Why No Today Screen?

JazzyJeff

Jun 19, 2009
Just ended 8-years of being an avid Win Mobile user. 3GS was compelling enough to finally dump Windows. I'm loving the phone but really scratching my head as to why Apple didn't make the home screen more like a Today Screen with a summary of everything (upcoming appointments, number of unread e-mails, voicemails, missed calls, weather, etc.) It is really strange as Apple are very good UI designers. I can't think of why they didn't do this except that they didn't want to appear to be copying Microsoft, but a dashboard screen is nothing specific to Microsoft.

From what I understand my only option is to jailbreak the phone and install Intelliscreen. Bizarre. Are their any downsides to jailbreaking?

infamousiphone

Jul 2, 2007
Con: You phone will eventually slow down as apps are installed. I had mine jailbroke for a while and it lag way too much for me.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If you miss the Today Screen that bad, you may want to consider getting another WinMo phone. I've had them and I don't miss the Today Screens. But seriously, with these different phones and OS's, surely there will be things that are not featured on the other and this is just one of them. They can't copy everything that makes them unique or else they'd be... well, the same. The only option for people who miss features they've gotten used to on other phones is to jailbreak it. I say give it some time. Once you are introduced and have become acclimated to all of the features that Apple does and does well, you'll forget you even had a Today Screen! :laugh2:

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I was an avid WinMO user for awhile before coming to my iPhone 3g...I did miss the 'info' that was available on the Today screen but have grown to prefer the iPhone's UI.

One HUGE thing I miss is the support from XDA-Developers. Some of the ROMs I had used were simply awesome.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Con: You phone will eventually slow down as apps are installed. I had mine jailbroke for a while and it lag way too much for me.
I've sworn off of Jailbreak as it slowed down the device way too much. Simple benchmarks for 'old' 3G phone:

Application/seconds standard/seconds jailbroken device
Launch camera/4/8
Launch and 'see' contacts/3/6
Launch and 'see' calendar entries/4/9

Similar results on V1 device.

Some sweet aspects of jb phones, but lags just bother me too much. Was JB until 3.0. No more.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I was a WinMo user for many years as well, but in the last few years of using it it seemed to me that the vast majority of users 'skinned' their phones anyway to drastically alter the Today screen and add functionality. I think many felt that the Today screen did not translate at all well to small-screened devices. Hence the popularity of apps like iLauncher, PocketBreeze, Spb Mobile Shell, and others.

I do also think the iPhone's desktop / home screens concept is growing long in the tooth, and is now a bit too basic and disorganized. I'd love to see apps that do things similar to Intelliscreen be allowed into the App Store.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I use gcal to put my google calendar as my wallpaper. Of course I have to manually open the app, save the picture, and set as wallpaper once a week, but it works for me.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I use gcal to put my google calendar as my wallpaper. Of course I have to manually open the app, save the picture, and set as wallpaper once a week, but it works for me.
Yay for GCalWall - that's developed by my pal Brandon. I like that app too, but it is hamstrung by Apple's restrictions. Something more dynamic, even if it used push rather than true background running, would be much better.

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
As a new 3Gs owner, I miss JB intelliscreen's info on the lockscreen. With a quick glance, one could see if they had mail in the inbox (along with the capability of seeing who sent it and the first few lines), if a SMS had arrived, Yahoo news, local weather and such without having to unlock the iPhone. Were my App launches a bit slower...probably....but now that I have the speedier 3Gs, things will be good. :)