Why won't a BOOTROM version show up in WinXP Device Mgr on a JB iPhone 3G 3.1.3 BB 06.15.00

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Granitel

Oct 24, 2011
Googling for how to determine the BOOTROM version of a recently activated/jailbroken/unlocked iPhone 3G BB 06.15.00, I followed the instructions below on Windows XP but there is no "Device Instance Path" to tell me what my BOOTROM version is.

What did I do wrong?
device_instance_path.jpg

Here is what I did:
1. Recently I downgraded the iPhone 3G from iOS 4.2.1 to 3.3.1 (gory details here):
- What are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)

2. Since I was determined to not make the same mistakes (of not knowing the versions before I have a problem), I resolved to find the BOOTROM version.

3. The serial number 3rd, 4th, & 5th characters indicate the iPhone was built in the 25th week of 2008, which would imply the 359.3 BOOTROM version (but since this phone was purchased off of Craigslist already jailbroken with the iPad baseband, that's not a foolproof method).

4. This is the WinXP method I followed to determine the BOOTROM version:
a) I booted the WinXP PC (iTunes was not running)
b) I turned on the iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3 BB 06.15.00
c) I connected the iPhone 3G to the WinXP PC
d) I launched iTunes 10.5.0.142 & waited for it to recognize the iPhone 3G
e) After iTunes recognized the iPhone 3G, I powered off the iPhone 3G
f) I waited for 10 seconds once the iPhone 3G was switched off
g) I simultaneously held the iPhone 3G Power & Home buttons for 10 seconds
h) I released the iPhone 3G Power button after the first 10 seconds but held onto the Home button until I saw the following message on iTunes:
Code:
"iTunes must check the iPod software update server to identify this device"
i) I right clicked on the WinXP My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> Apple Mobile Device USB Driver -> Properties -> Details and looked for "Device Instance Path" from the dropdown list. It wasn't there!
j) I was expecting to see the "Device Instance Path = [IBOOT-574.4]" or something like that in the string; but the property didn't exist!

5. I tried this multiple times, on two different WinXP computers.

6. In the end, I had to google how to exit DFU mode:
a) In DFU mode, I held the Home button & the Power button for about 10 seconds.
b) Since the iPhone 3G was connected to the WinXP PC, I heard a beep as the USB device was disconnected.
c) Then, I pressed the Power button and the iPhone 3G exited DFU mode & powered up to the Apple logo & slide-to-unlock screen.

My question:
Q: What did I do wrong that the Device Instance Path was not there?

Granitel

Oct 24, 2011
Since GPS is apparently a problem on the 06.15.00-5.9_M3S2 baseband that my iPhone 3G 3.1.3 has, I'm trying to see how to downgrade the baseband.
Apparently it might matter which bootrom I have.

Here's what I tried to find the bootrom version; but I failed:
a) I booted the WinXP PC (iTunes was not running)
b) I turned on the iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3 BB 06.15.00
c) I connected the iPhone 3G to the WinXP PC
d) I launched iTunes 10.5.0.142 & waited for it to recognize the iPhone 3G
e) After iTunes recognized the iPhone 3G, I powered off the iPhone 3G
f) I waited for 10 seconds once the iPhone 3G was switched off
g) I simultaneously held the iPhone 3G Power & Home buttons for 10 seconds
h) I released the iPhone 3G Power button after the first 10 seconds but held onto the Home button until I saw the following message on iTunes:

Code:
"iTunes must check the iPod software update server to identify this device"
i) I right clicked on the WinXP My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> Apple Mobile Device USB Driver -> Properties -> Details and looked for "Device Instance Path" from the dropdown list. It wasn't there!
j) I was expecting to see the "Device Instance Path = [IBOOT-574.4]" or something like that in the string; but the property didn't exist!

5. I tried this multiple times, on two different WinXP computers.

6. Now I was stuck in DFU mode with nothing to show for it.

a) After googling how to exit DFU mode, I held the Home button & the Power button for about 10 seconds.
b) Since the iPhone 3G was connected to the WinXP PC, I heard a beep as the USB device was disconnected.
c) Then, I pressed the Power button and the iPhone 3G exited DFU mode & powered up to the Apple logo & slide-to-unlock screen.

7. Now I was back running normally; except I had nothing to show for the effort.

I wanted to try to see if I can downgrade the unlocked iPhone 3G 3.1.3 baseband back to a less problematic (GPS, etc.) baseband than 06.15.00-5.9 (which is what Tiny Umbrella reports).

