Wi-Fi problems

coyotensc

Sep 15, 2007
i've had my iPhone since july 26, bought new from an AT&T store, and i've been browsing these forums since. ran into my first problem, so i figured i would post to see if anyone can help me out. i've read through a lot of posts trying to find if anyone has had similar problems.

when i got my iPhone, i connected to my wireless network at home with no problems, WEP key was accepted and i have been able to use the connection without problems.

starting yesterday (friday) i started getting errors in safari saying that "safari can't open the page because it can't find the server". when i go to the weather or stocks it says "updating..." for a few seconds, then "update failed". also when i go to youtube it says it cannot connect to the youtube server.

the weird part is i am connected to my wifi network. i have full strength on my iPhone. i can go into my wireless router and see that my iPhone has an ip address. i can go into my iPhone network settings and verify that it has the same ip address as in the DHCP table on my router. i can even ping my iPhone and get a response. everything points to the connection being there, but yet nothing works.

if i switch wifi off, everything works fine over edge (just slow).

i have tried putting it in airplane mode, turning it off, restarting it, resetting network settings, even a restore through iTunes.

i just called the Apple tech support but they are closed, so i am going to call back in the morning...

please help... i don't know what else to do.

jnowaczyk

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Michigan
www.gsmunlockonline.com
what is your IP address ? go to your wireless on the iPhone ck the number 192 .168 .1 .? is normal for a router like linksys and netgear

can you login into you router using a computer ? try pulling the power cord on the router to reset it see if it helps if not try a factory reset on the router

**** SORRY just re read what you did ... seems somthing changed some ware try taking off the web key on both reset both see what happens
but if you have full bars it has to think its working

coyotensc

Sep 15, 2007
my iPhone's ip address is 192.168.1.100

this is the same address that shows up in the DHCP table when i log into my router. i also have a laptop that is on the same wireless network, so i know the wireless network is working.

i forgot to mention, that i went to a friends house today and tried getting on his wireless network and had the same problem. was able to put in the WEP password for his network, got full signal strength on the iPhone, but could not connect to anything. i had my laptop over there and connected to the network just fine on the laptop, and was even able to ping my iPhone from my laptop on his wifi network.

i have reset my router with no luck. also did a firmware update on my router with no luck.

jnowaczyk

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Michigan
www.gsmunlockonline.com
wow ... its a stumper sorry im no help :eek: seem like something is coruped

no buddy wants to do it but a restore on the iPhone ? just a option as Apple will prob ask you to do it anyhow . good luck man i feel for you !

Let us know what works for you may save someone at some time

coyotensc

Sep 15, 2007
i have already done the restore to factory default settings through iTunes.

this morning i have tried it on my home wireless network, and my friends house again, with the same problem. i have full wifi signal, and even have an ip address, but nothing will open on the phone.

lets see what Apple has to say, i'll be calling them in 20 minutes when their tech support opens back up.

i'll post back here to let everyone know what the outcome is.

thanks for your help.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
My WLAN would do the same thing if I did not use a static DNS address--and not the DNS address of my router. The iPhone doesn't play well with certain routers.

Find out what DNS servers your ISP uses (or try 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). Go into the setting for your WLAN connection and enter those IPs as the DNS IPs.

--
Mike

coyotensc

Sep 15, 2007
called Apple support yesterday, and they didn't know what was wrong. they are shipping me a loaner iPhone to use, and they are going to repair mine.

the support guy said its normally $30 for the loaner phone, but would waive the fee.

i should have the loaner tomorrow, and get mine back three days after that.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I seriously doubt a replacement is gonna change anything; what was described is common.

Good luck with that approach...

--
Mike

coyotensc

Sep 15, 2007
My WLAN would do the same thing if I did not use a static DNS address--and not the DNS address of my router. The iPhone doesn't play well with certain routers.

