Why no "Easy" Mac OS jailbreak yet? (AKA: AppTapp)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jakkyl

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
So why is it that the Mac users out there are still waiting for a relatively easy method of jailbreaking when the Windows guys have had the ability for a while now? (http://forums.everythingicafe.com/t...1-1-without-restoring-to-1-0-2-windows.12715/) I am lucky I suppose in that I have my Mac running VMWare Fusion so I used XP within Fusion to use the touchFree method that Tin-man typed up in the above post (Thanks again Tin-man!) but plenty of people have Mac's that would love an easy jailbreak solution too. I'm not complaining since I already have 1.1.1 on mine along with all my 3rd party apps (so far the only things I have found that don't work on the apps that I have is the SMS send sound for SMS messages ALWAYS stays the same even if you change it in Customize, also my custom ringtones are still assigned to my contacts but I cannot access those ringtones nor add new ones) but I can live with that. Just wondered when and if we will see an AppTapp method for Mac since the above method is so easy in Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
So why is it that the Mac users out there are still waiting for a relatively easy method of jailbreaking when the Windows guys have had the ability for a while now? (http://forums.everythingicafe.com/t...-restoring-to-1-0-2-windows.12715/#post123403) I am lucky I suppose in that I have my Mac running VMWare Fusion so I used XP within Fusion to use the touchFree method that Tin-man typed up in the above post (Thanks again Tin-man!) but plenty of people have Mac's that would love an easy jailbreak solution too. I'm not complaining since I already have 1.1.1 on mine along with all my 3rd party apps (so far the only things I have found that don't work on the apps that I have is the SMS send sound for SMS messages ALWAYS stays the same even if you change it in Customize, also my custom ringtones are still assigned to my contacts but I cannot access those ringtones nor add new ones) but I can live with that. Just wondered when and if we will see an AppTapp method for Mac since the above method is so easy in Windows.
I haven't used it but the just-released version of iNdependence seems to work, though it demands you downgrade to 1.0.2 with it, in order to jailbreak 1.1.1:
http://code.google.com/p/independence/

I don't know why so many in the iPhone dev camp (both Mac and Windows) have shunned the tiff exploit. Sure it might go away tomorrow, or after the next iPhone firmware update. But right now it works, is fast, and to me it sure beats having to downgrade to 1.0.2. If it weren't for the iPodf touch folks, I don't think we'd have any easy jailbreak solutions right now.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I'm curious as well.

For me, its more a matter of "do they know something we don't about the current patching methods?"

I mean maybe its not released yet because they're concerned about the phone's safety still, as they cannot get their current methods to be 100% successful?

Just take a look at Tinman's thread on the subject, its gone on to 17 pages, and they're not all "THANKS YOURE THE BEST!" posts either. Its still "iffy" even on the PC.

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I ended upp using a mixed iJailbreak solution. It is supposed to be for iPod Touch and not necessarily iPhone. It DID NOT WORK straight 'out of the box' for my iPhone, but simply executing the 5 or 6 commands that make up iJailbreak by using copy/paste right into the terminal worked GREAT!
The only reason iJailbreak did not work was file names were not correct for my iPhone. I simply changed the file name in the copy/paste and it works.
I can post the whole proceedure if anyone is interested. IT DOES NOT REQUIRE DOWNGRADE to 1.0.2

Took just a couple of minutes

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
I ended upp using a mixed iJailbreak solution. It is supposed to be for iPod Touch and not necessarily iPhone. It DID NOT WORK straight 'out of the box' for my iPhone, but simply executing the 5 or 6 commands that make up iJailbreak by using copy/paste right into the terminal worked GREAT!
The only reason iJailbreak did not work was file names were not correct for my iPhone. I simply changed the file name in the copy/paste and it works.
I can post the whole proceedure if anyone is interested. IT DOES NOT REQUIRE DOWNGRADE to 1.0.2

sharing in caring cause im having trouble jailbreaking on my pc " the easy" way as they claim, have to try on my mac

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.

That would be helpful. And appreciated.

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
OK Here goes. First download the iJailbreak application and install in your applications folder per instructions http://www.ijailbreak.com

Then on your iPhone, navigate to Link removed, website no longer available. Once Safari crashes, connect your iPhone to your Mac. Close iTunes if open.

Open a terminal window and copy paste these lines:

mkdir /opt && mkdir /opt/local && mkdir /opt/local/lib && cp /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/readline/libreadline.5.2.dylib /opt/local/lib/
cd /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/ && ./iphuc -qs ./getfile

mv /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/iPhonefs/rdisk0s1 /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/iPhonefs/rdisk0s1.dmg

.....THIS PREVIOUS COMMAND TAKES A WHILE , BE PATIENT

hdiutil attach /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/iPhonefs/rdisk0s1.dmg -mount required

.....THIS PREVIOUS COMMAND CAN ALSO TAKE A WHILE, BUT NOT ALWAYS , BE PATIENT

rm /Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle/private/etc/fstab && cp /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/fstab /Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle/private/etc/

mkdir /Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle/Applications/Installer.app/ && cp -R /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/Installer.app/* /Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle/Applications/Installer.app/

mkdir /Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle/private/var/root/ && mkdir /Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle/private/var/root/Library/ && mkdir /Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle/private/var/root/Library/Installer/ && cp -R /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/Installer/* /Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle/private/var/root/Library/Installer/

hdiutil unmount '/Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle' -force

cd /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/ && ./iphuc -qs ./putfile

Once you get a command prompt back after this last one, restart the iPhone by holding the power button down until the red slider appears, then slide it to power it off. Then turn it back on.

