Widget development?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Does anyone know about developing widgets for the iPhone? Is Apple allowing people to do this? I know Steve Jobs has said you don't want to put just any software on your phone that's going to muck things up, but I haven't heard anything specifically about widget development. The way the interface is designed it almost looks like OSwidget and not OSX. :)

My own issue is that I have a ton of software on my Treo that I use constantly. When I switch over to the iPhone I'm going to be in a bit of a predicament. There are existing widgets on my Mac that can cover most of those programs, but are people going to be able to port those over to the iPhone?

I really don't want to have to carry around a Treo AND an iPhone. :(

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I think Apple needs to OK everything that goes on the phone. However this has never stopped determined "hackers" before. Even now the Next Gen consoles have been cracked. It just takes time.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Speaking of Widgets it'd be cool if they included Leopard's "make any page a widget" right on the iPhone. It'd be super simple on the iPhone... just "pinch" to the right screen dimensions, double tap to set the widget, and you're done.

May 6, 2007
United States
I think Apple needs to OK everything that goes on the phone. However this has never stopped determined "hackers" before. Even now the Next Gen consoles have been cracked. It just takes time.
I agree. I do not think Apple will just allow anybody to make widgets, especially not before they open the doors to 3rd party software. It's a matter of time and waiting until we see if they will allow people to make widgets and make them available after a stage of approval, though.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
I'm just hoping for a movie times Widget.
I'll write one myself if I have to.

Sort by movie or theater.. would be soo nice.

May 6, 2007
United States
I'm just hoping for a movie times Widget.
I'll write one myself if I have to.

Sort by movie or theater.. would be soo nice.
Yeah, that would be pretty cool, and it is likely that there will be such widget(s) pretty close to the release date. It is a very popular idea, I would guess, and Apple probably has some deal with one of the websites that do movie times. I hope this one comes through, too.

OMG, YOU CAN TOUCH YOUR MOVIE TIMES!

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
If the coverflow on the iPhone is the same as in iTunes, then you should be able to browse movies in cover flow, they'd only be still poster frames though...:(

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
It would be a crying shame if Apple ends up disallowing widget development... they did all the work to port Safari to work on ARM... they could easily limit the api if they're worried about trouble.

html

May 16, 2007
Well wigdets are just webpages anyways so couldn't developers just publish their widgets to the web that way you could use your favorite MacOS widgets on the iPhone.