Wi-Fi Networking

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by isaingj, Apr 10, 2013.

1. isaingj

isaingj Member
    Bronze

I found this option in iOS 6 under Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services, and there's a new option saying Wi-Fi Networking, I'm curious what this does, can anyone help me what this does and what it is? ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1365651073.587253.jpg

2. iPutz

iPutz Contributor
    Bronze

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. isaingj

isaingj Member
    Bronze

Wi-Fi Networking - Finds nearby Wi-Fi networks and sends information about them to Apple to help the company build a database of open Wi-Fi networks.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It's interesting that Apple would want to have a database of open Wi-Fi networks. Would they share that information with us, perhaps using a map? Or maybe you could ask Siri, "Where is the nearest free Wi-Fi?"

6. iPutz

iPutz Contributor
    Bronze

I'm guessing they are more interested in commercial or public free WiFi hotspots (libraries, some drinking and eating establishments etc.) rather than Joe Schmuck who left his home WiFi unsecured. Then again Joe Schmuck deserves what he gets, or rather what he is handing out free, for not securing his network.

Sent using my iPhone 5

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I thought I'd post here, rather than opening a new thread.
    Comcast Xfinity has just made my home a public wifi hotspot. It's a second wifi signal in addition to my private signal. Anyone with Comcast/Xfinity service can log in with their own Comcast email and password. Others who use a Comcast modem or router will also get a second wifi signal. They are separate and not on the same bandwidth. It shows as xfinitywifi. I logged on and tested it's strength. It's not as strong a signal as my private wifi, but not too bad. It got 16 Mbps download, where my private one gets 27+ Mbps. This might be cool if everyone used a Comcast modem or router. But most, I think, buy their own. They have an app that helps find the hotspots. If you have Xfinity and use the Comcast hardware, you may be a hotspot too. :D

8. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

They did that to my office too. I already had three wifi connections and now have a fourth. I was a little upset seeing they didn't ask me if they could install it in my office. They never mentioned how secure it was. The good news is that everything else in my office is secured.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yeah, a heads up would have been nice. It appears to be secure. I think you can call and have it disabled.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

I partially don't mind it since their goal is to make wifi everywhere. Though disabling it wouldn't be enough to make me comfortable. I'd totally disconnect it. It just gives the office that "big brother" atmosphere.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

There's not even that many hotspots in my area. Most are businessses. Most people own their modem/router. They can't be hotspots. I rent my modem from Comcast. This is one of those things that might work ok in large cities, but not in smalltown USA.

13. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

The xfinity hotspot is a separate device that they install with the docsis modem before the modem/router. It's not tied to our router at all.

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You lost me. Comcast added a wifi signal to my modem that will allow any Comcast Xfinity customer to log in to and use. The signal's not that strong. One would have to sit on my front porch to pick it up. The same xfinitywifi signal will be used by others who use their hardware.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1399165309.698407.jpg

15. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Here when they install it, it's a separate device, ie: Wifi only modem. It doesn't broadcast from our SMC Business Gateway modem/router which all our other routers are connected to. It's actually a physical little wifi transmitter similar in size to an Apple TV only all white.
    Also understand, here, there are several different devices installed. A docsis 3.0 modem, which to hang the telephones off, then the SMC Business Gateway, which is a 4-port router as well. Now, thirdly..the xfinity wifi transmitter which is tied directly to the cable line.

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

17. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Comcast makes me laugh:

"'We encourage all subscribers to keep this feature enabled as it allows more people to enjoy the benefits of XFINITY Wi-Fi around the neighborhood,' the company says."

Yeah, you know what, Comcast? I'm also gonna buy a hundred bottled waters, and hand a bottle to people walking by on my street who seem like they need to be rehydrated.

I'm calling on Monday to make sure I opt out of this bullsh$&. Even though I'm not seeing that "xfinitywifi" wireless network that you have, @Ledsteplin .

19. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Are you a businesss or home customer? I saw you mentioned "SMC Business Gateway." Maybe it's different for businessses.

20. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

I am both, though the businesss is what I'm referring to. In this area, the SMC Business Gateway is just a brand of modem/router that is used in both home and businessses here.

21. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If you own your modem/router, you need not worry. As a customer, however, you could log in to mine.