Why not only Touch ID instead of passcode ?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by rugved1118, Oct 7, 2014.

1. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Can I have only a fingerprint recognition to unlock my iPhone or purchase apps instead of passcode? If anyone knows my passcode then he can unlock it. I don't want him unlock even though he know my passcode. Only my registered finger should have access to unlock. Can such thing happen?

Sent from my iPhone 5S

#1 rugved1118, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You need either the Apple ID password or the fingerprint. For security purposes, don't provide you password to anyone who shouldn't be making purchases with your account.

3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

If the fingerprint scanner fails, how else would you get into your phone?

4. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Why not change your 4 digit phone password to something no one else knows? You can't set up Touch ID without a phone password.

5. TudorJ

TudorJ New Member

It's bad to use only a 4 digit passcode. I've set mine as 8 digits.

6. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I've heard that there is a technicality with respect to law enforcement. You cannot be compelled (by The Authorities) to speak, such as say/give them your passcode but you could be compelled to use your print to grant access to your phone's contents.
    YMMV

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Fingerprint ID is only as secure as its least common demoninator, which, unfortunately, still happens to be a 4-digit number ("a simple password") or something longer ("Turn off Simple Passcode to set a passcode longer than four digits. Longer passcodes can include letters and symbols as well as numbers." [Source]).

What it all boils down to, in my humble opinion, is that Apple is insecure enough about its Touch ID (fingerprint) security that they feel it is necessary to have a passcode to fall back to.

"What if Touch ID fails?" Well, if Apple was confident enough in its Touch ID technology, it/they wouldn't have required a fallback. But that's just my opinion. I welcome and am happy to listen to all opinions to the contrary.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Really? Apple is insecure? Were you ever in the military? Redundant security measures?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Disagreed. Sometimes the fingerprint scanner doesn't work well if your hands are damp, oily, etc. The passcode works great in these situations. You also might have a partner whose prints aren't scanned in but have been given your passcode. But the most important reason that you need a fallback is that you might cut the finger or fingers that are scanned in. If that print no longer works and you didn't have a passcode to fall back on, you wouldn't be able to get into your phone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I feel Apple doesn't have enough confidence in its Touch ID technology, and this is why they make having a password on their iDevices is a prerequisite to enabling Touch ID.

However, in other aspects, I feel Apple is super-duper secure. To wit, a day or two ago I realized that on both my iMac and my iPhone, iCloud Keychain had been set to OFF. I don't know how they got this way. I've always trusted Apple Keychain to manage my passwords and I wouldn't have intentionally turned them off. Long story short, they were both set to off, and I have no idea how they got this way, but I went ahead and set keychain on on my iPhone (Settings > iCloud > iCloud Keychain > ON) and I can tell you that the ensuing sequelae on my iMac and on my iPhone (I was prompted multiple times on both devices to enter passcodes) were so air-tight secure that I am thoroughly satisfied that my all my stuff on iCloud is quite secure.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Okay.

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Bottom line, I have to agree. I often have chapped/dry fingertips due to my psoriasis, and, even though I've taken measures to counteract these circumstances (i.e. multiple fingers scanned multiple times), there will inevitably be that one time where all my scanned fingerprints will be sub-par enough as to prevent a successful fingeprint scan, and a passcode will, for all intents and pursposes, save my life.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm glad you thought this through. :D

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You are such an a---hole. :)

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Now, now - skirting our filters isn't nice.

And you're right.

18. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

What if you're glass is broken and you cut you're thumb and now the touch won't recognize the print cause of the cut or maybe a band aid placed?

19. Rgn

Rgn Contributor
    Bronze

doing a background check for foster care I've had to get my fingerprints done. LOL the person doing it was getting frustrated. ie they had to match certain points and I mess with candles and I smoke therefore some of the groves in a fingerprint was not recorded. The person was squeezing my finger each and every time a point didn't show up.