Why Jailbreak?

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
I know this is a "mod" forum and I should look in this forum before I ask this question, but I am not a deeply computer savvy programmar/hacker and I don't understand much of what is here.

I understand that Jailbreaking my iPhone allows me to use other carriers and use apps that are not allowed on the iPhone.

Other than those two reasons, WHY should I unlock my phone?
What are the benefits to a non-hacker?
What are the most popular "things" to do to an unlocked phone, and how difficult are they to perform by a non-hacker?

I will continue to look through the posts, but if anyone has a quick answer I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Dana

siantslil23

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
well w/o jailbreaking the iPhone, i thought it was very dull and boring...
but after jailbreaking it, its interesting how theres something to download on installerapp.
makes my iPhone more fun...

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I know this is a "mod" forum and I should look in this forum before I ask this question, but I am not a deeply computer savvy programmar/hacker and I don't understand much of what is here.

I understand that Jailbreaking my iPhone allows me to use other carriers and use apps that are not allowed on the iPhone.

What are the most popular "things" to do to an unlocked phone, and how difficult are they to perform by a non-hacker?

I will continue to look through the posts, but if anyone has a quick answer I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Dana
First off you are talking about two different things in your question.

Unlocking means to mod your phone so that it can be used on other carriers.

Jailbreaking allows you to add third party applications to your iPhone.

For myself the best thing on my jailbroken (not unlocked) 1.1.1 phone is the ability to customize the look of the screen (using Summerboard or Customize) and to play NES games. I also use a program called Lockbox to store all my credit card numbers, passwords, and other confidential information.

Other than that I like Mobilefinder because I can send full-resolution photos from the phone.

Hope this helps,

J

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Unfortunately, explaining jailbreaking and unlocking does not go along with a short post. But here goes.

Unlocking - basically, this is for those people who either don't like AT&T (or whatever carrier they're stuck with), like a different carrier and want to switch, or like going against Apple's rules. While unlocking can be done with the click of the button, and requires only software, it can create issues.

Updating and restoring is a pain in the ass when you've unlocked, an I've heard numerous other issues being caused by it. Of course, there isn't a 100% chance that they'll happen to you - but it's possible.

Jailbreaking- Exactly what it says it is; it lets your iPhone out of "jail'. By jailbreaking, you can download hundreds of packages and applications right off your iPhone. But the applications are not supported by Apple; and not necessarily nade to work seamlessly with the iPhone.

It doesn't happen to everyone, but I've jailbroken and Restored 8 times now - each becuse the jailbreaking caused by phone to be extremely unstable, and caused fast loss of battery life.

But some people absolutely can not live with additional applications. It's a must for them. However, Apple is releasing an SDK (Software Development Kit) in February. This will allow you to download third-party applications from Apple, with Apple permission.

Hope this helps clear some things up.

guest0320

Silver
Nov 11, 2007
Thanks to all.

I do not want to unlock my phone. I may be alone on this one, but I have no major problems with ATT.

I have no aversion to jailbreaking my phone, but definitely cannot afford to have a phone go down (or become unstable).

Also, after looking through this forum , I noticed that I (unfortunately for me) updated my iPhone thorough I Tunes to version 1.1.2.

Now apparently I have to DOWNgrade my phone back to 1.1.1.
Is this a problem?

Dana

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
downgrading, jailbreaking upgrading and jailbreaking again is quite straightforward particularly on an activated locked phone, just a few things to download and you're set to go. You'd be backtogether in half an hour max. iTunes will restore your data for you.
hope this helps

Hmind

Jul 17, 2007

Thanks
Dana

Why not?

(you said short answer :) )

Last edited by a moderator:

Banzai

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
With Apple providing an app store what reason is there to jailbreak the phone now? ... besides ringtones.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
There are many jailbreak apps that will never make it to the Appstore because of the limitations of the Apple SDK and requirements for Appstore submissions. For example, anything that requires system-file access, or needs to run in the background, or simply doesn't "follow Apple's rules".... these programs will always require a jailbreak.

For most iPhone owners, such things aren't necessary to enjoy the phone, and the Appstore has gone a long way towards making jailbreaking unnecessary for those folks. But there will always be users who want to tweak with things just a bit further.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
You don't even have to jailbreak your phone for ringtones if yuo have an iMac with Garage band. There are a few reasons to jailbreak your phone still today. One is to have a different carrier than ATT. Another is to change the way icons look, change the way the weather looks, the dialer looks, the slider to unlock the phone, to change the background behind the icons, change the way the dock looks, etc. It just allows you to customize your phone much much more than Apple does off the bat. Even with the App store.

Banzai

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Thanks for the replys, I didn't realize summerboard was out of the scope for a developer app.

Looks like I'll keep jailbreaking to tweak with the unofficial fun stuff!

Aug 5, 2008
I was a big fan of jailbreaking and all of the apps back on my 1st gen phone and I am pretty sure I can do this with no problem on my 3G but is it worth it? Is there enough apps? I really use to love the old apps

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Yes you can do this easily, with winpwn/pwnage depending on if you are using windows or a mac. I just don't like the fact that you have to restore. I think it is worth it because it is just so easy and simple to do. I love having themes, I just haven't found many apps that I want, but that could be because I am not really looking.