Wi-Fi Assist

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

brdmsd

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Can someone explain to me what this does. I had to exchange a defective IPhone 6 Plus at my local Apple Store. While there the Apple employee set up my basic IPhone settings. Unfortunately, the iPhone set up with Wi-Fi assist "on". The next day my phone used 13gb of data in 3 hrs resulting in excess data charged to my AT&T account.. I normally use about 3gb a month. What happened?.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Can someone explain to me what this does. I had to exchange a defective IPhone 6 Plus at my local Apple Store. While there the Apple employee set up my basic IPhone settings. Unfortunately, the iPhone set up with Wi-Fi assist "on". The next day my phone used 13gb of data in 3 hrs resulting in excess data charged to my AT&T account.. I normally use about 3gb a month. What happened?.
It's quite simple. It uses cellular data when your Wi-Fi connection is too poor to be usable.

Apple's support document goes into greater detail: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296

If you weren't actively using your phone during the three hours during which all that cellular data was used, something has gone awfully awry, as "Wi-Fi Assist only works when you have apps running in the foreground and doesn't activate with background downloading of content."

Go to Settings > Cellular and scroll down to where it says "USE CELLULAR DATA FOR:" and below that you should see which of your apps used up all that cellular data. You will probably want to turn off cellular data for that app from now on.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
If you've had a suboptimal experience with Wi-Fi Assist, such as too much cellular data used while suffering from a poor Wi-Fi connection, you'll soon be able to tell exactly how much cellular data was used as a result of Wi-Fi Assist kicking in.

iOS 9.3 will show this figure in Settings > Cellular:

wifiassistnewios9datafeature-400x208.jpg

(Photo courtesy Today's iPhone)