Why won't video work on podcasts?

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
I've downloaded a few video podcasts, but only get audio and no picture. Is there is a mode I need to enable? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
if you're trying to watch a video podcast, just be sure you select it under the videos tab, not the podcast tab - for some reason, you only hear the audio without video if you select it through the podcast tab...

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
if you're trying to watch a video podcast, just be sure you select it under the videos tab, not the podcast tab - for some reason, you only hear the audio without video if you select it through the podcast tab...
So it is an option in the podcast selection?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
So it is an option in the podcast selection?
no, it's just matters how you get to the video podcast in terms of how it plays. here's how i do it:

i open the ipod application on my iPhone - i have chosen "playlists," "podcasts," "videos," and "artists" as my buttons at the bottom (the last button is always "more" - i don't think this can be changed). if i press the "podcasts" button and select a video podcast, i'll only hear the audio of that podcast and won't see the video. if i go back to that main screen and select the "videos" button at the bottom, and then choose to view the video podcast, then i'll see the video and the audio for the podcast. try that!

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
no, it's just matters how you get to the video podcast in terms of how it plays. here's how i do it:

i open the ipod application on my iPhone - i have chosen "playlists," "podcasts," "videos," and "artists" as my buttons at the bottom (the last button is always "more" - i don't think this can be changed). if i press the "podcasts" button and select a video podcast, i'll only hear the audio of that podcast and won't see the video. if i go back to that main screen and select the "videos" button at the bottom, and then choose to view the video podcast, then i'll see the video and the audio for the podcast. try that!
So you have to do this in i tunes right?

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
no, i do this on my iPhone (should also work on your ipod touch). or do i misunderstand your problem? are you able to get video podcasts synced to your iPhone/ipod touch to begin with?

I get the podcast through i tunes the store and I go to play the video podcast and it just get the splash screen and audio, no video.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I get the podcast through i tunes the store and I go to play the video podcast and it just get the splash screen and audio, no video.
okay, let's back up here. so, you've downloaded the podcast successfuly in iTunes and it's synced to your ipod, correct? and you're trying to play the podcast on your ipod touch or on your computer? if it's your ipod, do what i described in post #5 above (on the ipod itself). if it's on your computer, i don't know why you're not seeing any video in iTunes and can't offer any help with that...

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
okay, let's back up here. so, you've downloaded the podcast successfuly in iTunes and it's synced to your ipod, correct? and you're trying to play the podcast on your ipod touch or on your computer? if it's your ipod, do what i described in post #5 above (on the ipod itself). if it's on your computer, i don't know why you're not seeing any video in iTunes and can't offer any help with that...

I watch on the touch.

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008

Where do i find the icon labeled applications?

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
uh, there is no icon labeled applications. i said the "ipod application". you must know how to open that on your ipod touch - it's the icon with the music notes on it...
OK I do that but I don't see those menu options.

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
Could it be the i touch dosen't have those options?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Could it be the i touch dosen't have those options?
no, it's the same. i've been assuming you have the videos button at the bottom when you open the ipod application and you may not - please see page 33 of the ipod touch features guide here to get it there if you don't. then, touch the "videos" button and select the video podcast you want to view and you should be able to see it...

LAPTOP GAMER

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
no, it's the same. i've been assuming you have the videos button at the bottom when you open the ipod application and you may not - please see page 33 of the ipod touch features guide here to get it there if you don't. then, touch the "videos" button and select the video podcast you want to view and you should be able to see it...
I feel like the biggest moron!, I checked the video file in the i pod touch, and voila! video podcast for the viewing:oops::oops::oops:!

kel

Mar 14, 2009
Ipod classic and a setting that probably is applicable to Nano and iPhone

Hope this saves you time- In iTunes -you have to click on the podcast you downloaded-click on Advanced and scrolll down to 'create ipod or iPhone version'. It will then it will convert to a video. This can take a few minutes depending on the size of file. On the classic,(on mine anyway) you have to play your video podcast by selecting (1)Video, on the main screen then scrolling down to (2)video podcast. It will only play audio if you select it through Podcast. The problem I encountered was that on my Ipod in the video settings, I had my TV OUT (On) and it must be turned (off). I screwed around with this for an hour before I figured this out what was flubbing up the video presentation.