Why the unlocking of a phone is good(besides the obivious reasons)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
So now that you can unlock the phone, I suspect ATT and Apple to try and patch the hack. But people must actually download the patch in a update in order for it to have a effect.

People who have their phones unlocked are not going to download the update if it is just like the last two updates that add zero new features to the phone. In order to get people to update they are going to have to include significant new features (iChat,Flash, and so on) to the phone. Just a theory, but I think a good one.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
And my theory is that there will be major updates in the future. Sooooo, if you are satisifed to never be able to add any new updates to your phone (and hate AT&T that much) go right ahead and unlock it.

As for me and my house, we will follow Apple and AT&T.

O

outdoor2extrm

genius

All i have to say is that 17 year old kid from New Jersey is a genius! congrats man.

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
So now that you can unlock the phone, I suspect ATT and Apple to try and patch the hack. But people must actually download the patch in a update in order for it to have a effect.

People who have their phones unlocked are not going to download the update if it is just like the last two updates that add zero new features to the phone. In order to get people to update they are going to have to include significant new features (iChat,Flash, and so on) to the phone. Just a theory, but I think a good one.
I'm not trying to bust your chops OP but your title was "Why unlocking of a phone is good (besides the obvious reasons)" and you failed to give any reasons, obvious or not, and I'm not sure of what the obvious reasons would be. Could you please elaborate.

I do agree with some things that have been said. I do think that new features will be introduced that you can only get by syncing the phone, in addition, I would guess that something like Visual Voicemail does not work on one of these unlocked phones. That alone would make me go the conventional route.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
They'll just crack the updates. People who've unlocked will just have to wait a little longer.
Maybe, probably, but then Apple will just go the next step.

It just seems like a WHOLE lot of trouble to me just to avoid a 2 year contract with AT&T.

Others think differently I guess.

pcar993

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I like your strategic mind! the concept that Apple would offer upgrades with significant functionality to continue to encourage users to a) update and b) use AT&T.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I'd like to think that to be the case, but i suspect it won't be. Apple stands to make more $$$ by having an unlocked iPhones out there. Not only do they make the $$$ on selling the product, but they don't have to offer support for a cracked iPhone. And i for one would wish that they release new versions and hopefully even charge for some of them (i.e. i'll pay $25 for voice dialing...)

I would hope that AT&T would unlock our iPhone for us once the novelty wears off. I want to use alternate sim cards when i travel abroad and that is a legitimate use! I don't hate AT&T nor do i need to switch to tmobile - just give me legit other uses!

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I just don't think that Apple got where they are today by "breaking contracts" with their partners, or by encouraging dishonest (and possibly illegal) use of their products. I couldn't know for sure but I suspect that they are not happy with all of these efforts to hack, mod, and unlock their "invention".

This isn't like every other phone that's been released. It's revolutionizing the industry and AT&T has every right to be the provider that benefits from it since they were the ones willing to sign the contract with Apple (at some risk I would suppose)

I'll agree with your "complaint" regarding international travel. AT&T could have a better data plan for those circumstances, and maybe they will one day (hey we FINALLY got an unlimited text messaging plan!) but I suspect that international traveling overall is a small percentage of their subscribers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Either way you look at it, I seriously doubt Apple is to worried about people hacking the phone. Either way Apple got their money from it and the only thing they would be missing out from is the money that would be getting from AT&T for people using the iPhone on their network. But in the same instance people that are buying a iPhone to hack it are just creating a Novilty item. Like the old nokia phones in the past. Alot of the Old nokia phones were so favored because people could hack and modify them. So Apple would get their money one way or another if you really look at it. Hopefully, Apple will just make the Updates Only available to those who are on the AT&T network and offere better applications in the patches in the future. Cant be that hard, just build a Serial number database provided by AT&T of every valid iPhone.
Im sure someone will find a way to get the patch off a phone then into a hacked phone, but you do have to admit it really would be a pain in the ass to do it.

But thats my thought on it all :laugh2: