Wi-Fi Issues (linksys N)

bnel851

Dec 19, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Hello all - So I have been searching the site for Wife issues similar to mine but have yet to come across anything. My issue is that I'm not able to get ANY wireless networks to show up. I have a wireless computer that connects just fine and a wireless printer working perfectly, but my iPhone won't "find" my wireless network.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.....

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Does your iPhone see WiFi networks out in public places? If not, are you sure you have WiFi On, under Settings > WiFi?

What model Linksys do you have? You may need to make sure your Linksys supports (and has turned on access for) 802.11b/g wireless clients - as the iPhone does not 'speak' N ...

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
Any N router is capable of broadcasting in 802.11 b/g. And it should be set to it by default. Check your router settings by typing 192.168.1.1 into your address bar. If that doesn't work, straight ethernet into the back of the router and type it in again.

bnel851

Dec 19, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Yes - I receive wifi signals in public places but do not see my wifi signal and Yes - I have wifi turned on.

My router model: WRT150N
Wireless Network Mode: bgn - so it supports G

I'm at a lose....

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Do you have your SSID hidden? Check the settings (Anything like "broadcast SSID, show SSID, hide SSID, etc..). If so, it will not show up and you'll need to explicitly define it in the iPhone in the Advanced tab.

yes my iPhone doesn't pick up the signal from my linksys router either... mine is the WRT54G... my laptop works perfectly... it comes up on the list of different connections but when i go to select it, it asks for the password... i put in the correct password but it says unable to connect... i don't know wats wrong

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Having the same problem with my Linksys WRT350N. My wife's Wizard works fine, wifi printer is fine. All three of our laptops can log in and use wifi (except my wife's has issues sometimes that are similar to my iPhone). My iPhone sees the network and I can log in, no problem. Routinely, though, it just won't load stuff. The progress bar will start, and then hang around 1/10 the way across. Occasionally I'll get a message that says "server can't be found", but usually I just have to hit "refresh" three or four times until it locks on. The only steady fix I have found is to soft-reset the iPhone (oddly, the one problematic laptop has to be rebooted, too). We have an old Linksys "B" router at work and it works fine. One of our neighbors also has an unsecured router that I have to use sometimes with my iPhone ;-)

spud

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
you have to turn on the option that allows other connections besides N standard.

I don't think the iPhone understand N, on your WAP, check the settings. There is an option that will allow N only, and then allow slower connections...B..G...etc..

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
you have to turn on the option that allows other connections besides N standard.

I don't think the iPhone understand N, on your WAP, check the settings. There is an option that will allow N only, and then allow slower connections...B..G...etc..

I have had the NetGear GIGABIT "N" for 3 months and works with the iPhone just fine.

I actually have 2 routers now, AT&T came yesterday and installed the new U-Vurse fiber optic DSL and now video with 3 receivers and DVR. Their router "G" controls the receiver.

Any hoo, for the iPhone go into your wifi and on the connection that does not work, click "forget this connection" and do the process again.

Name: Put your router name exactly
Pass: just put your PassPhrase

bnel851

Dec 19, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
yes my iPhone doesn't pick up the signal from my linksys router either... mine is the WRT54G... my laptop works perfectly... it comes up on the list of different connections but when i go to select it, it asks for the password... i put in the correct password but it says unable to connect... i don't know wats wrong
Free2rhyme - have you figured out your issue? I have called Linksys and they say the router is working fine seeing that my laptop and wireless printers can connect but my iPhone still won't even see the wireless connection. I'm at a loss. Out in public I can pull wi-fi - just not in my own house.

Any ideas? I may just have to call Apple or go to a store and see what they have to say.

Thanks everyone....

gsxr370

Apr 12, 2007
update your firmware. Thats what I did and it works great now.

oguillau

Mar 4, 2008
Free2rhyme - have you figured out your issue? I have called Linksys and they say the router is working fine seeing that my laptop and wireless printers can connect but my iPhone still won't even see the wireless connection. I'm at a loss. Out in public I can pull wi-fi - just not in my own house.

