Why no search feature on iPhone?

davidlw

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Why no search feature on iPhone? This is one of the most and important features on an phone/computer and the iPhone does not have it. What is the deal and do you think that it will have this feature in the future?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Good question. No idea why. There is a 3rd party app called 'Search' (requires jailbreak) that searches contacts and calendar, and also one called 'Websearch' that lets you enter search terms and choose search engine before launching the browser.

I would imagine there will be more search apps and options once the SDK is released ...

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
no search cause its all there ease .. What do you need to search? at least we have search on the web browser

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
Searching through your music is beneficial when you only remember a certain part of the title/album name/artist, etc and its typically quicker. I swear I saw on the iPod Touch commercials that this feature was available for that particular device. Maybe they were showing the iTunes application though, I don't recall specifically.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
no search cause its all there ease .. What do you need to search? at least we have search on the web browser
Just about everything on the iPhone is easy and intuitive and great to work with.

But ... a powerful search tool that could run from the home screen would still be very nice. To be able to just type 'Brady' (without even adding 'sucks') and have it search contacts, calendar appointments, emails etc. and show me all relevant results would be handy in lots of situations :laugh2:

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Just about everything on the iPhone is easy and intuitive and great to work with.

But ... a powerful search tool that could run from the home screen would still be very nice. To be able to just type 'Brady' (without even adding 'sucks') and have it search contacts, calendar appointments, emails etc. and show me all relevant results would be handy in lots of situations :laugh2:

very true I stand corrected .... well maybe that will be in a future update

davidlw

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
The reason that I want a search is because I have over 800 customers in my contact list and searching by company or name or a particular word in the notes sure would make my life easier.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Email search....

1) Checking into hotel
2) "Yeah, I have a reservation here....my confirmation number is...."

iPhone way:
Flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick....pause....what day did I get that confirmation?.....flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick....oh here it is...no wait, different trip......flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick flick....sigh

Preferred way:
Pulls out Curve which only gets used for email now....Search "Westin"...."My confirmation number is 123456

It may "all be there" but it's useless if you can't find it.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Steve says you don't need it so you don't. =p

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I second the "Search" app recommendation. It lets me type in anything and it (quickly!) searches all of my contacts (about 1400). Better yet it searches not only name info, but anything typed into the Note field of contacts too. So in the above hotel reservation example I could type the name of the hotel to quickly grab the reservation number--either in contacts or calendar.

This is one app I can't do without.

That said it's still not a global search, which fer crying out loud the iPhone should have had from day-one.

--
Mike

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
What's pretty amazing is that if you are a Mac user, you are highly accustomed to the "Spotlight' feature, which is a Mac-wide global search system that works very well. It's innate to Mac OSX users and a signature feature of same. How in the heck Apple iPhone engineers pushed a product out the door without a similar apple-centric feature enabled on the iPhone is beyond me entirely. It's as if they snuck it out the door rather than delivered it to consumers.

Seriously, the absence of a search function is the single biggest "WTH were they thinking" aspect of this phone to my mind.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think c&p trumps search in that regard.

davidlw

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
When iPhone gets 3G and a search feature, I will come back to the iPhone. I have owned 2 of the iPhones and without 3G and Search, I had to go back to BB until such time that iPhone gets these items. Great phone but need Search and 3G for businesss. I know that the AT&T does not have a 3G BB but it does have a good search.