd 161k/s... 4th 185k/s... 5th 95k/s

On WiFi....
1st 4907/s... 2nd 5019k/s... 3rd 5264k/s... 4th 5163k/s... 5th 5395k/s

Can anyone tell me if these are these good numbers?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly

On WiFi....
1st 4907/s... 2nd 5019k/s... 3rd 5264k/s... 4th 5163k/s... 5th 5395k/s

with the exception of that 5th edge test, those are stellar numbers. it will vary from test to test, but you seem to be fine.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
with the exception of that 5th edge test, those are stellar numbers. it will vary from test to test, but you seem to be fine.
Right after that 5th EDGE test, Safari crashed. I'm thinking it may have been in the process of crashing resulting in that number.

lefooey

Sep 28, 2007

My EDGE averages (according to the iPhone speed test) at around 160k if I have 3-5 bars of signal. EDGE pretty much fails (and calls get poor) if I have two or 1 bar. That said, EDGE has been available pretty much everywhere I've been so far. Can't say the same for my friend's "3G" phone on another carrier. 160k is pretty darn reasonable for having the internet everywhere you are, IMHO.