Any ideas? I may just have to call Apple or go to a store and see what they have to say.

Thanks everyone....
Hi !

I have recently bought an Ipod Touch 32 GB :I have exactly the same issue with my linksys WRT150N.

When my router is in "mixed" mode (it is then supposed to work with any wifi device) , my Ipod is not able to connect ... (while all my other wifi devices B G or N work fine). If I force my router in G mode, it works fine ...

Unfortunately, updating to the 1.1.14 firmware did not change anything ...

Oct 30, 2007
I have the same router, WRTN150, but i cannot get it to connect when I go downstairs. Works great in the same room as the router, but that's it.

What can I do to fix this?

oguillau

Mar 4, 2008
Ipod Touch WRT150N

Hi !

I have recently bought an Ipod Touch 32 GB :I have exactly the same issue with my linksys WRT150N.

When my router is in "mixed" mode (it is then supposed to work with any wifi device) , my Ipod is not able to connect ... (while all my other wifi devices B G or N work fine). If I force my router in G mode, it works fine ...

Unfortunately, updating to the 1.1.14 firmware did not change anything ...
My problem is solved : V1.1.14 + reset + reboot of my reouter = everything works fine ...

soilsample

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
South Louisiana USA
I remember an old thread about not using password but some other code number in the router but can't remember specifics. I'm able to use mine with iPhone only when I turn off security. No big deal for me...... No neighbors. May be a good test for you. Try with security turned off.

Jul 30, 2008
I am experiencing the same maddening thing.

I have the WRT54G Linksys Router and the iPhone 3G. Initially, when I brought it home, it worked for two, three days with the WEP encryption. Suddenly it stopped working.

It sees my network, says it is connected, but cannot connect to the web. The little progress circle just keeps going around until it times out.

My notebooks and other devices do not have a problem at all. Only the iPhone. I've spent hours online and on the phone with Linksys and Apple. Neither of them were any help.

I have it set to broadcast my SSID, Mixed Mode.

Cannot tell you the number of times I've powered down the router, the cable modem, and the iPhone. Even reset the iPhone to factory defaults a few times.

Then today I changed it to WPA Personal encryption, and it worked just fine...for a little while.

Then it stopped again. It seems no one at Apple or Linksys knows what to do about this. I'd hate to have to go out and buy a different router (and install it and reconfigure my servers and whatnot) only to find that I had the same problem.

It is a true puzzlement.

I'm going to look through the iPhone 3G documentation again. I am beginning to think the problem is in their Wi Fi firmware.

If you turn OFF your security, it goes through just great. I've tried renewing lease, everything. At it for days and days (can't get around, some broken bones). Ready to try about anything at this point, but cannot leave router unsecured, that is just plain dumb.

Indy

Jul 30, 2008
I am replying to myself (okay, never said I wasn't nuts)...

The issue is in the 3G firmware, not your router. Not anyone's router. You don't have to fiddle with your router at all.

All you have to do to use the internet without having it fail to connect after it goes to sleep is this:

Go into your iPhone 3G settings, choose WiFi. Get to your own network, make sure you set it to static. The DCHP settings will move over automatically when you do this.

It shows your router IP, but then below it shows a string of DNS IP's. Go to that spot, and get your cursor all the way to the very beginning.

Enter 192.168.1.1 followed immediately by a comma and a space, leaving the other numbers that are there intact.

Believe me, no matter how many times your phone goes to sleep, it will work with this.

I futzed, fiddled and did everything else thinking it might be a conflict between my server/router setup. Changed everything but the kitchen sink.

The answer though (although NO router techie dept nor Apple can help you) it is the same for all routers, despite the name brand. The problem is with the firmware for WiFi in the G phone.

Try it. It works, takes two seconds, and you're off and running!

Indy