Why the same stock icons on iPhone 3GS as original model?

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
It puzzles me that Apple will put in this many new stuff, at least from the point of view of an iPhone classic owner, into the 3gS but still retain those ubiquitous but tired stock icons. The biggest reason people jailbreak their phone is for the ability to customize Springboard. I don't want to jailbreak my 3gS iPhone if I can help it, but there's just isn't much about it that physically or visually tells it apart from the 3g or Classic iPhone. The form factor is still a winner, but those stock icons need changing. Anyone else think or hope that new or customizable Springboard will be the next "mini-upgrade" for the 3gS?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I wish it was available on stock phones, but I doubt they will allow it any time soon.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Actually, I've grown to really like the stock look. I used to hate it - my phone is still jailbroken (I only need that for SBSettings, as my home button does not work), but I don't use themes anymore. I used to always have a theme; I couldn't stand the stock look. But once I decided that my next iPhone would never be jailbroken, I went back to the stock look, and now I can't use themes.

Disclaimer: I hate AppStore icons. There are a select few - like Things and Classics - that have superb icons - but other than that, almost all AppStore app icons suck. Big time.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
The people that want to and do change their icons are a very small part of the community. Plus, Apple likes to keeps things their way to ensure their experience is what you enjoy. :)

Joe

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Oh really? Well, the numbers do not bear out your position. Except for big event-driven logins, the section of the forum that gets the most consistent hits or browsing is Modification. Granted, not everyone of them has or will take the plunge, but the desire is undeniably strong and rampant. Personally, I have yet to meet an iPhone owner who, after seeing what I have and can do on mine, didn't want to jailbreak too. The good thing though is with what's on the 3gs, I have little or no reason to jailbreak again. I'll learn to live with the stock icons or move them around.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I plan on going back to stock once 3.0 comes along. Fresh start on a new laptop!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've been stock for so long now I forget how nice it was to have themes. While I would welcome them in stock form, I don't really miss them that much so jailbreaking to get them isn't worth it to me. Took up way too much of my time tweaking them to my liking anway. I'd rather just use the phone.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I've been stock for so long now I forget how nice it was to have themes. While I would welcome them in stock form, I don't really miss them that much so jailbreaking to get them isn't worth it to me. Took up way too much of my time tweaking them to my liking anway. I'd rather just use the phone.
Same, same, and same. I spent a bunch of time using my own theme and constantly refining it. It was fun at the time (especially showing it off to the iPhone noobs) but I'm kinda over it now. There are more important things that need upgrades before themes.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'll never go so far as to say I "love" the stock look, but it doesn't bother me enough to jailbreak. Especially while jailbreaking continues to cause lag. Priorities.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Actually, I've grown to really like the stock look. I used to hate it - my phone is still jailbroken (I only need that for SBSettings, as my home button does not work), but I don't use themes anymore. I used to always have a theme; I couldn't stand the stock look. But once I decided that my next iPhone would never be jailbroken, I went back to the stock look, and now I can't use themes.
i feel the exact same way.

it was a great way to get to know the OS... what with the tinkering in SSH needed to do it, but i slowly just stopped caring.

what needs to happen before theming, imo, is the ability to have more control over where you can put things. The "grid" needs to go in favor of an app launcher or some other easy way to manage apps, files, etc. I hate just having all my stuff thrown on a screen (regardless of how many pages there are). I haven't used it ob the iPhone yet, but i imagine spotlight might be able to fulfill this role eventually.

atran4321

May 21, 2009
A choice of different app launchers would be nice. If i could have weather, stocks, recent texts with live data on the home screen and then some type of scrolling launcher in the middle that would be cool.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I used to change my theme every couple of days because i found an icon that looked a little bit better, or a dock that was a bit more reflective. Then I went back to stock and thought, hmmm, this actually isn't that bad. Not worth the lag of JB'ing just for that. Id only jailbreak a 3g now to get Cycorder, but as i have just pre ordered my 3GS theres no need! :)

johnlt

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
The new GS does look tempting, but after doing a JB i have a lot of the new features i really need. SMS LS, Quick search, and a few others. My biggest reason for the JB is to put all the icons i need and use on a daily basis(30) on my first SB and i hide all the others via POOF.I can do a search for the ones i don't need and launch them like i would on my laptop.
All the graphics i don't care for, i only use apps from cydia that make my phone user frendly. I think if the GS gave u some of these features i would go for it. But when they JB 3.0 ill buy one. Not sure if im in the minority here but i feel the less Cydia based apps the i have the less lag i endure.
I am disappointed that the GS lacks HIDEF:(Display.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Oh really? Well, the numbers do not bear out your position. Except for big event-driven logins, the section of the forum that gets the most consistent hits or browsing is Modification.

Perhaps, but I would imagine that the majority of iPhone owners have never visited a forum at all.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Stock, themes, I don't care.

The only thing I DO WANT is to be able to toggle and turn-off certain pre-loaded icons such as Weather, Stocks, iTunes, Contacts. Never, ever, EVER use those. I prefer Weather Channel & eTrade and those just take up unnecessary space.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
The main reason my V1 is jailbroken is because the wimpy stock SMS alerts don't get my attention. I use SMS as my pager for work (I support monster storage systems for a living). I have to be available 24x7x365.25, and the pager is a critical aspect of my availability. I use WinSCP to replace the "horn" sound with a 4-repeat "red alert" sound from Star Trek TOS. This wakes me from a sound sleep when it goes off. :cool: