Why not get an iPad mini instead of a 5.5-inch iPhone 6?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kenwolf

Jun 11, 2010
Ok there might be 2 new iPhones, what doesn't make sense is the 5.5, to be release after the 4.7, why not just get an iPad Mini, what am I missing?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The iPad mini is 7.87" and 0.68 pounds. A 5.5" iPhone would be more than 2" less that that and lighter weight. That may not seem like that much to you, but even fractions of an inch make a big difference in mobile technology. The people who are interested in this size range want a large iPhone, not a small tablet. Additionally, an iPad is not a cell phone.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
@kenwolf I've updated your thread with a new title. As a reminder, we ask members to follow our forum guidelines for improving the overall quality of our community. Specifically, we ask that thread titles are specific to the topic and not 'general' titles that duplicate forum categories. Thanks for your help in making the site a better overall experience for our community.

As for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, I do think it's going to be a beast, but it will be sized to where you can use it as a phone. The iPad mini, even with cellular, lacks phone apps. Sure you could use workarounds, but it would be costly and there are no plans to use it as a phone.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Wow, that's big, wouldn't fit in your jeans, thanks so much.
I had the opportunity to use the Galaxy Note II when it first came out. It was entirely too big for me. A phone needs to be easy to grab and go. I leave my house, grab my phone, throw it on my front car seat. Run into a store, grab my phone. When it's that big, you almost want to leave it. Plus, talking on it, I felt a little foolish.

I

iGadgetLady

Ok there might be 2 new iPhones, what doesn't make sense is the 5.5, to be release after the 4.7, why not just get an iPad Mini, what am I missing?
I agree Kenwolf, although I can't wait for the 4.7 inch iPhone 6. I think it's been a long time coming and Apple is gonna get back some of their lost marketshare!

I

iGadgetLady

I had the opportunity to use the Galaxy Note II when it first came out. It was entirely too big for me. A phone needs to be easy to grab and go. I leave my house, grab my phone, throw it on my front car seat. Run into a store, grab my phone. When it's that big, you almost want to leave it. Plus, talking on it, I felt a little foolish.
You're right, that 5.5 inch screen is entirely too big for my taste as well.

I

iGadgetLady

good point yukhalilsel, however a 5.5 inch screen on a phone is huge! I think the 4.7 inch screen will be a great size.

The iPad mini is 7.87" and 0.68 pounds. A 5.5" iPhone would be more than 2" less that that and lighter weight. That may not seem like that much to you, but even fractions of an inch make a big difference in mobile technology. The people who are interested in this size range want a large iPhone, not a small tablet. Additionally, an iPad is not a cell phone.
Yes I agree and a light iPhone and
Thinner will be great

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
That's fine. Leave the 5.5" for me.

If the 5.5" iPhone 6 fails to materialize, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the 4.7" model.
You can have it Naps! LOL! I'm sure a lot of folks will LOVE to have the 5.5", just not me.....

...unless....it has features that the 4.7" just doesn't have and will never have. If the 4.7" is the 5C of the next iPhone iteration then I might just have to go with the 5.5". LOL!

I tell you, I'm glad these are rumors. I can't wait until the conference so we can know what they are coming out with. The rumors are maddening!

Last edited: