Bronze
Jan 6, 2008
I have heard this before and want to know why its considered a dinosaur

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Because Steve Jobs said it is. (despite the millions of people around the globe that use it daily.)

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
who doesn't have an email account? and who doesn't have a phone with email capabilities nowadays?

not saying I agree with it, but I think most people have an email account and/or a phone that can receive emails. I think they're trying to say that mms is more for younger people, again this is just my interpretation, I'm not trying to imply anything. I haven't used mms in years though, for what it's worth...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
who doesn't have an email account? and who doesn't have a phone with email capabilities nowadays?
LOTS of people. And even if some have the capabilities of email on their phone, it is a hassle to setup, and they will get billed extra for the data used on the network if they aren't already on a plan.
I would say that a total of maybe a 5th of all the people I know have iPhones. Granted, it's a lot of people, but at the same time, I know a really large number of people. the rest either don't want to mess with setting it up, or simply don't want to be that "connected"- nevermind that even it the phone could retrieve email, it's in a horrid format and very difficult to use.
in another 5 years, I am sure that 75% of all mobile phone users will have or will be migrating to a phone like or greater than the iPhone. till then, we have to suffer not being able to send, or especially receive, MMS. (and please don't bring up that ghey-ass viewmyNIGHTMARE.com crap AT&T thinks is so nifty. it's not even a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.)

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
LOTS of people. And even if some have the capabilities of email on their phone, it is a hassle to setup, and they will get billed extra for the data used on the network if they aren't already on a plan.
I would say that a total of maybe a 5th of all the people I know have iPhones. Granted, it's a lot of people, but at the same time, I know a really large number of people. the rest either don't want to mess with setting it up, or simply don't want to be that "connected"- nevermind that even it the phone could retrieve email, it's in a horrid format and very difficult to use.
in another 5 years, I am sure that 75% of all mobile phone users will have or will be migrating to a phone like or greater than the iPhone. till then, we have to suffer not being able to send, or especially receive, MMS. (and please don't bring up that ghey-ass viewmyNIGHTMARE.com crap AT&T thinks is so nifty. it's not even a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.)
I understand. I only have a handful of close friends and they all have "smartphones" so it's never affected me really. I can definitely see it being annoying in your case though. Sorry man, maybe the next iPhone?

Ag-Ryan

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I sold my iPhone JUST because it didn't have mms, im 20 and in college, and mms is extremely important to me. email is a ***** to setup, and lots of people don't want to deal with the hastle, and its hard to explain them the steps they must go through to send me a mms via email, which also means i have to turn fetch on (which doesn't always work 100%) so i wont even get pictures people send via email for hours sometimes.

until Apple gets mms, i will not own another iPhone. its just ridiculous.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
with text messaging email has become less important. Important...but less important. I used to email my buddies when i was in the Marine Corps a lot. Now i just text or mms a picture.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Maybe someone, anyone could enligten me on this. Since Apple is hell bent on no MMS and AT&T's answer is viewmymessage. Why couldn't AT&T at least let users create their own username and password for much easier access to photo's sent to them via MMS? I rarely use MMS but every now and then someone will send MMS to my iPhone and along with it comes the long foolish different username and password. I just really can't understand the logic behind this. Mark

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Maybe someone, anyone could enligten me on this. Since Apple is hell bent on no MMS and AT&T's answer is viewmymessage. Why couldn't AT&T at least let users create their own username and password for much easier access to photo's sent to them via MMS? I rarely use MMS but every now and then someone will send MMS to my iPhone and along with it comes the long foolish different username and password. I just really can't understand the logic behind this. Mark
better yet how come there's no option to forwarded to your email address?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.

not saying I agree with it, but I think most people have an email account and/or a phone that can receive emails. I think they're trying to say that mms is more for younger people, again this is just my interpretation, I'm not trying to imply anything. I haven't used mms in years though, for what it's worth...
I think this is the idea. I know we have "older" people here that use MMS, but as a whole, NO ONE in my age group uses MMS. We ALL use email. BTW - I'm 27.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I think this is the idea. I know we have "older" people here that use MMS, but as a whole, NO ONE in my age group uses MMS. We ALL use email. BTW - I'm 27.
My Wife is 31 and only uses MMS, even though her phone can handle email. I don't think it's anything to do with Age as much as availability. Since my wife directs independently, most of the actors we work with all have phones that either do not offer the true email experience, or cannot do email at all- nevermind the data plan that would have to accompany them to access email.
The only people I know that email from their phones on a regular basis are iPhone users and people who have to have a blackberry for work.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
My Wife is 31 and only uses MMS, even though her phone can handle email. I don't think it's anything to do with Age as much as availability. Since my wife directs independently, most of the actors we work with all have phones that either do not offer the true email experience, or cannot do email at all- nevermind the data plan that would have to accompany them to access email.
The only people I know that email from their phones on a regular basis are iPhone users and people who have to have a blackberry for work.
Right. I know you use MMS. You've stated that already. Dandy. I was just stating my side of the coin, that's all. Plus - the bolded line describes everyone I know. Every single person I know has an iPhone, BB, or Treo. All of which require a data plan. Thus - it's not requiring anything "extra". I understand your POV, and I get it. Like I said, I'm just sharing mine.

edit: plus not all these people have smartphones for work. Some are college kids who just want smartphone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That's the problem. Apple is aiming this iPhone at EVERYONE. Young people and old people alike. I would say a great majority of iPhone owners are younger. If younger people are the ones that use MMS, why not include it on the phone?

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I REALLY could care less whether it has mms or not. Anyone can view that stupid view my message page if they want, and anyone can just send an email instead.
The OTHER side of the coin is that mms has absolutely nothing to do with age, it has to do with if someone just wants to send one. Was that prophetic or what? It is really stupid that the iPhone doesn't have mms or copy and paste, but I still love my iPhone and think that anyone that would ditch their iPhone just because it doesn't have mms doesn't deserve to have one in the first place.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
My whole family (various ages) all send each other pictures. I have gone to the store and have taken a picture of something and send it back to my kids to see if they like it. Not only that they all send videos to each other too and I am really out of the loop on that one. I have showed them how to send a picture to my email but for those who don't know my phone isn't capable of MMS, I get the damn viewmymessage thing. I really don't think age has a whole lot to do with it. My kids get and send MMS all the time to friends and each other and my friends/relatives that are older send them too.
It is not a dinosaur just because Apple hasn't wanted to add it to their phones. They always try to make their stupid decisions sound like it's a cool thing to do.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
This is an interesting read

Another thing which Digital Life America's study has revealed is that the average age for the iPhone owner will be that of 31 years old. This number has been reached after making a medium of all ages of the people who declared that they intend on purchasing this smartphone. Actually, there was about the same percentage of buyers in all age ranges from 15 to 49 years, showing the same amount of interest among people of this age.

-more-

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
This is an interesting read

Another thing which Digital Life America's study has revealed is that the average age for the iPhone owner will be that of 31 years old. This number has been reached after making a medium of all ages of the people who declared that they intend on purchasing this smartphone. Actually, there was about the same percentage of buyers in all age ranges from 15 to 49 years, showing the same amount of interest among people of this age.

-more-
Interesting read. Again though - I'm just sharing my experience.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Bottom line: personal preference
That said, I think most people prefer it.