Wi-Fi Calling Now Available for AT&T Users

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Rafagon, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

After you turn on Wi-Fi calling, phone calls via Wi-Fi, as well as SMS texting, work when on Airplane Mode if Wi-Fi is on. Here's a screenshot from my phone:

IMG_0064.jpg

I see no reason not to use it this way all day long, provided I'm going to be in a Wi-Fi area. It would probably yield slightly better battery life if I have the cellular radio turned off. YMMV.

#2 Rafagon, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I just found out that WI-Fi calling is live for AT&T in the Chicago-land area. Went to Settings/Phone and the Wi-Fi calling toggle is active. The only caveat is that 911 call responders may be sent to a preset address. Your home address is the default but it is changeable. Time to do some reading and then go play.

#3 iPutz, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  4. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

How long before Verizon finally enables WiFi calling? They're the last tier one carrier in the U.S. that doesn't have it.

5. Superevangelist

Bronze

I turned Wifi Calling on and tested the airplane mode as mentioned and did not get the same.

I turned the feature on a few hours ago and went through the entire setup. Is it possible it's still not available for me or my area?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

T-Mobile has had it for a long time. I've had it on my T-Mobile phone for well over a year. I just tried to enable it on my AT&T and it finally appears that it's going to work. It said it would be available in a few minutes, but that was over an hour ago and it still hasn't activated. Hopefully, I can test it out tonight. I'm excited to test it because I'm hopeful that audio quality will be better. For some reason, FaceTime audio quality degraded a week or so ago and has been so bad it's been unusable since.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sounds like it's still pending. Give it some time. You'll see "AT&T WiFi" in the status bar when it's activated. You'll see "AT&T" if not. Both will show the WiFi symbol as it's always appeared. You don't have to go into airplane mode to see this.

8. Superevangelist

Bronze

I did some adjusting and it now says "AT&T Wi-Fi" in the status bar.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I haven't heard an exact date yet. We didn't have one for AT&T. They started rolling it out a few months ago on AT&T, but it was limited to cenrtain cities. Some of the people on the iOS 9 beta had it last summer.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What did you adjust? Mine hasn't activated yet. I toggled it off and then back on and rebooted. I put in the 911 address earlier today.

11. Superevangelist

Bronze

Up until that previous post I assumed that everything was normal.

I put the phone in airplane mode, and then turned WiFi back on, waited for a few seconds and the new status appeared. I then turned airplane mode off and the AT&T WiFi status has stayed in the bar.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I reset my network settings and went into airplane mode, turned WiFi on and then toggled airplane mode back off. Still not activated. I'll just give it some more time.

13. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I don't think you will get a notification saying it's activated... I didn't but it's working for me. If you want to test it to see if it's working just turn on Airplane Mode and make sure WiFi is connected. If you are up and rockin' you'll see AT&T WiFi next to the Airplane Mode Icon

IMG_0003.jpg

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not waiting for a notification. I'm just waiting for it to show up in the status bar. It's toggled on, but it still just says "AT&T." I've gone into airplane mode and reset network settings, but it's still not working/activated.

15. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Weird.. Mine was up about 10 seconds after I turned it on.. Maybe it's delayed for some locations?

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It said it would be available "in a few minutes," but that was a couple hours ago. I'm sure they are just bogged down.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

They will first try to locate your iPhone using GPS. If that doesn't work, then they'll fall back to the preset address. This is from the AT&T website:

Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 8.02.25 PM.png
    If you're able to speak at the time you place the call to 911, I'm assuming you can always give your location verbally and that should override anything else.

18. Mrbjr

Mrbjr New Member

Took about 5 minutes total, I'm in central CA if that makes any difference.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Still not working here. AT&T said they have been having a lot of trouble with it. I called them before my last resort (restoring) to see if they could work any magic, but they show it as active for my phone and just had me do the same troubleshooting I had already done. Restoring to factory settings now.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Still not working here after a restore to factory settings. It lets me toggle it on (it never let me toggle it on before today), but it still just says "AT&T" in the status bar. AT&T just said to take it into an AT&T Store, although they probably won't have any information that he doesn't have.