Why should I move from a Treo 700w to iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 3, 2007
I am the owner of a Treo 700W. I held an iPhone for the first time on Saturday, and am very desirous of an iPhone. However, I need some good reasons so that my wife will not personally attack me for incurring a $175.00 termination charge on Verizon when I cancel my Treo service. Can anyone give me some good reasons to switch from my Treo to the iPhone? Both hardware, software and practical reasons are requested. I should say I am in a rural area (northeastern Tennessee) and am somewhat concerned as to how good the service is here (no one that I know has an iPhone to ask). Anyone want to try to convert me?

Aug 28, 2007
heres what my friend did to avoid the termination fee:

HE SCREAMED THE SH*T OUTTA THEMM TILL THE LADY GOT PISS SCARED AND LET HIM CANCEL FOR FREE :)

:p

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
2 things:

1) What does your wife like? What does your wife want? What does your wife need done around the house?

What ever it is, do it! Do not, and I mean DO NOT mention iPhone around her whilst tending to her every need.

2) Take wife out to dinner, visit local Apple/att store (Apple preferably, clean cut looking store), place, what some would call 'jesus phone' in her hands.

Once she has seen the light, offer to buy one not only for yourself, but your sweetheart too!

Good luck my friend!

Or just tell her $175 bucks isn't much, you know this one guy on the internet >looks around nervously< that wants to spend $400 bucks to get his family off tmobile for this phone! Now THAT'S crazy! *wink*

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
You could always just buy one, while keeping your other phone until the contract is up, just to play with it. Or you could see about unlocking the phone to use on another network, which I know nothing about. I don't think that the iPhone is going anywhere soon, it will still be around when that contract is up. You never know, a different model phone from Apple might come out that would spark your interest.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
You could always just buy one, while keeping your other phone until the contract is up, just to play with it. Or you could see about unlocking the phone to use on another network, which I know nothing about. I don't think that the iPhone is going anywhere soon, it will still be around when that contract is up. You never know, a different model phone from Apple might come out that would spark your interest.
hes right i actually like another phone now too... but it useless till u activated it unless u can unlock if u cant all u can do is mess around with the slide and unlock and just dial emergency numbers

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
heres what my friend did to avoid the termination fee:

HE SCREAMED THE SH*T OUTTA THEMM TILL THE LADY GOT PISS SCARED AND LET HIM CANCEL FOR FREE :)

:p
LoL, he stole one of my many plots to overthrow my term fees! =D

That's funny, poor gal, hehe.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Before you jump, I would check to see if you have any friends with AT&T service in your area and ask them how the signal coverage in your area is BEFORE you decide to change. I'd hate to hear another horror story of someone changing service in a bad area.. hehe.
But personally, I would see if the features of a iPhone is something that would be usefull to you. The forums on here are a great for knowledge and what not. But I would consider the iPhone more of a entertainment device than a businesss device. I personally Love my iPhone, but it fits what I do for a living ( traveling, keeping in touch with the world, and great entertainment while being stuck on a flight ).
So I would really suggest taking your time and doing some research before spending a lot of money canceling your contract, buying a new phone cost 500-600 and a possible deposit.
Me personally the Map application is the BEST feature for me, center the map of where you are, search for businessses, entertainment, and places to eat in a strange area and it shows you where everything is, no need to study the maps provided by hotels and whatnot.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
If you do cancel your verizon account and jump onto AT&T, DON'T make the iPhone the phone you use to sign up with AT&T. You'll be wasting a perfectly good phone discount. We get zero discounts for buying the iPhone with a new contract. You will pay $500/$600 no matter what. So get one of the discounted/free "cheapo" non-iphone phones, unlock it (if you can), and then sell it on Ebay. You could make up the ETF by doing that.

THEN buy they iPhone separately and have them connect you.

If you are able to unlock the iPhone (very few people have done it yet), it may work on T-Mobile, but it will never ever ever work on Verizon. Different technology.

JACathcart

Jul 6, 2007
Former Verizon 700W user here

Hey Tim,

First, you don't need to necessarily cancel your Verizon account if you're willing to get a new number.

My wife loves Verizon and didn't want the family to switch over. So, I reduced our Verizon family plan to just what she needs and chose the minimum plan from AT&T (which is all I need). It worked out to be the same amount of money combined as our previous Verizon family plan.

Before you make the switch however, ask yourself what you like best about your Treo 700W. If you primarily want a phone/internet/multimedia device, the iPhone is the way to go. But...

If you use your Treo primarily as a PDA and planning tool, the iPhone falls way short. Here's why (in no particular order)...

1. No Task List
2. No sync-able notes
3. No voice-dialing or recording
4. No cut & paste feature (which is HUGE in my opinion. I hate not being able to copy text from an email into a task or appointment)
5. No ability to add third-party apps. You have to use web-based apps, which is useless when out of phone coverage areas (like on an airplane).
6. Email is quirky and isn't nearly as reliable as MS Mobile or Blackberry (just do a search on this forum for "gmail" or "can receive, but not send emails")

I know that some people had bad experiences with their Treos, but I had the 700W fine-tuned and working like a dream. It was a great all-purpose device.

Am I sorry I got the iPhone? No, because I use it only as a phone/email/internet/iPod device (and the internet and iPod aspects blow the Treo away). My Palm PDA is my planning tool. But, if Apple ever gets serious about creating a businesss tool, and adds the features mentioned above, it will be nice to go back to using only one toy.