Wi-Fi Networking

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
If you own your modem/router, you need not worry. As a customer, however, you could log in to mine.
That's kinda scary. My wifi is secured with a hidden SSID as well as a encryption key. I had someone at a customers businesss log onto their router (because they used the default password) and change the SSID to "you should have changed the password". This is the kind of screw up that I wouldn't tolerate in my businesss and the customers networks that I am responsible for. Fortunately for them, my tech and I were having lunch there and were able to log onto their router with our phones and change the SSID and password.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
That's kinda scary. My wifi is secured with a hidden SSID as well as a encryption key. I had someone at a customers businesss log onto their router (because they used the default password) and change the SSID to "you should have changed the password". This is the kind of screw up that I wouldn't tolerate in my businesss and the customers networks that I am responsible for. Fortunately for them, my tech and I were having lunch there and were able to log onto their router with our phones and change the SSID and password.
When I say mine, I mean the 2nd signal they added. It's on a different bandwidth than my private wifi signal. They say it's secure, but hackers do things all the time that make you go :eek:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I rent the modem from Comcast. One of the little lights is almost always flashing, even when I'm not using the 'net. That's just sketchy. I don't like it.

Do you know that your secondary network MIGHT be usable by non-customers?
— >>
"
  • Limited Free Trial: At selectXFINITY WiFi hotspot locations, visitors are allowed two 60-minute complimentary sessions per month. You must wait 24 hours between sessions."
It's all in their official FAQ:

http://www.comcast.com/WiFi/faqs.htm?SCRedirect=true

Take a couple of minutes to read over it, and then you may want to call them and opt out of the program. :)

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I rent the modem from Comcast. One of the little lights is almost always flashing, even when I'm not using the 'net. That's just sketchy. I don't like it.

— >>
"
  • Limited Free Trial: At selectXFINITY WiFi hotspot locations, visitors are allowed two 60-minute complimentary sessions per month. You must wait 24 hours between sessions."

Take a couple of minutes to read over it, and then you may want to call them and opt out of the program. :)
Yeah, I read over that. I'll read it again. :)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

— >>
"

Is it your wifi indicator flashing? Mine does it all the time. I don't think it's selling me out to the NSA, though.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
This kind of thing irritates me more than scares me. I mean, who's to say that a comcast customer is a good person to be using your wifi?
I think it will be great for guest. All they need do is log in with their info. I wouldn't have to give them my long wifi passcode. It's like I said, the signal's not very strong. Someone driving by would not pick it up. And so what if they did? It's the same signal they might pick up 5 miles down the road at Big John's Tire Repair.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Is it your wifi indicator flashing? Mine does it all the time. I don't think it's sellng me out to the NSA, though
Yep, that's the one! I'm looking at it now and it's flashing rapidly like if it was on blue meth or something. I'm not worried about the NSA spying on me; I just don't want to be giving freebie Wi-Fi access to anyone whilst simultaneously slowing down my own. Even if the slowdown is minimal, I simply don't like Miami people enough to make that sacrifice. If I lived in almost any other state, or even a bit further north of Miami, I'd feel differently. It's shocking how much more polite people are the minute you go even as few as 100 miles north of the hotbed of nastiness and rudeness that is Miami.

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
It's shocking how much more polite people are the minute you go even as few as 100 miles north of the hotbed of nastiness and rudeness that is Miami.
Haha. When I was a kid, I hitchhiked down through Miami. We were picked up by a couple guys who just stole a van and were going to take it to have the VIN etched off it. Lol. Good times.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
FWIW, my rented Comcast modem has lights flashing all the time as well (even when I'm not using the internet). I always thought it was because I had it connected to my Apple TV via ethernet. I believe my modem is broadcasting "xfinitywifi" as well. Gonna call and opt out for sure...

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
The routers broadcast the SSID all the time, so I wouldn't worry about seeing the wifi indicator flashing a lot. Mine does the same ( verizon )

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Consider that if you broadcast your SSID, then any passing by wifi device/vehicle, momentarily connects to your signal to show available networks. They just can't connect to it if it's secured. I've always hid my SSID. (Except at work where it's NSA surveillance van)

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Consider that if you broadcast your SSID, then any passing by wifi device/vehicle, momentarily connects to your signal to show available networks. They just can't connect to it if it's secured. I've always hid my SSID. (Except at work where it's NSA surveillance van)
If they're passing by, they won't see or connect to anything long. And my house is roughly 230' from the street. My private wifi is locked. If someone did get close enough, they'd see a padlock on my wifi. The new 2nd signal that is not connected to my private signal would show, but they would have to log in to pick it up. The Comcast wifi signals do not reach out far. They have good speeds, but just don't go out far at all. I'm going to enjoy having the xfinitywifi. If someone did steal a bit of my bandwidth, I'd be ok. I get 300 gb a month. In April we used 17 gb.
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1399257031.308804.jpg