BTW, the serial number 3rd, 4th, & 5th characters indicate the iPhone was built in the 25th week of 2008, which would imply the 359.3 BOOTROM version (but since this phone was purchased off of Craigslist already jailbroken with the iPad baseband, I'm not sure if the bootrom was updated).

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I don't use Windows so I can't help you with finding the device instance path except by giving you google links etc.

You've written a good detailed description of what you've done, but, just to confirm the actual question.. you want to know your devices bootrom? You mentioned you purchased your device from CL... the serial indicates it's old bootrom. The serial can't be faked unless you spoof your about screen via a Cydia tweak - since you've done countless restores I think it's pretty safe to say you're on the old bootrom.

Have you tried using USB view? http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities/usbview.zip this may help you see your device.

Also, here is an article on Redmondpie which may help also. http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-check-iphone-3gs-bootrom-iboot-version/

Granitel

Oct 24, 2011
I think it's pretty safe to say you're on the old bootrom.
Now that I know more about how to downgrade from the iPad baseband to an older iPhone 3G baseband w/o GPS problems, I realized belatedly, that the bootrom version won't matter for an iPhone 3G (it matters greatly for an iPhone 3GS); but I'm still not out of the woods just yet.

Apparently the iPhone 3G bootloader version DOES matter if I wish to downgrade the baseband so that GPS works again.

I tried (and failed) to find the bootloader version using these instructions I found on the net:
On WinXP, here's what I did to check the boot loader version:
1. I downloaded BBUpdaterExtreme to my WinXP PC
2. I downloaded & installed WinSCP to my WinXP PC
3. Connecting to my home WiFi network, I found my IP address using:
* Settings -> Wi-Fi -> {network name} -> {blue arrow} -> IP Address
4. While connected to WiFi, I tethered the iPhone 3G to the WinXP PC
5. In Windows, I started WinSCP and entered the following at the login "Session" tab:
* HOSTNAME = the hostname found in step 3 above
* LOGIN = root
* PASSWORD = alpine
* PORT = 22
6. Unfortunately, that 'should' have allowed me to log into the iPhone to run the necessary steps to check the boot loader version; but it failed with a network-communication error.

What I'm going to try next is Fuzzyband (from Cydia) to obtain the bootloader version.

Once I get the bootloader version, I can then google for a method of downgrading the iPhone 3G baseband from 06.15.00-5.9_M3S2 to whatever baseband actually belongs on an iPhone 3G, iOS 3.1.3, Bootrom 359.3, bootloader unknown as yet.

Granitel

Oct 24, 2011
I'm going to try Fuzzyband (from Cydia) to obtain the bootloader version.
Drat. Fuzzyband 4.1 reports:
  • Sorry, downgrading will only work with Baseband Bootloader 05.08"
    • Bootloader Version: 05.09 [G2M3S2] => Not Supported
    • iPhone OS Version: 3.1.3, Baseband Version: ICE2-06.15.00
Apparently the original jailbreakers installed this iPad baseband (the phone was bought for my kid, already jailbroken on Craigslist in August). Since I'm an iNewbie (I have never used it), after it locked up in restore mode, it took me a few days elapsed time to figure out how to downgrade the iPhone 3G iOS from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3,then how to activate, jailbreak, and unlock anew.

Q1: Why on earth would a jailbreaker install an iPhone 3G iPad baseband that disallows GPS?

Q2: Since I'm an iNewbie, may I ask what specific GPS problems would I be on the lookout for?

fuzzyband.jpg

Addendum: Apparently Tiny Umbrella 'did' report the bootloader version (I just didn't know how to interpret it):
  • Tiny Umbrella, on WinXP reports:
  • Device Model = MB702LL/A - iPhone3G
  • Installed Firmware Version = 3.1.3
  • Installed Baseband Version = 06.15.00-5.9_M3S2
  • Note: I'm guessing the 5.9 is 'apparently' the bootloader version 05.09?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Now that I know more about how to downgrade from the iPad baseband to an older iPhone 3G baseband w/o GPS problems, I realized belatedly, that the bootrom version won't matter for an iPhone 3G (it matters greatly for an iPhone 3GS); but I'm still not out of the woods just yet.

Apparently the iPhone 3G bootloader version DOES matter if I wish to downgrade the baseband so that GPS works again.

