Why use a screen cover?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

BradG

Aug 13, 2007
NYC
So tell me again why I just paid $10 to protect glass with a piece of plastic? Considering hardness, shouldn't it be the other way around?
:confused:

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
So tell me again why I just paid $10 to protect glass with a piece of plastic? Considering hardness, shouldn't it be the other way around?
:confused:

I tried the crystal film that is sold at Apple stores just to see how it looked/felt and the first one I put on had bubbles so I tried to take it off and reapply it but it was damaged when it finally came off. I tried to put the second protector on with the same problem.....

BTW, the Apple store by me doesn't sell them anymore...

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
you don't need one, the screen doesn't scratch its glass, your screen protector wont protect your screen from cracking or anything so it wont do anything besides look ugly,tone down the colors and the touch sensitivity on your screen.

BradG

Aug 13, 2007
NYC
you don't need one, the screen doesn't scratch its glass, your screen protector wont protect your screen from cracking or anything so it wont do anything besides look ugly,tone down the colors and the touch sensitivity on your screen.
Okay, good. So I'm not crazy, just stupid for getting accessory crazy and blowing $10 on something ugly that I am now going to peel off. Thanks.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
The iPhone screen CAN scratch, and it DOES scratch. The screen protector prevents these scratches. You must clean the screen of every dust particle, or you will get bubble when applying. When applied correctly, it's there to stay and it is undetectable its even there

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
The iPhone screen CAN scratch, and it DOES scratch. The screen protector prevents these scratches. You must clean the screen of every dust particle, or you will get bubble when applying. When applied correctly, it's there to stay and it is undetectable its even there
The screen is really HARD to SCRATCH unless your trying to scratch the screen it wont, Keying, dropping and blading doesn't scratch it what the hell else can you do in a normal day of use to scratch it then?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
The screen is really HARD to SCRATCH unless your trying to scratch the screen it wont, Keying, dropping and blading doesn't scratch it what the hell else can you do in a normal day of use to scratch it then?
Have you personally ever took a blade to an iPhone, or is this once incident you saw online and assumed it made the screen invincible? The protectors are 10 dollars, and are not noticeable. To support my opinion the iPhone warrants a simple protector let me direct you to:

iPhone screen scratched

slight scratch on screen
my iPhone screen got scratched:( (fixes?)

Well, I scratched my screen....

And thats just those who are in our community and made a thread about their scratch. If scratches don't occur regularly there also wouldn't be a 3-page thread titled "Best Way to Repair Scratches on Screen". These so called internet videos create a false sense of security in my opinion. So guy grab a $10 screen protector at your Apple store to protect your $600 investment.

P.S. Those waiting on a version 2, think RESALE VALUE!

Last edited by a moderator:

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Think of it as insurance. Hopefully you'll never need it, but if the occasion arises and you have it on there and something happens you'll be glad you had it. The thing I like about the ones they sell at the Apple Store is they cover 99.99% of the screen. They are really easy to put on, but it takes patience. I bought them and screwed up the first one and was glad to have a second one. If you have to remove it, use a piece of scotch tape at the corner and lightly press it down and then lift the tape up. The protector will come right off and you can reuse it. I've used these for years on my Palms and iPods.
You probably don't need one, I'm just the type to take as many precautions as possible without ruining the look of the thing.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
One of the neat things you can do with a screen cover (and someone should make money doing this), is to use a (hot) pin to make Braille-like pricks in the cover as "keyboard helpers", just like the marks on your desktop's F and J and 5 keys.

Then you can amaze your friends at your ability to type, control the iPod portion and do other neat tasks without looking at the screen.

Perhaps even a simple matrix pattern would let you learn the screen areas.

This is an old trick usually done with tiny dots of clear nail polish decades ago.

:eek:

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
I haven't bothered with a screen protector. The iPhone screen is very durable and will only scratch or crack under extreme conditions, conditions that the screen protector i doubt would help in. I've also heard it hurts the responsiveness of the touch screen and that's not a trade i'm willing to make.

I have the dlo jamjacket which i bought on iday. the corners have extra padding and are raised slightly so if i do drop my phone the screen would not take the full impact of the ground. Fool proof? no but i gives me some piece of mind.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
that idea with the (rasied) dots on the protector seems cool, might try it myself
Try to figure out a way to make them as smooth a bump as possible, so it doesn't irritate the finger or get in the way of swiping. Maybe even just a ballpoint from the other side for bumps or ridges, or from the front for indentation lines.

If I had more time on my hands, I'd start a company making protector sheets like this, with very thin lines where the unlock swipe is, the iPod controls would have tiny squares, keyboard has dots, etc.

All so you'd have some tactile feedback for doing things one-handed while busy or otherwise unable to see the device (like in a pocket).

Good luck!

lymn

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
I actually took a key to my screen when I first got it showing it off at a bar (was drunk at the time) THANK GOD they don't scratch easy...

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
I have a screen protector for good measures...I know it's scratch proof and all like everyone says, but it feels twice as good to be extra safe.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
Yes plastic is easier to scratch than glass but say if you dropped your iPhone and it slid across a concrete pavment face down. It would scratch the glass. Now if you had a screen protector yes it would prob get scratched BUT you can easily peel off and replace the screen protector now with a scratched glass screen you can't just replace it like that so your stuck with it being scratched permently versus having the screen protector take one for the team

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
If I had more time on my hands, I'd start a company making protector sheets like this, with very thin lines where the unlock swipe is, the iPod controls would have tiny squares, keyboard has dots, etc.
That is one clever idea! You really should make these. You seem to have it well thought out. Just get your specs over to some shop in china and bam!, you're a richer man.

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
the protector film' static clinger" i bought from Apple was the best ive seen
i don't have any of those rubber or leather cases. only the film and it works wonder.
protected from finger prints , smudges and everything from scratches from impact with keys and stuffs in your pocket
i love it, i don't know why you are complaing about it, its made from materials that woulndt slide around, perfect fit to the iPhone

you just wanted too much. you shouldnt complain

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
That is one clever idea! You really should make these. You seem to have it well thought out. Just get your specs over to some shop in china and bam!, you're a richer man.
Thank you very kindly. Like I said, it's an old trick, and I'm an old dog.

After thinking about it though, I realize it's probably not very useful with a capactive touch screen, because that works from proximity, not pressure.

With mechanical buttons or resistive screens, where you can lightly lay your fingers, the physical feedback would work much better.

On iPhone, by the time you felt the ridges, you'd already be selecting something. Oh well, darn.

:)

Cheers, Kev

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
Try to figure out a way to make them as smooth a bump as possible, so it doesn't irritate the finger or get in the way of swiping. Maybe even just a ballpoint from the other side for bumps or ridges, or from the front for indentation lines.

All so you'd have some tactile feedback for doing things one-handed while busy or otherwise unable to see the device (like in a pocket).

Good luck!

That is actually one of the best ideas I ever heard for this device.