Why unlock your iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hi-Phone

Jul 5, 2007
Ok well i've done my research on unlocking iPhones and i come to the point where i notice "why do it at all"? First off i went and got my girlfriend an iPhone from the $220 refund that i got from APPLE for purchasing the 8GB. So anyways, I got a second iPHONE and i wanted to unlock it for her so she can avoid the $20 extra monthly fee. It turns out that its really POINTLESS to unlock your iPHONE. Once you get it unlocked, yeah you can use it hook up to iTunes and such but if you want to upgrade your firmware it will reset the software thus restarting your whole phone again and having it to get unlocked. Now why go through that? Pointless don't you think?

eugarps

Jul 10, 2007
Hi,

This is coming from a guy who used to buy only unlocked phones and I still carry an unlocked Treo 650. I have my service with AT&T and plan on keeping it for a while. I used to buy local pre-paid SIM cards, when traveling overseas but I don't even both with that any more.

The math worked out for me that I was investing more money in having and unlocked phone than I was saving in phone time. I just use AT&T and have signed up for International Roaming. I pay slightly more per minute but don't make that many calls. My last trip to Southeast Asia, resulted in a $30.00 increase in my bill for one month and I was there for three weeks and checking and responding emails twice a day plus a twice weeky call home. The AT&T reception in China was exceptional!

YMMV,

Bill

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Ok well i've done my research on unlocking iPhones and i come to the point where i notice "why do it at all"? First off i went and got my girlfriend an iPhone from the $220 refund that i got from APPLE for purchasing the 8GB. So anyways, I got a second iPHONE and i wanted to unlock it for her so she can avoid the $20 extra monthly fee. It turns out that its really POINTLESS to unlock your iPHONE. Once you get it unlocked, yeah you can use it hook up to iTunes and such but if you want to upgrade your firmware it will reset the software thus restarting your whole phone again and having it to get unlocked. Now why go through that? Pointless don't you think?
Umm, I don't think what you're describing is "Unlocking", it's bypassing the activation lock.

Unlocking allows you to use the iPhone, as a phone, on a different carrier (such as Tmobile). The main reason for this is for overseas use, so you're not forced to use ATT's overseas roaming rates.

Sep 6, 2010
I am curious about the benefits of unlocking and jailbreaking. Please enlighten me.
My reason, in a nutshell: "It removes Apples restrictions, and allows the user to download third party apps. Unlocking the phone, lets the person use their iPhone with any other carrier that uses SIM cards...... There may be other reasons as well, but this is why, I jailbreak and unlock my iPhones"

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Unlocking allows you to use T-Mobile. Jailbreaking allows you to apply custom themes and change the way your phone looks as well as add cool tweaks and apps that let you do thing that Apple doesn't allow. For example, full-feature text messaging, better backgrounding, enhancing stock apps like YouTube and Safari so you can save videos, free tethering to your laptop/iPad, Face Time on 3G, add links for Navigon and Tom Tom in the stock maps app, put live weather and other information on the lockscreen, and quickly access settings toggles, just to name a few.