Why Jailbreak?

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
My iPhone 5 is boring without a jaibreak so what I'll more than likely do is wait a week to make sure the phone works without having any major issues. If everythings ok within a week I'll go ahead and jailbreak it. I have noticed the battery life is much worst than the iPhone 4, within a few hours whether Im using it or not I have to recharge it, its not completely drained but it has used a substantial amount of juice. Thanks to those who to the time to respond, Tug

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I bit the bullet and j/b my phone 5 a few days ago and what a difference it made. My iPhone 4 was j/b and while it was ok in terms of the visual effects my iPhone 5 is much more enjoyable and is easier on the eyes. The one thing I don't like is I paid for iProtect and iBlacklist and I keep getting a pop up message telling me I need to purchase the program again. I contacted each developer on two separate occasions and have yet to get a reply. Thanks for the help, Tug

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
It doesn't void the warranty as long as you restore it to factory settings before taking it in for replacement or repair.
I wonder if Apple will ever put in some sort of indicator, memory chip that can't be erased, if you jailbreak and than restore to stock, kinda(but not really) like their moisture indicator.

ednygma

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 9, 2009
Louisville, KY
I bit the bullet and j/b my phone 5 a few days ago and what a difference it made. My iPhone 4 was j/b and while it was ok in terms of the visual effects my iPhone 5 is much more enjoyable and is easier on the eyes. The one thing I don't like is I paid for iProtect and iBlacklist and I keep getting a pop up message telling me I need to purchase the program again. I contacted each developer on two separate occasions and have yet to get a reply. Thanks for the help, Tug
I don't know about iProtect but for iBlacklist the process is that they allow you to transfer to a different device free if in the first year after purchase. After that I believe it is 50% of the cost, so $6. This is listed in their manual which can be found on their website: http://www.iblacklist.com.br/

To transfer, you can do it from their website using their Migration tab by entering your paypal account email, your original registration key (found on your paypal receipt) and the new registration key (found in the iBlacklist app). If you don't have your original registration key you will need to email them at sales@iblacklist.com.br

I hope this helps and good luck!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Some purchases are tied to the serial number of the phone and must be purchased again on new devices. It's unfair, IMO, and I think they should at least be required to notify people before purchase. Thankfully, it's not very common, but iProtect is one of those apps, and it's expensive ($9 after the trial). I recommend Lockdown Pro as an alternative. It's cheaper ($3) anyway.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I purchased iProtect for my iPhone 4, when I upgraded to my iPhone 5 and wanted to us iProtect but they wanted another $9.00. I contacted the "author" twice and never received a reply. I thought about contacting pay pal and submitting a dispute but decided against it. BTW jailbreaking your iPhone is the only way to go, its amazing how much more I can do with my iPhone 5 now that its J/B

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I purchased iProtect for my iPhone 4, when I upgraded to my iPhone 5 and wanted to us iProtect but they wanted another $9.00. I contacted the "author" twice and never received a reply. I thought about contacting pay pal and submitting a dispute but decided against it. BTW jailbreaking your iPhone is the only way to go, its amazing how much more I can do with my iPhone 5 now that its J/B
Yes, jailbreaking is a lot of fun.

As for iProtect, have you tried signing in to your account in Cydia to see your purchased apps etc?

Sent using iCafe app

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Yeah I did Money Maker and for some reason iProtect isn't showing up. I logged onto my pay pal account and found the day that I purchased iProtect so Im certain thats one of the many apps I paid for.

What I found interesting was both my g/f & I both had our iPhone 4's up for sale on craigslist. I listed mine as being j/b while her's wasn't, she sold her phone within hours of listing it and mine didn't sell till I removed the j/b and relisted it a few days later.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Yeah I did Money Maker and for some reason iProtect isn't showing up. I logged onto my pay pal account and found the day that I purchased iProtect so Im certain thats one of the many apps I paid for.

What I found interesting was both my g/f & I both had our iPhone 4's up for sale on craigslist. I listed mine as being j/b while her's wasn't, she sold her phone within hours of listing it and mine didn't sell till I removed the j/b and relisted it a few days later.
As for you and your girlfriend both selling your iPhones, some people do not want a jailbroken phone, and others will jailbreak it after receiving it.

That's strange that iProtect is not showing up. It could possibly be that a whole new version and iProtect was submitted to Cydia. I'm not positive though. I hope you get it resolved. You may also be able to get help by contacting the creator of Cydia, Jay Freeman (saurik.)

Sent using iCafe app

Jaccks

Bronze
Mar 30, 2011
I've had iPhones for 3 years now and I really love em. I don't know anyone who has jail broken and I really don't know what it means and what the advantages are. Could someone give me a general idea? Thankyou.

Sent using iCafe app

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Jailbreaking is the equivalent to taking the red pill.

Morpheus: You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Take the red pill and join us in the iPhone Wonderland.