Why Jailbreak?

Jul 19, 2009
I'm on AT&T, and my roommate freakin' jailbreaked my 3GS without asking (using the purplera1n thing). Who does that?

Anyway... what is the point? How do I unjailbreak it?

I read somewhere that you can get free apps with jailbreaking, but it looks like you can just pay for more apps (through Cydia?).

Also - if I buy an app through the appstore (I really want Things..), and then I unjailbreak the phone, do I lose the app altogether?

Thanks,
Kim

partizan

Bronze
Feb 25, 2008
Milton, Ontario
You can just restore in iTunes back to stock.

You can get many different free apps from Cydia (WinterBoard for theming, Open SSH, SBSettings, Backgrounder, CyDelete, Mobile Theatre come to mind).

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I'm on AT&T, and my roommate freakin' jailbreaked my 3GS without asking (using the purplera1n thing). Who does that?
An ass with no respect for other people and their property.

Anyway... what is the point? How do I unjailbreak it?
Jailbreaking can open your phone to apps that are not approved by Apple to run on your phone, it also gives you access to the phones file system. Many people jailbreak for different things, one of the big ones is theming the phone to how they want it to look.

Unjailbreaking is as easy as a restore. If you have not backed up your phone since the jailbreak...you can restore from back up, if you have backed up your phone (backing up takes place each time you sync your phone) you should restore as a new phone.

I read somewhere that you can get free apps with jailbreaking, but it looks like you can just pay for more apps (through Cydia?).
If your talking about app store apps, that is cracked applications and that is not allowed to be discussed here. There are lots of jailbroken apps that are legitimate and free, many others cost money to buy.

Also - if I buy an app through the appstore (I really want Things..), and then I unjailbreak the phone, do I lose the app altogether?
If you buy an app from the app store, it's yours, no matter whether your jailbroken or you restore or even if you switch phones, you won't lose it.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Jailbreaking can be really useful. If you care for downloading some free apps that enhance your iPhone such as backgrounder or you want to theme your phone then its great. If at any time you choose to unjailbreak you restore in iTunes.

Anything you purchase through the app store or iTunes will never be lost through a restore. Just make sure before you restore you sync, this will make sure any aps you bought on the phone sync to your app library and you wont have to remember what to download again. :)

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
How do you know it's Jailbroken? Did he tell you & not show you what you can do to your iPhone after it's Jailbroken?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
How do you know it's Jailbroken? Did he tell you & not show you what you can do to your iPhone after it's Jailbroken?
I think the OP knida had more knowledge of the JB than it just being done, but didn't really want to announce it here. If thats the case, don't worry, its not frowned upon here! :)

If your room mate really did just do it behind your back... burn them alive! :sneaky:

Jul 19, 2009
So having it jailbroken is? The roommate just heard that the 3GS was jailbroken THAT day, and installed it immediately, thinking I'd be like "Score!"

I just didn't know what that meant... I only knew "Someone was playing with my 3GS!"

Thanks for all the info! :)

SBSettings is awesome.

What else do I get?

Is there an easier way to transfer files to the phone? Is that OpenSSH?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Is there an easier way to transfer files to the phone? Is that OpenSSH?
OpenSSH is a must when I jb. its great. Read up on how to use it 1st though, as modding / deleting files can be detrimental to your iPhone!

If I were you id check out the modification thread on this site! Should have all the info you need

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
If it wasn't for my fear of losing my warranty, the question would be "why in the world wouldn't you jailbreak your iPhone?" Half of my incredible frustrations are Apple's locking off what it seems hackers do much better. For starters, the amazing today screen that will show you everything going on like calendar, latest calls, email, etc. just pushing one button. That's amazing.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
You should probably have your iPhone password locked for now on so no one can mess with it!
But no harm in jailbreaking you can restore if you don't like it.
My #1 reason to have it jailbroken is theming/customizing my iPhone.