I tried (and failed) to find the bootloader version using these instructions I found on the net:
On WinXP, here's what I did to check the boot loader version:
1. I downloaded BBUpdaterExtreme to my WinXP PC
2. I downloaded & installed WinSCP to my WinXP PC
3. Connecting to my home WiFi network, I found my IP address using:
* Settings -> Wi-Fi -> {network name} -> {blue arrow} -> IP Address
4. While connected to WiFi, I tethered the iPhone 3G to the WinXP PC
5. In Windows, I started WinSCP and entered the following at the login "Session" tab:
* HOSTNAME = the hostname found in step 3 above
* LOGIN = root
* PASSWORD = alpine
* PORT = 22
6. Unfortunately, that 'should' have allowed me to log into the iPhone to run the necessary steps to check the boot loader version; but it failed with a network-communication error.

What I'm going to try next is Fuzzyband (from Cydia) to obtain the bootloader version.

Once I get the bootloader version, I can then google for a method of downgrading the iPhone 3G baseband from 06.15.00-5.9_M3S2 to whatever baseband actually belongs on an iPhone 3G, iOS 3.1.3, Bootrom 359.3, bootloader unknown as yet.

I didn't read the thread title properly - or I would have told you that the bootrom doesn't matter on an iPhone 3G and NOT an iPhone 3GS.

I see you were trying to SSH onto your device. From the steps you've posted above, forgive me if I'm wrong but it appears your haven't installed OpenSSH on your device. If you don't install OpenSSH you can't use clients like iPhone Explorer, WinSCP or Cyberduck to transfer files to and from the device.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Q1: Why on earth would a jailbreaker install an iPhone 3G iPad baseband that disallows GPS?

Q2: Since I'm an iNewbie, may I ask what specific GPS problems would I be on the lookout for?
1: The iPad baseband was unlockable by Ultrasn0w. The GPS problem doesn't exist for everyone. Some users have fully working GPS.

2: Specific problems would be the loss of GPS. A-GPS will still work, using Cell towers to triangulate your position.

Granitel

Oct 24, 2011
it appears your haven't installed OpenSSH on your device. If you don't install OpenSSH you can't use clients like iPhone Explorer, WinSCP or Cyberduck to transfer files to and from the device.
Ah, you are quite astute. I definitely did not install OpenSSH (didn't know I needed to).

1: The iPad baseband was unlockable by Ultrasn0w.
Hmm. I 'thought' it was the iOS that was unlocked. Is it actually just the 'baseband' that is unlocked?

Some users have fully working GPS.
Oh! Then being the eternal optimist, I'll google for iPhone 3G GPS applications and choose a good testcase.

A-GPS will still work, using Cell towers to triangulate your position.
Thanks. I looked up A-GPS to find it's three things in one (of which, I should be able to have only two):
  1. Traditional (satellite) GPS => needs a GPS receiver in the phone + a good view of the sky
  2. Cell-phone triangulation GPS => needs a 3G cell-phone signal ? If so, it won't work for me since I don't have a data plan (that's my whole point of unlocking - so I could move off of AT&T which forces a data plan, even when you buy your own phone)
  3. WiFi location GPS => needs to be connected to WiFi (I guess that's not going to be very often on the road, except at open public hotspots)
I wonder if it matters greatly that I have 3G turned off as I'm on T-Mobile with voice/text only (i.e., data is blocked).
Seems to me that will slow things down a lot but at least the 'traditional GPS' should still work.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Ah, you are quite astute. I definitely did not install OpenSSH (didn't know I needed to).
Yes, to SSH on to an iDevice you need to have OpenSSH installed. If you don't it simply wont work.

Hmm. I 'thought' it was the iOS that was unlocked. Is it actually just the 'baseband' that is unlocked?
The OS becomes jailbroken allowing you to install apps and tweaks that Apple wont allow via the App Store. When an iPhone is unlocked it means that you can use the device on another network i.e not locked to AT&T etc.

Oh! Then being the eternal optimist, I'll google for iPhone 3G GPS applications and choose a good testcase.
The native Maps.app is sufficient.

Thanks. I looked up A-GPS to find it's three things in one (of which, I should be able to have only two):
  1. Traditional (satellite) GPS => needs a GPS receiver in the phone + a good view of the sky
  2. Cell-phone triangulation GPS => needs a 3G cell-phone signal ? If so, it won't work for me since I don't have a data plan (that's my whole point of unlocking - so I could move off of AT&T which forces a data plan, even when you buy your own phone)
  3. WiFi location GPS => needs to be connected to WiFi (I guess that's not going to be very often on the road, except at open public hotspots)
I wonder if it matters greatly that I have 3G turned off as I'm on T-Mobile with voice/text only (i.e., data is blocked).

Seems to me that will slow things down a lot but at least the 'traditional GPS' should still work.
You can't have 3G enabled when you're using T-Mobile - it just wont work otherwise. The networks run on different frequencies. You will lose only GPS. The cell tower triangulation and wifi location still work.