Why The iPhone 3G S May Be A Sucker’s Bet

JimMayor007

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Upgrading to the 3GS from the 3G can cost you almost $400 dollars. At&T will not subsidized it like it did last year. AT&T does things like delay the roll out of features that the rest of the world is getting because they have other providers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Woody1776

Bronze
Feb 26, 2008
DFW
You know....We've already been through this. The reason that AT&T are not subsidizing the 3GS if you have a 3G is because you signed a 2 year agreement to get the subsidized price. They have to make their money back over the 2 year period. If you signed the contract you should honor it and not ***** when AT&T dosen't give you a handout.

budjev

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Noblesville, IN
If you're that hard pressed to upgrade your 3G to the 3GS then buy the 3GS for $399 and sell your old 3G on ebay. Unlock and Jailbreak it and you will get between $300 and $400, atleast thats what they are going for right now.

I was able to upgrade to the 3GS from my 2G and unlocked and jailbroke the 2G and sold it on ebay for $250. So yup i made a profit of $37 by upgrading not a bad deal huh..... :D Of course if i could have handled the slowness of the 2G any longer i would have kept it and sold the 3GS on ebay for $600 and made a profit of $400... :/ to many decision just for the speed of the 3GS! But all is done now the 2G is gone and im extremely happy with the 3GS so far.

bubbatex

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Not sure why this is even relevant on July 6. Maybe on June 18 or 19.

And "sucker's bet"? You could say that about 1/2 of the iPhone owners at any given time if you wanted to, right? (I include myself in that category - had a perfectly good phone and plan on Sprint and now I have talked myself into paying more per month for an iPhone)

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I bought and sold and my netcost was $180. I've been selling and buying phones for a while and this is the first time I took money out of my pocket. My sells cover my purchases...

Sold old phones to buy the v1
Then sold the V1 and covered the 3G
Then sold the 3G and added a few bucks for the 3GS.

Having Jailbroken the phones probably helped the resale (I suspect).

BTW...I am not whining...I was happy to take a few bucks out of my pocket to upgrade...Do wish Apple was more forthcoming about new phones. My 3G was only 4 months old.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
*sigh* must people always beat dead horses? Besides even at 400 I'd consider the 3GS a steal after paying what I did for my v1 8gb on iDay1. Also remember those phones weren't subsidized while the 3g is. It works the way every other phone in AT&T or any other carriers selection does now. People need to stop whining about it. And if they wanna upgrade early learn how to sell the used one and basically get the phone at subsidized cost with proceeds from your sold device put towards the new one.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Sure looks like blogspam to me. I'll check it out later after work...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Upgrading to the 3GS from the 3G can cost you almost $400 dollars. At&T will not subsidized it like it did last year. AT&T does things like delay the roll out of features that the rest of the world is getting because they have other providers.
This horse was beaten to death a couple weeks ago, thanks for digging up its stinking corpse and dragging it in here ;)

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Somehow I thought there would be new news about this topic but I was wrong. People deal with it. I for one didn't upgrade from my 3G to 3GS cause of the price and upgrades. Everyone has to come to the decision. There is nothing new here.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
They did not back down, they widened the window of eligible devices. A wise and fair move on their part.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
@ The OP,
If you have to make a big fuss about cost. You can't afford it. I'm sure AT&T has some low grade flip phone that they would be happy to subsidize for you (maybe even give it to you free). And if that doesn't work for you there are still a few payphones around. :eek: Mark

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
@ The OP,
If you have to make a big fuss about cost. You can't afford it. I'm sure AT&T has some low grade flip phone that they would be happy to subsidize for you (maybe even give it to you free). And if that doesn't work for you there are still a few payphones around. :eek: Mark

LMAO, great post Mark.

Remember 'there is no horse so dead it can't be beat some more'. I don't recall the author.:cool:

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
@ The OP,
OOhhh, pwned by the Markster!

Ballerstat

Jul 15, 2007

you are such a baby. Im sorry you have to pay any money at all for the phone. You are right, even though you agreed to the two years in a contract, you should get it subsidized. You sound like a Dem. Obama should just buy you one. We all deserve handouts.

No one is making you buy it from Att either. go directly to Apple and buy the phone. You can then unlock it and use it on T-Mobile.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
you are such a baby. Im sorry you have to pay any money at all for the phone. You are right, even though you agreed to the two years in a contract, you should get it subsidized. You sound like a Dem. Obama should just buy you one. We all deserve handouts.

No one is making you buy it from Att either. go directly to Apple and buy the phone. You can then unlock it and use it on T-Mobile.
FYI, talking about politics is a very good way to get banned. Just leave the president out of it please.

But I do agree that people expect AT&T to give them handouts. They usually don't understand that the actual cost of the phone is much higher than the subsidized cost and that AT&T hasn't yet recouped their loss on their last subsidized phone and yada yada yada. Damn this dead horse reeks ;)

Ballerstat

Jul 15, 2007
Im sorry that we have raised a nation of beggars that feel the government owes them everything. I didn't mean to offend you.

I am just trying to get my point across that a businesss is a way to make money. It sounds like he is looking for what we call a charity. I heard the president is using some of my tax money to give people that don't feel like working cell phones. you could get one of those.