Why Not 802.11 b/g wireless headphones?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Okay. So we know that Apple has not implemented the bluetooth protocols necessary to send stereo and phone signals to wireless headphones.

So why doesn't someone take the already existing, fully working 802.11 b/g wireless system built into the iPhone to stream stereo music to 802.11 b/g enabled headphones? It works for Airport Express.

Plus, it would work for the iPod Touch, which also has 802.11 b/g wireless capabilities.

Help me understand why this is not a good idea.

mike3141

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Because the audio streaming over 802.11b/g only exists in iTunes? There's no equivalent function available on the iPhone.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Good answer.

Now, can't someone write that capability into the iPhone?

Apple: here's an opportunity. Offer streaming music through the iPhone, create a set of wireless 802.11 b/g headphones that work with iTunes (for wearing around the house) as well as iPhone (for wearing elsewhere).

I'd buy them.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Sorry for being ignorant but does anyone manufacture "WIFI" headphones? The idea seems far-fetched, I personally think this is a stupid idea but do you really think people would shell out money for headphones like this? I don't.

First, you would need to provide power for the headphones....wifi consumes ALOT of power. The size of the headphones wouldn't be anywhere close to the compact size of traditional earbuds.

Second, streaming music over wifi would drain iPhone battery very fast. The idea just seems so dumb to me. Is it that difficult to use traditional headphones? As was already mentioned there is no support for this in iPhone and I doubt Apple has even thought about adding it.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Maybe it is a dumb idea.

However, people pay $120 for bluetooth headphones (and then have to add a $50 bluetooth adapter to the iPhone to use them). The Airport Express costs $99 (to stream music to your stereo). Other lower-frequency wireless headphones sell for $50 to $100.

Regarding size - Apple somehow managed to squeeze wifi into the iPhone, so it seems that they could do the same for a set of headphones. And, as I mentioned, it could work on the iPod Touch as well as the iPhone.

The power draw may be the main reason it isn't a good idea, but the iPhone seems to do okay with internet over wifi, so it seems that it would work with music.

I see it as a possible work-around to the bluetooth conundrum - the fact that bluetooth only supports mono-headsets at this time.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I am not aware of this please elaborate...
Allow me to elaborate:

Motorola S9 (with "dongle")

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/motorola-s9-earphones-with-d650-adapter.8682/
Cerulean Headsets (and adapter)
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/cerulean-bt-transmitter.5659/

Also, the iMuffs are supposed to work (with a bluetooth adapter). My local Apple store actually has a couple of these in stock.
http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/24/imuffs-bluetooth-headset-for-ipod-and-cellphone/

That's a start.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I've kind of wondered this myself, but it really come down to battery. You could listen to music like that on your iPhone for maybe 3 or 4 hours compared to wearing wired headphone that would allow you listen for like 24 hours or something like that.

Honestly I think iPhones have spectacular batteries considering what they do, wifi, very backlight screen playing movies and what not, but then think of the headphones. They'd have to have ridiculous batteries in them as well which would mean big bulky headphones.

Anyone that has used bluetooth headphones knows there are little quirks. It is never PERFECTLY clear, at least every so often you'll get a pop or find out you can't have your device to far away. Personally when I would bike with mine and go down a hill it would get all messed up. Wifi would be neat because it could definitely but perfectly clear, but that battery issue is just too much... maybe someday.