Why pay for texting?

chris82

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
texting is not cheap but why pay for it if you have a data plan? I don't get why you would need a data plan + texting.

Why not use AIM, Yahoo messenger etc to text? I can understand if your phone can't have thouse services.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
texting is not cheap but why pay for it if you have a data plan? I don't get why you would need a data plan + texting.

Why not use AIM, Yahoo messenger etc to text? I can understand if your phone can't have thouse services.
Or if the people you communicate with can't use those said apps.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
In a perfect world where everyone had a smartphone, that would work well. We also wouldn't need MMS.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I avoid texting as much as possible. The more people I know that get smartphones (iPhones mostly), the less texting I have to do in my life.

AIM with push is a great alternative if you're going to start a conversation via text as you can AIM to SMS. Can save you quite a few.

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
i am not a big texter but i text more than calls since its just easier.

some apps like textfree unlimited try to do their best but i am sure if a app would actually show sender number it wouldn't end up in app store maybe cydia...

i know a lot of ma friends would get confused if they see its not from me but my name on it... ( yes i have some really slow friends )

chris82

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
I have a iPhone using OS 3.0 and wife has a black berry what app can we use to chat? I have Yahoo messenger on my iPhone but it does not tell me when i get a message so its not any good. I think AIM will notify you without checking but will it do the same on the blackberry?

Thanks

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
AIM can send messages to a cell phone, I used to do it all the time when I was on my PC at school instead of getting my phone out of my pocket.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
I think unlimited textign should be included with the 30 dollars data plan...

mike546

Jul 3, 2009
Do incoming text count towards you monthly usage or are you only charged for text you send?

LornaP

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
Michigan
Yes, you get charged for incoming and outgoing texts if you are doing it pay per text. My husband does not text, but he gets sent texts once in a while and they are charged 20c each on our bill :D, he still does not get enough to warrent a plan ($5 for 200).