Wi-Fi it is completely grayed out and says "No Wi-Fi"

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by mcaram16, Dec 28, 2007.

1. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

Yesterday I had to swap out my iPhone for a new one...i got home activated it and everything works except the wifi...under settings/ wi-fi it is completely grayed out and says "No Wi-Fi".....normally it would say ON/OFF...any ideas? I'm thinking hardware issue...which is just my luck!

2. KNK

KNK New Member

Try turning off the iPhone to a soft reset, turn off then turn on. Let us know.

3. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

I tried every type of reset, i restored and everything, but nothing...i was on the phone with Apple support for an hour last night...MORONS! After they wasted an hour of my time, they decided to tell me that it could be a hardware problem!

4. KNK

KNK New Member

Looks like new phone #3...3rd times a charm!

5. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

Actually this will be my 5th!

6. chrismmm

chrismmm New Member
    Silver

your doing something wrong..give us more info maybe we can help..

7. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

haha..thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard...i'm doing something wrong...actually i was right on point the phone was defective

8. KNK

KNK New Member

This will be your 6th phone I wonder if this is a record. Lets hope the new one works.

Also do you think the replaced one were re-furbished or new in the box?

9. jjvaldez

jjvaldez New Member
    Gold

yes when you go to get it replaced let them know that this is the 6 th phone that you are getting and that you'd like a new one that the refurbs are not working out for you

10. chrismmm

chrismmm New Member
    Silver

it may be a h/w problem. is your wireless setup for dhcp or ip? does your wireless router see your phone?

11. connie

connie Evangelist
    Gold

If you have to get another maybe there is a way they can test it out before you take it? What a pain. Hopefully there is a fix.

12. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

the first replacement of the week was from a "white box", def a refurb...the 2nd one was from an original box, so i'd say its new.

13. mcaram16

mcaram16 Member
    Silver

btw, so we can end this thread...i got a new phone and all is good...thanks for all the responses

14. rocafella2032

rocafella2032 New Member

I'm sure this is a common problem, any tips to solve it?

I'm jailbroken on 3.1.2

15. MyRichLife

MyRichLife Zealot
    Gold

Try a soft reset and it should fix the wifi problem or try some of these tips do a reset network connection or try rebooting your phone if that doesn't solve the problem it might be an hardware failure in the phone if that's the case call Apple Tech Support and tell the Apple Technician what your experiencing maybe they have a better fix or solution for you.

16. rocafella2032

rocafella2032 New Member

Ive done all the resets about 100 times, Ive owned the phone for over a year. I tried to get it fixed before but my screen was cracked and they blamed it on that (not the case, it was like that since i bought it).

17. MyRichLife

MyRichLife Zealot
    Gold

If Apple claims the grayed out wifi is caused by the crack screen then only solution is go back to the Apple store or if you wanted to send it in to see if they can find the better fix or like I said a solution if its out of warranty it's going to cost a lot to get it fix or if you have the money not be in your businesss, buy a new iPhone if Apple can't fix your phone for you.

18. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Hey there

My dad has an iPhone 4s running 6.2.1 (I believe) and for some reason the Wi-Fi is not accessible and is greyed out, as in you cannot interact with the switch which turns it on or off. Is there a reason for that? He's been using 3G ever since but would really like to use Wi-Fi.

I have Googled and found that it's a common problem with iOS 6 but most people just went to Apple and had a replacement device so I don't know what to do now.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

19. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Is the device jailbroken?

Have you tried a hard-reset? Would a restore to iOS 6.1.2 be out of the question?

P.S not spoke to you in years... hope you're well.

20. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

Yeah man! It's been up and down but I am alive. How have you been? And how's the wife and kid?

No it's not jailbroken. I have tried a hard reset (holding the power and home buttons) but that didn't work. How can I restore to iOS 6.1.2? Would I need to modify the host file and stuff?