Why not get an iPad mini instead of a 5.5-inch iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by kenwolf, May 9, 2014.

1. kenwolf

kenwolf New Member

Ok there might be 2 new iPhones, what doesn't make sense is the 5.5, to be release after the 4.7, why not just get an iPad Mini, what am I missing?

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The iPad has no phone. No calling or SMS texting.

3. kenwolf

kenwolf New Member

So that would be easy to fix.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The iPad mini is 7.87" and 0.68 pounds. A 5.5" iPhone would be more than 2" less that that and lighter weight. That may not seem like that much to you, but even fractions of an inch make a big difference in mobile technology. The people who are interested in this size range want a large iPhone, not a small tablet. Additionally, an iPad is not a cell phone.

5. kenwolf

kenwolf New Member

Very clear, thanks. What's a 5.5 smartphone out there now? I'm trying to imagine it.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

@kenwolf I've updated your thread with a new title. As a reminder, we ask members to follow our forum guidelines for improving the overall quality of our community. Specifically, we ask that thread titles are specific to the topic and not 'general' titles that duplicate forum categories. Thanks for your help in making the site a better overall experience for our community.

As for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, I do think it's going to be a beast, but it will be sized to where you can use it as a phone. The iPad mini, even with cellular, lacks phone apps. Sure you could use workarounds, but it would be costly and there are no plans to use it as a phone.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Here's a Galaxy Note II (which has a 5.5-inch display) compared to a iPhone 5.

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-II-vs-iPhone-5-54.jpg

8. kenwolf

kenwolf New Member

Wow, that's big, wouldn't fit in your jeans, thanks so much.

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I had the opportunity to use the Galaxy Note II when it first came out. It was entirely too big for me. A phone needs to be easy to grab and go. I leave my house, grab my phone, throw it on my front car seat. Run into a store, grab my phone. When it's that big, you almost want to leave it. Plus, talking on it, I felt a little foolish.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The LG G Flex smartphone with a 6" screen. I've held it, and it's pretty uncomfortable to hold.

image.jpg

11. iGadgetLady

iGadgetLady Guest

I agree Kenwolf, although I can't wait for the 4.7 inch iPhone 6. I think it's been a long time coming and Apple is gonna get back some of their lost marketshare!

12. iGadgetLady

iGadgetLady Guest

You're right, that 5.5 inch screen is entirely too big for my taste as well.

13. RyansTitan05

RyansTitan05 Contributor
    Bronze

Not a fan at all for the larger phones!

14. yukhalilsel

yukhalilsel New Member

You're missing the call option.. You can't make phone calls with an iPad

15. iGadgetLady

iGadgetLady Guest

good point yukhalilsel, however a 5.5 inch screen on a phone is huge! I think the 4.7 inch screen will be a great size.

16. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I'm looking forward to the 4.7" screen iPhone 6. A little bigger is absolutely perfect. If they come out with a 5.5" I'm sure I won't be interested in it.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's fine. Leave the 5.5" for me.

If the 5.5" iPhone 6 fails to materialize, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the 4.7" model.

18. IG0BL1N

IG0BL1N New Member

Yes I agree and a light iPhone and
    Thinner will be great

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

19. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

You can have it Naps! LOL! I'm sure a lot of folks will LOVE to have the 5.5", just not me.....

...unless....it has features that the 4.7" just doesn't have and will never have. If the 4.7" is the 5C of the next iPhone iteration then I might just have to go with the 5.5". LOL!

I tell you, I'm glad these are rumors. I can't wait until the conference so we can know what they are coming out with. The rumors are maddening!

#19 Sharunda, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Why would thinner be great? Is the current iPhone 5s not thin enough?