Then copy/paste this line into Terminal:

cd /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/ssh/ && ./iphuc -qs ./iphucscript

Then power off the iPhone again just like before and power back on

cd /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/ssh/ && ./iphuc -qs ./iphucscript2

Wait 10 seconds after getting prompt back and then reboot your iPod yet another time. Once it's booted it will automatically restart, after that press OK.

CLEANUP

cd /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/iPhonefs/ && rm rdisk0s1.dmg

CAVEATS:
I am actually hoping to have this as a one click application later today. The problem with finishing it though, is I need someone to try this. IT WILL NOT HARM THE PHONE IF IT DOES NOT WORK. The problem with the original iJailbreak was simply the name of the disk image that was created. It expected Snowbird3A110a.N45Bundle and on MY computer what was created was Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle - that was the only problem. So when I ran the original iJailbreak, it would stop and tell me that it could not find a file. If it creates the same file again on someone elses computer, I can finish the code for a one click application.

DavidB

Sep 26, 2007
I'll try it if you want....

I've got a Macbook Pro and an 8gb iPhone currently running 1.0.2

should I go ahead and do a normal upgrade to 1.1.1?

Let me know what you want me to do....

DavidB

Sep 26, 2007
OK I upgraded to 1.1.1....then followed your instructions.

I run into a problem at the first Terminal command. The response I get is:

dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.2.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/ssh/./iphuc
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

any ideas?

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
OK, If you go back to just my original instructions... I have corrected them and they worked for DavidB... please try and drop me a note to let me know how it goes.

DavidB

Sep 26, 2007
OK I'll do that. But first I'm reinstalling/restoring 1.1.1 to make sure that I have a good copy...as soon as that's done I'll start this process again. BRB....

pstonge

Oct 3, 2007
I would be more than happy to help the cause out. I have an 8gb iPhone running 1.02. If you want me to test your new app, I would give it a go.

DavidB

Sep 26, 2007
OK that seemed to help BUT...
it looks like I got past the first command (well, actually, now it.s the second command). But then, after pasting the first "mv/Applications........" command, all I get is a little triangle....and now I've the next few commands and I'm still just getting the triangle....and I don't thing anything is really happening.

Here's what it looks like:

ast login: Tue Oct 16 16:15:01 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
david-barnetts-computer:~ davidbarnett$ mkdir /opt && mkdir /opt/local && mkdir /opt/local/lib && cp /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/readline/libreadline.5.2.dylib /opt/local/lib/
mkdir: /opt: File exists
david-barnetts-computer:~ davidbarnett$ cd /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/ && ./iphuc -qs ./getfile

david-barnetts-computer:/Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc davidbarnett$
david-barnetts-computer:/Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc davidbarnett$ mv /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/iPhonefs/rdisk0s1 /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/iPhonefs/rdisk0s1.dmg")
>
> hdiutil attach /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/iPhonefs/rdisk0s1.dmg -mount required
> rm /Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle/private/etc/fstab && cp /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/fstab /Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle/private/etc/
> mkdir /Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle/Applications/Installer.app/ && cp -R /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/Installer.app/* /Volumes/Snowbird3A109a.UserBundle/Applications/Installer.app/
>

I'm sorry if I'm being dense ! but I really think I'm following the instructions correctly. I'm pretty new to the Mac terminal so I am not sure what that triangle means but I don't think it's what I'm supposed to be seeing...

Also, my iPhone hasn't changed at all...it's just sitting there connected with the main icon screen on

Ideas?

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
OK, If you go back to just my original instructions... I have corrected them and they worked for DavidB... please try and drop me a note to let me know how it goes.

DavidB

Sep 26, 2007
Sorry, I think you were responding to my PM. Right as I sent it it finished with the first command. But now I'm stuck at the "triangle prompt" problem...see my last post ...

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Just close the terminal and start over with the original group of commands. Skip the command that reads

mkdir /opt && mkdir /opt/local && mkdir /opt/local/lib && cp /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/readline/libreadline.5.2.dylib /opt/local/lib/

and start again with:

cd /Applications/iJailBreak/resources/iphuc/ && ./iphuc -qs ./getfile

in a new terminal window. You DO NOT need to restore your phone or anything.

DavidB

Sep 26, 2007
Started over.....

got through the 1st one again (that ends with "getfile)

Second command takes me to the ">" prompt again. Is that correct?