Why is everyplace that has jailbreak stuff saying this?

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Ok, so now im a bit curious... Im already JB'd 2.1 (to much issues with 2.2 im hearing about whatev.)

So i had a look around iclarified, Quickpwn, and other places for quickpwn etc.

Why are most of the sites that have to do with jailbreaking saying this or something close to this:

"Do not attempt these instructions for the 2.2 iPhone Firmware unless you don't care about a software unlock in the future. Using QuickPwn with the 2.2 iPhone Firmware could reduce your chances of being able to unlock the iPhone 3G."

What the hell is this all about? Im so confused.:oops:

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
It could reduce your chances of being able to unlock the 3G to work on a different carrier other than AT&T in the future.

But I think that's only with 2.2 and jailbreaking.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If you use Pwnage Tool, you will not need to update to the stock 2.2 first, thereby bypassing the baseband update that would occur. The Dev team has gotten close to unlocking the current baseband, but they cannot guarantee that they will ever be able to unlock this new one.

With the Quickpwn method, you are required to update your phone to 2.2 stock first. That's why, if you are ever interested in a software unlock for the 3G down the line, your safest bet is to use Pwnage Tool or avoid 2.2 altogether for now until more is known.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I don't understand? Arent Quickpwn and pwnagetool the exact same thing?! Im sorry for being stupid but whats the baseband etc?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, they're two tools that do the same thing, essentially: jailbreak you. they just use different ways to do it. Pwnage tool is only available for Mac, quickpwn for both Mac and PC.

The baseband is something you only need to concern yourself with if you're unlocking the phone. Do you ever plan on unlocking your phone, should the option become available? You do understand that unlocking differs from jailbreaking in that it means you can use the phone on any carrier, not just AT&T, right?

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Yeah i understand unlocking, i just was confused as to why the difference inbetween to jailbreak programs.

I do plan to unlock since im going back to london, and o2 or tmobile will be my main carrier but for now in the US im using AT&T.

I understand pwnagetool is for mac only, and quickpwn is for both...but do i have an alternative to quickpwn for my windows computer?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I tried using Quickpwn last night on my v1. It worked fine but I never got the option to unlock. I ran Pwnage tool and was unlocked in a matter of minutes. Yay.

gadha

Mar 25, 2008
I understand pwnagetool is for mac only, and quickpwn is for both...but do i have an alternative to quickpwn for my windows computer?
Pwnage tool and quickpwn work a bit differently. Pwnage tool creates a custom firmware, then you use iTunes to put this custom fw into your phone. But for quickpwn, you need to update your phone first using the regular firmware. And once updated, quickpwn will jailbreak your iPhone.

For your windows machine, you can download a custom firmware 2.2 that someone else made using pwnage....just look around in the forum. I've seen a few.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
does it mean, dev-team aren't going to try to unlock 2.2 iPhone ever?
or...?

just wondering....

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I don't think that it means they won't try. I think it means that it has taken them this long on the previous baseband that attempting it on the new one is going to be even more difficult.

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I don't think that it means they won't try. I think it means that it has taken them this long on the previous baseband that attempting it on the new one is going to be even more difficult.
I see it more like... never-ending battle between Apple programmar and dev-team... :p

Somehow, I think dev-team will eventually unlock 3G even with 2.2 or later version...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I see it more like... never-ending battle between Apple programmar and dev-team... :p

Somehow, I think dev-team will eventually unlock 3G even with 2.2 or later version...
I agree. There are a ton of people working on this so I'm sure we will eventually see a successful software unlock.

mike9954

Mar 25, 2009
what is the difference between yellowsnow and pawnage tool?

bgeorgis

Mar 11, 2009
I'm confused reading this thread:
I am an AT&T carrier and planning to move to London. I would like to of course jailbreak my iPhone, but also unlock it so that I can use it in London.
Now what is the best way to do so?
thank you!

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
what is the difference between yellowsnow and pawnage tool?
YellowSn0w is a program from Cydia that unlocks the phone.
Ive never used Pwnagetool but its pretty much a GUI that jailbreaks and or unlocks the phone.

I'm confused reading this thread:
I am an AT&T carrier and planning to move to London. I would like to of course jailbreak my iPhone, but also unlock it so that I can use it in London.
Now what is the best way to do so?
thank you!
From what i learned, Use pwnage tool or use quickpwn to unlock then in cydia download yellowsn0w.