Find out what DNS servers your ISP uses (or try 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). Go into the setting for your WLAN connection and enter those IPs as the DNS IPs.
OK, I went into my router settings, and my ISP was assigning 24.197.97.132 and 24.197.97.134 as the DNS. My laptop works fine using those DNS settings. I looked in my iPhone WLAN network settings for my home wifi network, and it shows the same IP addresses. I set those IP addresses under static and it still does the same thing (shows full wifi signal, but wont connect).

I put in those IP addresses you suggested as the static DNS addresses, and it works fine.

so now my question is... why do the DNS addresses from my ISP work on my laptop, but not on my phone...

also... am i going to have to put in these static DNS address for every connection that doesn't work? is there a way to set the DNS no matter what connection you are using?

Sep 20, 2007
iPhone WiFi Fix- Thank You!

:laugh2:

Tinman,

Thank you! Your advise is dead-on. My iPhone plays nice with our Linksys router at the office, but not my Netgear router at home. DNS is the key.

rbarger

Sep 21, 2007
Michigan, United States
I've run into a similar issue.

My Wifi has been working very well in just about every place I go.

Both at home and at work, i'm wrigged up with highspeed wireless using a linksys router. It works, and well.

I've gone to cafes and coffee houses as well as other places that have wifi, it all seems to work well.

I have a friend that I go see, and she has wireless wrigged up at her place, only her router is a Belkin.

Everytime I try to connect and enter the key, I get a message that says "Unable to connect to "network" "

Anyone else use a belkin router that maybe knows how to get around this issue?

Thanks in advance!

SmithG

Aug 6, 2010
Ok, I noticed this problem about a month ago, my iPhone was unable to connect to a wi-fi network any more. I have a network at home and several members of my family also have devices that detected wi-fi. I also visited several locations in my city that are guaranteed to have wi-fi, again I couldn't detect any network but other people could.

Today I did a restore on the iPhone. After it was complete I checked for wi-fi again it doesn't detect anything. The funny thing is, before and after the restore, when looking in Settings>General>About my iPhone does have a Wi-Fi address.

Is there any thing more I can do to fix this problem? Or is my iPhone damaged and needs hardware repairs?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
That looks and sounds like a hardware problem, book an appointment at any Apple Store and seek a replacement.

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
Ok, I noticed this problem about a month ago, my iPhone was unable to connect to a wi-fi network any more. I have a network at home and several members of my family also have devices that detected wi-fi. I also visited several locations in my city that are guaranteed to have wi-fi, again I couldn't detect any network but other people could.

Today I did a restore on the iPhone. After it was complete I checked for wi-fi again it doesn't detect anything. The funny thing is, before and after the restore, when looking in Settings>General>About my iPhone does have a Wi-Fi address.

Is there any thing more I can do to fix this problem? Or is my iPhone damaged and needs hardware repairs?
Did you ever get a resolution to this? I'm curious because I've just started having problems with my wifi that sound similar. I'm JB'd on a 4.0.1 3Gs, and all of the sudden the phone doesn't seem to be able to benefit from my 2WIRE router (though it shows up as checked under the "choose a network" list). My connection had been fine since moving in and getting the wifi set up a few weeks ago, and now...nothing. I've reset network settings and rebooted the phone, and other wifi dependent devices seem to work just fine. I have not as yet tried to see if it can connect on other wifi locations, but will try that out today.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I had the same issues with my phone, a 3Gs, and it was apparently a hardware issue. Went the Apple store in my area and got it replaced with 'no problem. It's been working fine ever since

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
I had the same issues with my phone, a 3Gs, and it was apparently a hardware issue. Went the Apple store in my area and got it replaced with 'no problem. It's been working fine ever since
Haha, router reboot fixed the problem. Pays to fully troubleshoot before you post in my case.
:dft008:surprised

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Haha, router reboot fixed the problem. Pays to fully troubleshoot before you post in my case.
:dft008:surprised
Glad it was an easy fix for you. And we all forget the simple things sometimes, at least I will...