Why won't AT&T let me get an iPhone?

rob1704

Dec 5, 2008
Gurus-
Ok, here is my deal. My wife and I had a shared plan with US Cellular when I bought her an iPhone March. We rolled our numbers over to AT&T, she activated her iPhone and I got their basic free phone.

Now she wants to buy me a 3G iPhone for christmas and AT&T is saying "No". They won't let me get the promotional price for the 3G because they say I received that piece of crap free nokia when we signed our contract so if I want an iPhone before 2010 I would have to pay $400 for it.

So she asked if she could get the 3G for herself and give me her basic iPhone and they said "No". Now from what I have read they are supposed to let her upgrade to the new phone and why in the heck wouldn't AT&T want us to spend more money with two iPhones?!?
Help me defeat the evil empire!

Rob

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Got me -- when I upgraded my iPhone to the 3G I had only had it for 8 months. AT&Ts policy was to let all iPhone owners upgrade. I'd get a supervisor and fight it. You may be able to find the page on their site giving the upgrade terms.

rob1704

Dec 5, 2008
How much did they make you pay for the 3G?

The way I see it is my wife never got a promotion when we signed up because she got the iPhone from Apple and activated it through iTunes.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
If you end up wanting to buy a 3G I have 2 8GB for sale.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Gurus-
Ok, here is my deal. My wife and I had a shared plan with US Cellular when I bought her an iPhone March. We rolled our numbers over to AT&T, she activated her iPhone and I got their basic free phone.

Now she wants to buy me a 3G iPhone for christmas and AT&T is saying "No". They won't let me get the promotional price for the 3G because they say I received that piece of crap free nokia when we signed our contract so if I want an iPhone before 2010 I would have to pay $400 for it.

So she asked if she could get the 3G for herself and give me her basic iPhone and they said "No". Now from what I have read they are supposed to let her upgrade to the new phone and why in the heck wouldn't AT&T want us to spend more money with two iPhones?!?
Help me defeat the evil empire!

Rob

Go to another AT&T store or better yet just go to an Apple store.

What you need to do is not tell them what you want to do.

This is a little difficult and will need a few steps to completed
Go to either store say you want to upgrade her iPhone to the 3g. They will deactive the old iPhone and activate the new one on her number.

Then later take her old one and activate it on your number. Now she has the 3g you have the old one.

If you can live with that leave it that way, if not, you can then go to an AT&T store and have them swap the numbers on the phones.

moonkat

Oct 21, 2008
Call AT&T directly. I've had the same problems with the store employees telling me that there is "nothing they can do about it". I've called and had upgrade fees dropped, among other things.

soccerphysio

Bronze
Apr 3, 2008
Birmingham AL via Long Island
I have a friend who was also told "there was nothing they could do" due to a similar contractual situation. He escalated his call through several layers of the management hierarchy, was very willing to buy the phone at full price, and even threatened to leave ATT altogether. No luck. So he left and bought an Android phone with TMo.

Xtgirl

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I would think that you really shouldn't even have an issue having to fight if you have your wife upgrade her phone to a 3G....we were all supposed to be able to do that.....

So, have her upgrade and then call AT+T and have the swap numbers for you...like someone said above...

Now the interesting thing....and I don't know if this is possible..but I wonder if you activated the old iPhone on your account and it has shown up on your account for a while....I wonder if you then will be eligible for a 3G so two 3G's:) don't know....

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Your best bet is to have your wife go to the Apple store and buy the iPhone as a gift for you there.

What will happen is, they will load up a gift card (depending on which phone u want) with her money. She then can go home and put the card under the tree, and then you can go to the Apple store and get the iPhone after santa has stopped by.

If you physically want the device in your hand, well then you'll have to go there with her or by urself and buy it.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Is her iPhone a v1? if it is she qualifies for the upgrade regardless of when it was bought .You on the other hand do not. I had a friend that had a V1 and was going to get him and his gf 3g's .
He went to purchase them and they told him since her FREE crappy PREPAID phone they converted to his plan was not eligible he could not get her the iPhone and had to wait 2 months till her contact expired.

The idiots at AT&T told his their "hands were tied" and nothing they could do that it was an Apple rule not one by AT&T

but back to the point if hers is a V1 she can go in and get a 3g at the discount price and you could then activate her old V1 iPhone. But if you want the 3G phone and want to switch the numbers im sure the morons at AT&T will make it an excruciating experience :laugh2: