Why no Siri touchscreen icon?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 3, 2010
When I am watching Netflix or YouTube and the such and I want to adjust the volume, I don't have to use the mechanical buttons on the side, I can tap the screen and slide the volume up or down. Why then, isn't there a option in the settings for "display Siri icon" so I can just tap the icon, not hold down the home button? This would make so much sense. My family has had/have 6 iPhones...two have had home button issues. They work, just annoyingly not all the time. The less you use a mechanical button the longer it will last. (I think, lol)...as I said, it should at least be an option. Any thoughts?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I think Apple chose to use the home button so using Siri could be a truly "eyes-free" experience. Activating Siri with a physical button means you can literally grab your iPhone and make a request without even looking at the screen since you can find that button by feel alone. If it were activated through an icon only, you'd have to unlock your iPhone, search for the icon, and then tap on it.

Personally, I would use it far less if it could only be activated through an icon. In fact, I usually activate Siri using the Raise to Speak option (particularly when I'm in public) which I love (even though it may kill battery life).

Also, I think that Apple wanted to provide a consistent user experience with Siri. Since you can rearrange the icons on your home screen, some users might move a Siri icon to a folder or a page they rarely visit, making them "forget" about Siri. I don't think Apple wants anyone to forget about Siri – they would want everyone to have an equal chance to access the feature on any device (from the 4S onward, anyway).

Jul 3, 2010
That's pretty much why I stated "as an option". Still have it function with the home button, but of you want, have the icon. I'm on my phone a ton, so the phone is already in the unlocked mode. When driving, the button works great...don't want to do away with the button, at all. Just as an option have a icon...if the user wants...that's all.

furndaddy

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 16, 2010
Indiana
My family has had/have 6 iPhones...two have had home button issues. They work, just annoyingly not all the time.
Just FYI - I had the same annoying home button issues with my iPhone 4. After making an appt with the genius bar, they replaced my phone - almost no questions asked.

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
You can also activate Siri by holding the phone to your ear as long as you have that option selected in settings, that should save some home button pushing lol

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app