Why Jailbreak?

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
I'm sure you have your redeeming qualities....... ;)
I think it's awesome that u 2 are on here, openly acknowledging your relationship while maintaining separate identities, and offering invaluable help to members here.
You both have my respect.
Best,
James

Rootntootn

Bronze
Sep 11, 2011
I've had a number of iPhones and never have been tempted to jailbreak 'em. They seem to do all I need (and more). Got 200+ apps. It's not because I'm scared of screwing things up (well, maybe some!)

So what functions/apps do you get through JB? What changes would Apple have to make to IOs to make you not bother to JB?

One thing I'd like a lot is home screen widgets to access lower Setting functions quicker. I've been enjoying Jeff Broderick's profiles to do thus but lost 'em since updating to 5.1.

Just a curious user; maybe I'll learn about something big time I've been missing, about greener grass on the other side!
Thanks!

JDem

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 19, 2011
NNJ and Central PA
For me I jailbreak because I get features and functionality out of the phone that is otherwise not available but probably should be. Below I list a couple of jailbreak apps I have that perform functionality that is either convenience items or items I feel should be available already.

-SBSettings gives me the ability to use toggles for system parameters that are normally 2, 3 or 4 levels into system settings. With a swipe of my finger, I have a one click toggle that gives access to Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc...

-BiteSMS gives you a Quick Compose/Quick Reply option (among other things). Its a more feature rich SMS application than the native App. You can hide the preview AND the sender with Bite. Password protect SMS messages. It is what the native app should be.

- Siri Toggles allows me to tell Siri to enable or disable a lot of the things the SBSettings allows.

- Navigate from Maps gives a tab to have any address you find in Maps automatically populate in whatever GPS app you have installed. This one is HUGE for me especially when I travel for work.

- Infinifolders allows you to put folders inside other folders. (kinda corny but still ;))

- Folder Closer simply closes whatever folder you opened to open an App inside. So when you close the App, the folder is not still open.

- Tap to unlock is GREAT if you are lazy, simply touch the unlock button instead of sliding.

- Last but not least, themes. If you ever want to simply change the complexion of your phone, just swap the theme.

I am sure others have different answers/reasons for jailbreaking, but I mostly just like to get more of what this great phone is capable of.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
You have 3G unrestrictor that allows you to face time over 3G & it makes YouTube crystal clear. There's a ton of stuff. Being able to skip as many songs as I like with no advertisements on Pandora is nice too.

Rootntootn

Bronze
Sep 11, 2011
For me I jailbreak because I get features and functionality out of the phone that is otherwise not available but probably should be. Below I list a couple of jailbreak apps I have that perform functionality that is either convenience items or items I feel should be available already.

-SBSettings gives me the ability to use toggles for system parameters that are normally 2, 3 or 4 levels into system settings. With a swipe of my finger, I have a one click toggle that gives access to Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, WiFi, etc...

-BiteSMS gives you a Quick Compose/Quick Reply option (among other things). Its a more feature rich SMS application than the native App. You can hide the preview AND the sender with Bite. Password protect SMS messages. It is what the native app should be.

- Siri Toggles allows me to tell Siri to enable or disable a lot of the things the SBSettings allows.

- Navigate from Maps gives a tab to have any address you find in Maps automatically populate in whatever GPS app you have installed. This one is HUGE for me especially when I travel for work.

- Infinifolders allows you to put folders inside other folders. (kinda corny but still ;))

- Folder Closer simply closes whatever folder you opened to open an App inside. So when you close the App, the folder is not still open.

- Tap to unlock is GREAT if you are lazy, simply touch the unlock button instead of sliding.

- Last but not least, themes. If you ever want to simply change the complexion of your phone, just swap the theme.

I am sure others have different answers/reasons for jailbreaking, but I mostly just like to get more of what this great phone is capable of.
Thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough reply! Lot of things look good, especially SBSettings and Siri Toggles.
The weird thing is (but not so surprising) that this thread got booted to the Jailbreak area (and I can't even see that on my iPhone). I'm accessing your repl on a Win computer.

My basic take is, all the people finding a way to make something work the way they want it to create the light of humanity, its real creation. Apple is an admirable corporation, but no matter how good its developers are, no one group or organization can see around all the corners and see all the best solutions.

If I had anything to say at Apple, I'd have a crew of really good people constantly trolling the 'complaint' and 'jailbreak-revolutionary' sections of all the major online communities. New pearls will be found there!

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
If I had anything to say at Apple, I'd have a crew of really good people constantly trolling the 'complaint' and 'jailbreak-revolutionary' sections of all the major online communities. New pearls will be found there!
Apple went WAY beyond trolling the jailbreak community...they hired comex, the guy behind the "star" and "jailbreakme.com" jailbreaks.

I just hope he's helping them add new features to iOS and not pointing out exploits and vulnerabilities....

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
My iPhone 4 has been jailbroke for quite sometime and I love being able to customize my phone but today I bit the bullet and purchased an iPhone 5 and was wondering if it was actually worth the risk of voiding the warranty and jailbreaking my new iPhone? I really miss all the extra apps I can download with Cydia but Im not sure I want to risk voiding the warranty. Thoughts? Thanks, Tug

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It doesn't void the warranty as long as you restore it to factory settings before taking it in for replacement or repair.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
My iPhone 4 has been jailbroke for quite sometime and I love being able to customize my phone but today I bit the bullet and purchased an iPhone 5 and was wondering if it was actually worth the risk of voiding the warranty and jailbreaking my new iPhone? I really miss all the extra apps I can download with Cydia but Im not sure I want to risk voiding the warranty. Thoughts? Thanks, Tug
This is a worry for ALL of my friends. If you need to take your iPhone in to get looked at or repaired, I would restore your iPhone before doing so. They may not help you if they notice that it is jailbroken, but by restoring to factory, it removes the jailbreak and you are good to go and you have nothing to worry about.

We hope you decide to jailbreak again! It is a lot of fun and we are here to help you with any questions or issues you have.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Thank you for such a prompt reply. Like I said in my original post I absolutely love the idea of customizing my iPhone beyond what Apple allows us to but there's that voice inside of me that's telling me to err on the side of caution and not do it.

Excellent points... thank you Europa and MoneyMaker. Now to find a bluetooth as my OLD Motorola took a dump today :(

I think it is. Follow along with us as we accompany Zanthe on his great jailbreaking journey:

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Thank you for such a prompt reply. Like I said in my original post I absolutely love the idea of customizing my iPhone beyond what Apple allows us to but there's that voice inside of me that's telling me to err on the side of caution and not do it.
We completely understand, but if you do decide to jailbreak, we are here to help you. I am here almost 24/7 as I sleep with my iPhone. :)

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I went into an Apple store a year ago because my headphone jack wasn't working. I totally forgot that I'd jailbroken the phone. Showed my phone to the Genius, and she told me that I'd better restore my phone and come back.

Went to Starbucks, backed up and restored my phone, went back to the Apple store and they gave me a replacement.

Totally not a warranty issue.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I went into an Apple store a year ago because my headphone jack wasn't working. I totally forgot that I'd jailbroken the phone. Showed my phone to the Genius, and she told me that I'd better restore my phone and come back.

Went to Starbucks, backed up and restored my phone, went back to the Apple store and they gave me a replacement.

Totally not a warranty issue.
They are definitely an amazing corporation who care so much for their customers. :)