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
because Apple and att want your wallet and bank account ^_^ ( un-bastardy of course! )

jimmy-m

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
Quick question. What happens when 3.1 is released? Will the upgrade be voluntary? I'm tempted to wait until 3.1 comes out if it's going to be a pain in the neck when it happens.

Which method of jailbreak is best?

Thanks.

Jul 20, 2009
Nothing wrong with having it jailbroken as some of the best apps are not yet in app store. As far as I know Apple can't see that your phone is jailbroken or am i wrong here.? Can someone confirm this for me?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Apple will try and close the trap doors that enable jailbreaking with every update. However, the Devteam and others usually are able to jailbreak within 7 days or less of an official release.

don't forget many of the Devteam will have access to the beta firmware will gives them a head start.

Apple could technically tell if your phone was jailbroken, but whether this would infringe on privacy laws or not is a grey area. As long as you NEVER take your jailbroken iPhone into a genius without 1st restoring in iTunes to remove the jailbreak then you will be fine.

Its really not a hasstle to jailbreak 3.0 then update to 3.1. You are going to have to update eventually, and the 3.1 jailbreak will be released really quickly after the official 3.1 release.

The reson the Devteam don't release the jailbreak sooner is so Apple don't close the door on that particular method. Like has happened with purplera1n.

If you want to jailbreak 3.0, do it. Then, when 3.1 is released and jailbroken just plug into iTunes and backup. Then in cydia you can also download an appbackup which remembers all your jailbroken apps so you don't have to remember each individual one. Click check for updates in iTunes. Update to 3.1 then just jailbreak using whichever tool is available. Open cydia and install your apps and your back where you left off.

Very little if any data will be lost.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I sometimes wish it wasn't called Jailbreaking. In my opinion, this term has a negative connotation. Its not bad at all. It takes 5 minutes to do and a few more to undo with a restore.
For Apple not to allow some of the jailbroken apps is understandable though. Most of the people who own an iPhone probably wouldn't know what to do with OpenSSH or Backgrounder. Then they would show up at the Apple store asking why their phone is so sluggish or doesn't work at all!
But for me, I consider myself an advaced user. I jailbreak for themes, SSH, Backgrounder and catagories. These few apps transform the iPhone into what it should be. If I ever need to take it to the Apple store, I just restore to my backup and we are good to go.

And Croucher is right, Cydia has an app called Aptbackup which backs up a list of all your apps from Cydia. When you need to restore to stock and then back to jailbroken, its a pretty simple process.

My question also.
I personally used purplera1n and haven't had an issue yet. I didn't tyr redsnow but Ive read good things about that as well. I think its a matter of preference. purplera1n was so simple.

Jul 18, 2009
Morganton, NC
www.myspace.com
My original reason for jailbreaking was themes and customizing everything down to my signal bar colors o.O

But holy crap theres SO many more options than just that. I've spent literally 3 days hooked up to Cydia/AppStore having a BLAST lol.

I'd recommend it for anyone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Anyone? Even the technologically challenged and criminally insane?

Jul 18, 2009
Morganton, NC
www.myspace.com
Sure, if the technologically challenged try it and break it, oops? Besides, it's relatively easy to work and there's forums for help EVERYWHERE.

As for the criminally insane, they don't need it anyway, so if they screw it up it doesn't matter .. they can be entertained for hours behind their cell doors :sneaky:As long as it doesn't have massive hacking capabilities o.O, will keep them outta trouble lol.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Sure, if the technologically challenged try it and break it, oops? Besides, it's relatively easy to work and there's forums for help EVERYWHERE.

As for the criminally insane, they don't need it anyway, so if they screw it up it doesn't matter .. they can be entertained for hours behind their cell doors :sneaky:As long as it doesn't have massive hacking capabilities o.O, will keep them outta trouble lol.
I'm sure they'll be entertained in other ways behind those cell doors. Whether or not they'll like it is another story :015:stickouttounge:005:snicker