Wi-fi and Email Questions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

imapfsr

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Hi All,
New member and first post:)
I have ordered a new iPhone and expect it to show today or tomorrow and am very excited to use it. I am on Rogers in Canada and will have to do all unlocking fun stuff. I have searched and found lots of info but not specifically what I am looking for. I use Outlook for contacts, calander and email and have been reading about this push email thing. I understand the concept of it but am unsure of a couple of things. If I continue to use Outlook will it 'push' the email or do I need to switch to Gmail or something like that. If I do need to switch can I still use Outlook for Contacts and Calander or does Gmail or Yahoo have those features and an easy way to transfer them from my Outlook. Last, do you need a data plan to use the push or will my iPhone do that auto when I wander into a Wifi signal. I thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer me.
Todd

Hi All,
New member and first post:)
I have ordered a new iPhone and expect it to show today or tomorrow and am very excited to use it. I am on Rogers in Canada and will have to do all unlocking fun stuff. I have searched and found lots of info but not specifically what I am looking for. I use Outlook for contacts, calander and email and have been reading about this push email thing. I understand the concept of it but am unsure of a couple of things. If I continue to use Outlook will it 'push' the email or do I need to switch to Gmail or something like that. If I do need to switch can I still use Outlook for Contacts and Calander or does Gmail or Yahoo have those features and an easy way to transfer them from my Outlook. Last, do you need a data plan to use the push or will my iPhone do that auto when I wander into a Wifi signal. I thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer me.
Todd
CONGRATS on the new phone! Be sure to leave yourself an open day this week to lock yourself in a room and play with the new toy! In fact, take the day off from work tomorrow. (Tell 'em I said it was ok)

Anywho.. as for the "Push mail". Yahoo mail is currently the only mail type (that I know of) that does push mail. But all is not lost.

You can still use Outlook and sync it to the phone. The big thing is, the type of email account you're using. IMAP is the best way to go, in my opinion, if your ISP offers it.

With IMAP, you can set up folders on the server, to help keep your mail more organized. Also, your mail will be available on your phone and in Outlook at the same time. The mail stays on the server so you can get to it from either. With a POP3 account, the is downloaded to the device and removed from the server. Meaning basically, if you download the mail to the iPhone, it's there. You won't see it in Outlook, and vice versa.

Yahoo and Gmail both have Contacts and calendar features. Not sure how well they sync with Outlook though.

As for a data plan, I guess technically you could just use Wifi, but you'd be limited (obviously) as to where and when you could check the email.

Hopefully that covers the questions... Once again, congrats on the new phone and welcome to EIP. Spend some time reading, you can learn tons of cool stuff. :)