Why was Activation Lock left out of Watch OS 1.0?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rafagon, May 14, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm not certain why Apple chose to leave Activation Lock out of Watch OS 1.0, when they've already had plenty of experience with it on iOS. Perhaps they were in a hurry to start selling the thing. The code for Activation Lock has already been in iOS for sometime… all that was needed was to include it in Watch OS.

It makes me think of a scenario where Ford would start selling a brand new model of a car, but decide to leave the airbags out for version 1.0.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Terrible comparison. One is highly regulated, a major safety risk and required by law and the other is optional. Omitting it doesn't set Apple up for a lawsuit. It's not a major security risk. They can't use your Apple Pay.

Thieves can also use your Tag Heuer, Tissot, Movado, Rolex, etc. watches if they steal them. Maybe Apple is still working on it.

They can implement it with a software update. A lot of people skip the first version for reasons like this.

#2 Europa, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

No activation lock, but you can set the Apple Watch passcode/password system to erase all data after 10 failed attempts.

4. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

With a gold watch available it seems to me Rafagon has a valid point. This is an expensive device that unlike Rolex and other "dumb" watches has the capability to support this. Europa is also correct, we will likely see this added on a future update.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Most iPhones are misplaced and picked up by others, rather than outright theft. That won't be as likely with an Watch. It'll be on the wrist most of the time. While there will be lost and stolen watches, I doubt incidents will be as numerous as with the iPhone.

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Those statistics mean squat to the person that looses or has their watch ripped from their wrist.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I didn't say it would never happen. Just not as much as with the iPhone.

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

There's some good wisdom there, Chris! Thanks for the write up.

10. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

how long as activation been around for idevices now? it's not like the first several iterations had it. this is a first-gen device. should it have been there? perhaps. people need to calm their tits a bit though. the people who are complaining are the same people are never going to lose or misplace it.

11. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

But if is simple to add it, why not? I'm sure it would not be a difficult thing to add. If someone can get my watch but it's bricked, that's one thing. If they can wipe it and reinstall as new and use it or sell it, well that would piss me off big time.

12. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

I think you've answered your own question. Perhaps it's not as easy as people think.